1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th gen KDSS questions and more

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Pelican, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Oct 2, 2016 at 5:45 AM
    Pelican

Pelican [OP] New Member

Member:
    I lust for Gen 5, had lusted for a Gen 4 when we had no $$$ (kids in diapers) but owned a 3VZ-E model that had its head gasket issue masked. Toyota had ceased recalls on that engine by the time I asked, and we were so disappointed. I think we couldn't be believe Toyota could make a mistake ! I sold it for 1/3 of my cost after only 6 months ownership. I never knew if the gearing was unique but it sure resisted >55 mph. Not surprising, it is still goin'.

However, in the Gen 5 -- if that's what the latest is -- is the KDSS wonderful ? I see it takes >$40k to get that, in a Trail or Trail Prem or the fem-focused Limited. I'd heard KDSS was great a few years ago but I wonder if now, some years later, whether it is proven. I can't imagine it involves cheap repair.

I've written Toyota to ask, "Why don't you give us a diesel or some kind of less thirsty engine and also split AC or some Limited features in a utilitarian version ?" I understand its a relatively big package but I am now an able (read: graying) buyer who wants some creature comforts in a vehicle that can tow a boat, be a mobile "shop", and then take others to say.. dinner, a movie, etc. Any comments appreciated !

2. Oct 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    TejasRunner

TejasRunner New Member

Member:
    I bought the Trail Premium with tube steps and mats for $37,400. It's fantastic. Mine doesn't have KDSS.

3. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    Dimhof

Dimhof More is better

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner trail with KDSS
    I have a '15 trail with kdss and have driven an sr5 of the same year without. Kdss gives a more firm and planted feel on road compared to a floatier less stable feel without. Offroad I have nothing to compare it to first hand but all the reports I have read have been positive and we're well worth the extra cash. If you plan on upgrading the suspension, others have argued that it makes sense to save money with the base model sr5, but i am not disappointed. Hope this helps

4. Nov 4, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Our Canadian Trail model came with KDSS, locker rear, moon roof, running boards, and pretty well all the goodies. Glad to get Dimhof's report as we're planning a lot more off-roading next year and, to date, are very pleased with the highway handling, even with the Goodyear Duratrac knobbies. - Ted

Dimhof likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top