1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen Armor

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by SixthSnail, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020TRDORP
    Frickin money pit
    Been watching this since I took delivery of the runner. Only thing I’m finding hard is I don’t need or want a winch. In 10 years of having the Tacoma I never needed my winch or even used it except to unspool and respool. So added weight and expense..... I even left my winch on my Tacoma when I traded in.

2. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    hafrog

hafrog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    The Emerald City
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Premium “The Black Pearl”
    2” front lift, 1” back, Victory Blitz bumper, Baja 20” light bar and Engo 10k winch
    this my third 4X4 with a winch, my last one an ‘07 FJ didn’t have one. The two with Winches both got me “unstuck” a total of 5 times and pulled about 7 other wheelers out, I own and operate funeral homes and have pulled many a flower van out of a cemetery and a a few of our hearses (the FJ did most with a tow strap and the ones I couldn’t get the proper angle on we paid a tow truck). I also have a tree farm and a winch is great for clearing the roads through the farm. For me the winch is peace of mind when wheeling but main use will be the others mentioned above (and I might have to pull my mother in law out of bed ;)).

BSmart66 likes this.
  3. Sep 21, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    BSmart66

BSmart66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2020 Metallic Grey "Venture" Edition
    None yet.....
    so, honest question before I go down same route...what were you thinking you would do to need the winch? My plan/idea is to use mine for ‘adventuring’ - first service roads, early season scouting trips, WABDR and IDBDR. If a witch is really necessary for tat stuff then I just saved some moolah!!

4. Sep 21, 2020 at 8:38 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020TRDORP
    Frickin money pit
    I never had a situation where it was easier to winch out of than just throw a maxtrac down and creep out. I didn’t go as hard as other folks do simply because the Tacoma was the daily. If you think you’ll need it get it. But to me it was just another thing I paid a good chunk of change for that never was utilized. I’m not saying they aren’t necessary by any means. I’m just saying I personally didn’t need it.

BSmart66, hafrog and SlvrSlug like this.
  5. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    BSmart66

BSmart66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    None yet.....
    That makes complete sense! Plus Maxtrax are cheaper than a winch!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  6. Oct 16, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    Fltslr

Fltslr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock 4runner Pro
    After looking and looking, I ordered Budbuilt sliders, 5 degree angle, plated w/dimples up, and a kicker.

MyWyfsRnnr and Snickel Fritz like this.
  7. Oct 24, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr Have you seen the mall?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    Look at the budbuilt slider install thread. I actually wrote up some more yesterday because someone asked me some questions. I think you made a good call, I am still happy with mine and took some pics of them after using them as a step everyday since we put them on. We are still very happy with our purchase.

Fltslr likes this.
  8. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    Fltslr

Fltslr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    Link?

9. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    Fltslr

Fltslr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    My other build design plans are hefty alum. prerunner bumper with lights with warn winch and synthetic rope and a hefty fab rear bumper with lights. Besides wife and 4 big dogs all weight will be on the Boreas XT teardrop

10. Oct 25, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr Have you seen the mall?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
  11. Dec 12, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    TXKK626

TXKK626 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture Edition
    First-time 4Runner owner since November with a 2021 Venture Edition. Looking at my first mod and need some help deciding on one of these three step/nerf bars. Will likely only engage in light off-roading a few times a year, and there aren’t a lot of boulders in NE Indiana, so I don’t think rock sliders will be necessary.

Does anyone have experience with any of these products or installations? With runningboardwarehouse.com?

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/p/n-fab-nerf-step-rs/v/toyota/4runner/2021/
    upload_2020-12-12_15-22-3.jpg

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/p/westin-outlaw-nerf-step-bars/v/toyota/4runner/2021/
    upload_2020-12-12_15-22-56.jpg

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/p/n-fab-black-cab-length-nerf-bars/v/toyota/4runner/2021/

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  12. Dec 14, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    BSmart66

BSmart66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    None yet.....

Hey there! Welcome! Like you new 4Runner owner. On the advice of two other friends, my first mods were new A/T tires and 'sliders'. Now, I haven't really looked at you links too deeply, but nerf bars remind me of the chrome side steps. Lots of guys and gals here take there rigs on way more burly stuff than I intend to. "So why get sliders?" Well, IF you do get a little squirrelly one day and crimp your rocker panel or doors, that's a darn spendy fix, especially with all the eletrickery in these vehicles.

So, after long research, and knowing the current lead times, I order some C4 sliders. I even spent the extra 80 bucks for the DOM tubing. I bought sliders for the 'just in case' aspect and that they will slide, not hook, the obstacle. Much like I think one version you show here. I've also seen a picture on this forum somewhere of someone getting broadsided - the sliders actually saved the vehicle and the little kid inside from side impact damage. So there's that too.

While there aren't many boulders in IN, you never know where you might travel in the future. Say you do head to Moab, Colorado, Oregon, etc. The initial "buy once, cry once, glad I did" might be piece of mind.

TXKK626 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top