1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen Armor

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by SixthSnail, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Jan 16, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    doxidad

doxidad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORP MGM W/KDSS
    N-Fab Nerf Bars, interior LEDs, RAV blind spot mirrors, Nox Lux blackout kit, kicker dash speakers,XnenonDepot LED Pro Highs/Lows +DRL
    They only sell one type that will fit both non-KDSS and KDSS. Saves making 2 versions of their different varieties.

WallyT4R, CCt4r and jgcaps like this.
  2. Jan 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    CCt4r

CCt4r New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD off-road Premium KDSS
    Icon 2.5 RR w/CDCV Icon 2.5RR rears w/CDCV Icon billet UCA W/delta joints Icon 3" overland rear coil springs
    Logical enough.

3. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz New Member

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
  4. Apr 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 4RTrdPro, ‘17 TacoTrdPro, ‘10 Tundra RCSB, ‘07 FJC, ‘06 4R, ‘76 FJ40
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    At first glance they reminded me of the SleeOffroad sliders, and then I saw the next pic.
    Looks to me that they would collect a lot of debri up under the inside. It’s no completely boxed. I say that’s a perfect place for wet mud to slowly cause corrosion.
    I rolled with Demello Hybrid sliders. I like the strength that the square tube gives on the main rail, while using the round tube on the exterior.
    I will post some pics of my armor as well.

Snickel Fritz likes this.
  5. Apr 8, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz New Member

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    I noticed that after I posted, that looks like a horrible design imo as well.
    Can't wait to see the pics!

6. May 1, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    sfoffroad

sfoffroad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Limited
    Has anyone replaced the whole Limited grill/bumper with an SR5 grill/bumper? I can't find it again, but I believe in some discussion of replacing the Limited grill with a TRD Pro, someone said the SR5 actually matches up with the Limited's attachment points.

7. May 1, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    sfoffroad

sfoffroad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Limited
    Also, has anyone used Line X to blacken bumper or any chrome?

8. Sep 12, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    rlhiner

rlhiner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2011 4Runner Trail Edition
    4xInnovations Bolt-On Rock Sliders
    I just joined today and am looking forward to some good discussions. I have only made one mod so far and I am using the 4xInnovations bolt-on sliders. They seem to be the strongest and best designed sliders for actual use. They even posted a video on Youtube of them drop testing them on a rock and it is pretty impressive.

I am a licensed Civil Engineer in NC, SC, GA, and AZ and have been doing engineering design for 29 years. When I wanted sliders for my “new to me” 2011 4Runner, I spent 6 months reading and researching everything I could find because I wanted something that was well made, strong, and affordable. I looked at everything from weld-it-yourself kits to save money to bolt-on and, frankly, nothing really compared to the build quality and strength that was evident in the 4xInnovations design. I could tell that these were built the way I would build them and that was what I wanted. You can tell that every opportunity was taken to make them stronger in a way that minimized the stress transferred to the frame rails. Pretty much all of the other bolt-on sliders attach with between 6 and 10 bolts per side, but these use 17 or more on each side. Watch the video on YouTube for more detail at YouTube. There is also a video on installation and a drop test video (which nobody else has done).

My only problem was that the website said 2014-2018 and my 4Runner is a 2011. I bugged Adam at 4xInnovations for about 4 months, sent him photos and measurements, called him and talked about the install, and finally we concluded that the sliders would probably fit my 2011 after all. I placed the order and couldn't be happier. Installing them was a breeze (after three coats of bare metal primer and three coats of satin black). I did it myself using a floor jack with a 2x4 to spread the load and the only difficult part was getting the KDSS accumulator pulled away from the frame so I could slip the slider underneath it (it is pretty tight). Once everything was mounted, I added grip tape to the top (12" x 2" 80 grit pre-cut strips from Amazon) and they look fantastic. I attached a couple photos below.

Products Discussed in

To Top