1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th gen 4runner products

Discussion in 'SOS Offroad Concepts' started by SOS CONCEPTS, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Jun 18, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

SOS CONCEPTS [OP] SOS Concepts Vendor

Member:
    On the trail
    Full Plate bumper starting at $1,050 (shown with options)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Streamline starting at $600
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sliders starting at $550
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skid plate trio
    jgrgzOsSglnaMEdQo-P-MJOueWCAFXSNAKbKeD3T_ba8876eb07da931a8ef448ced80bffe0d69d32e4.jpg
    Pqy0WRRyR5k8bx7wbIFo1DnsQu7fO0jlBfxQJBCF_7c9d782d4b8ba02526c13fc0d3a0615fbe616177.jpg
    e3IDa2gxkJMWOHkZYH9fAmGwFvobjOvbJjgmD9c0_1a2d34d975090004e381b8110ce962e722f8c300.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. Jun 18, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    Teaser of the Full rear bumper replacement to come!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    4buggy, SC2SC and mcharfauros like this.
  3. Jun 18, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    SC2SC

SC2SC Likes Pineapple on Pizza

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    OEM Beauty!
    :yes:

4. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    @4Runner fun look above at the first post there are some pictures here.

5. Feb 2, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I hope the rear bumper comes in aluminum!

6. Feb 2, 2020 at 6:07 AM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    No but we are working on a lighter weight option that will require cutting of the factory plastic one. Also we are going to do some tweaks to this one to help with the weight. It is a HEAVY one that's for sure. A lot of the weight is in the dual swingout. The ladder can be tweaked to weigh less.

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 2, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I like the full rear bumper, cutting the plastic and leaving some of it there, only partially attached, and with a raw edge like some manufacturers do, is a weak point in the design. But weight is also important, life is full of compromises. You guys do great work!

8. Feb 2, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Its not a weak point in the design, the body mounts are rubber, there IS some flex between the body and frame. The steel bumpers bolt directly to the frame meaning there will be movement between it and the body. Full replacements like this need huge gaps or you will damage the body or lights of the vehicle when actually putting it to use.

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 2, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    Yeah the "raw" edge is covered by some edge trim. Thanks for the kind words.
    This is true to a point, but on the 4r we can tighten the gaps up a little. They really aren't as bad as you may think, or as bad as the Tacoma. Also painting black, what won't be shown by putting the factory bumper back on, will shadow and hide the gaps well until you really start getting down and looking. You are correct though the gaps need to be taken into account for that flex. We've seen other manufacturers not take that into account and just go for aesthetics with tight fitments and it ends up scratching and dinging things up when offroading. We use to concentrate on getting a nice tight fit but soon realized that was a fail and started backing off and creating some space for the reason you said. Very few people understand this point I am glad you understand it!

We took Josh down some pretty rough trails at Windrock Park with this bumper and our gaps ~1/8" or less didn't touch a thing. The front horns and body area flex a lot more, the 4r rear section is pretty stout and rigid.

jgcaps and Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Feb 2, 2020 at 7:11 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Have you dropped the rear bumper on some rocks coming down a ledge? That’s typically the scenario that causes the most damage.

Also I just checked out your website, you guys need to get a lot more product pics and info on there. your “5th gen” front bumper for example is just 2 pics on a face lift, it says 5th gen - does it fit a pre face lift because there’s no mention of years. There’s no pics of the internal structures, no pics of mounting point, no pics of the recovery points tied into something structural, no mention of weight, no explanation of options (what does “copy of go light weight” actually mean?)

It looks to be a decent product (but then again they all do) but I can tell you with absolute certainty I would not spend a dime through that website as it sits now. If you were local I wouldn’t mind coming by and checking it out in person first but your website doesn’t instill confidence.

11. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    Yes he came down hard on many ledges and rocks. I was behind him the whole time. I was wincing every time because he was new to offroading and going a little too fast coming down ledges. No flex into the body what so ever. He actually bent up his tie rods pretty good because of the lack of wheeling experience.

The website is getting worked on little by little, we know that is a downside. We actually just did a huge revamp this week. Small company putting work in elsewhere; building, testing, refining, repeat. We'd rather put the money and product where it shows best on the trails vs. into a fancy website with lots of pics and information but doesn't actually preform. It's a fine line, we realize our weak points and are working on them. Thanks for the constructive criticism and another set of eyes on the website on what needs improvement. Some others completely missed those (like me). :anonymous::fistbump:

Copy of Go light weight is aluminum option. I don't know why it does the copy part. It has something to do with the formatting of the website. Since this is handled in house and we are definitely not tech wizards (more like grease monkeys) it's not easy for us to figure out some of the formatting quirks. Even the banner on the home page we were trying to update and there were some issues with the pictures. We are working through this as best we can.

As far as fitment on a pre-face lift that is uncertain. I know some other manufacturers have fit just with different trimming. All of our modeling has been with the post face lift. We were asked this question once before and I am uncertain. It seems like the post is the most popular of this model and the most modded.

Some of the other guys on here that have run our products, been to the shop, and seen us wheel can vouch for our products. @Trident904 @BravesRunner @scottalot @Daria

If you want to see some of the Tacoma product first hand (similar in design and style same quality and consstruction) a couple of us are headed to CO then to MOAB this summer.

Don't take this as excuses to not change or dismiss what you have said. This is actually our best way of improving and it is greatly appreciated. Hell a lot of our product changes and design has come from end users giving feedback.:thumbsup:

SC2SC, jgcaps, Oldtoyotaguy and 3 others like this.
  12. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Daria

Daria Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    Desert
    Vehicle:
    N+1
    AAB6244D-BDC4-4EBE-AB03-18110F699830.jpg

FA7023FF-3D92-4BC2-BC75-26D6D2A11D17.jpg

Used to hangout at the shop. Website isn’t great but it’s improved over the years. I usually communicate with Eddy by email. Hate texting him because I know he’s a busy man. I know the quality is worth it. I saw dozens of trucks running SOS At Uwharrie before I got any of my own. Even after moving across the country and getting a 4R, I still went with SOS. I think he’s pretty affordable considering the other offerings. I also like his sliders over other options, better looking imo.

SC2SC likes this.
  13. Feb 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    BravesRunner

BravesRunner IG: bravesrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM Trail
    265/70R17 BFG KO2s, NFab steps
    If I could afford to have SOS products on my 4runner I would be covered from front to back (currently got that single income household while wife is in school). I’ve seen them tested and abused with no issues whatsoever (most of the time getting slammed on rocks). The SOS guys are all about actually getting out and wheeling in the armor they represent. IMO, the website is there for ordering purposes and to show you a picture of the product. A quick search on TacomaWorld.com and here will give you all the “product testing” I think you’re looking for and will tell you they are out using the armor on trips and experiences instead of most of the mall crawlers you see on Instagram (just my opinion and not SOS’s). Eddy is a great guy and has opened his shop up numerous times for us to use and hang out for mod days, etc. If something’s not right he will fix it and when you email the company you are talking to him so that says a lot. He also has better lead times than most “big” fan shops out there with only a 3 man crew so he’s in the shop pounding it out most days of the week.

jgcaps, Trident904 and SlvrSlug like this.
  14. Feb 2, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 Freelance Mammographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    I can, in fact, vouch for the rigidity of SOS armor. The high clearance rear I had for my 3rd gen Taco which was the first of its kind with bedside protection hoops saved my bedside while towing @JimboAnz off of a trail through a mud hole with a hidden boulder in it after he blew his rear end. The bubba rope I was towing him with jerked my ass end into a mini-van sized rock formation when he hit the hidden boulder in the mud hole. No damage other than a scratch on the bumper.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    BravesRunner and SlvrSlug like this.
  15. Feb 2, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The 4 Runner front bumper looks great, I must say!

SOS CONCEPTS[OP] likes this.
  16. Feb 2, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    You want your bumper sent to PC now right?

Trident904[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 3, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    Diff breather, Camburg UCAs, dobinsons 3" lift, front n’ rear steel, RTT, scuba exuiped, OBA, and some lights
    Looks like for the skids you have to remove the bars that go from the frame to the crossmember. Are those bars just for skid protection and not for frame rigidity?

SlvrSlug likes this.
  18. Feb 3, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    Trident904

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium
    King 2.5 with resis, C4 Hybrid Front, TC Uppers, Victory Rack, Smitty 12k winch, 17x9 -38 SCS F5’s with 295/70 Ridge Graps
    Yup. Already paid Eddy and what not.

Since I'm picking it up on the 19th and will likely be installing in a parking lot somewhere nearby, I'd rather not have to paint it while on the road.

19. Feb 3, 2020 at 6:11 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    Ok cool just making sure he got you squared away with that.

Install it in his parking lot and rope Justin into helping you when you come :rofl:Don't tell him I said to do that. :gossip:

Once you get it done send me a bunch of pics you always get good ones and we are working on the Website and other stuff and really could use better and more/updated pics.

Trident904[QUOTED] and SlvrSlug like this.
  20. Feb 3, 2020 at 8:40 PM
    Trident904

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium
    Right on. I have no idea where to cut on the 4Runner, lol. Hopefully I don’t fuck it up. Will have my winch to install as well.

Once installed, I’m meeting up with a buddy and we are heading to Hurricane Creek and some other trails on the way to Windrock. There will be pics.

21. Feb 3, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    Hurricane Creek is hit or miss at this point. I've been getting mixed reports. One guy went this passed weekend but some say they've had it gated or police posting there to keep people from riding it. Too many of these overland groups taking 10+ rigs down it at once and others veering off and onto private property or just tearing up the road.

22. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    BravesRunner

BravesRunner IG: bravesrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM Trail
    265/70R17 BFG KO2s, NFab steps
    I was just up on Max Patch the other weekend and the upper end of hurricane didn’t have a road closed sign where it meets Max Patch Rd. If my wife wasn’t with me I might would’ve ventured down to see what it looked like. There was snow up there whenever we were up and I’m pretty sure they got more so it may be a little sloppy @Trident904. Just can’t tell you 100% if it’s open but I didn’t see a gate or a sign.

Trident904 likes this.
  23. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Trident904

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad Premium
    We have that same problem down here in Florida. All of our shit is getting closed because the overland newbs only have respect for the killer IG pic that they had to go off trail on to private property to get.

24. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    El Mamito USMC

El Mamito USMC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    wifes 2016 4Runner SR5
    still stock
    any plans for a ladder ?

25. Feb 18, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
    We have one on our dual swingout rear bumper.

26. Feb 18, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    On the trail
To Top