1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd is very loud, has a hard time going back to 2wd.

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Shauncho, May 29, 2014.

1. May 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok so I have this '99 4runner that I bought used and 4wd was seldom used, if ever, over the life of the vehicle. It engages in 4hi but when it does, it's pretty noisy. I've never owned a 4wd vehicle before so didn't know if this is standard. I figured I'd hear a little extra noise but not as much as I'm hearing. it's a noisy gear sound. can't quite tell where it's coming from. Also the steering is pretty jittery when in 4hi...little bumps in the road bounce me all over the place. I tried going into 4low once and it kinda grinded a little...eventually went into 4low but then was almost impossible to get back to 2wd so never tried it again because I didn't want to mess anything up.

Also when I am in 4hi and try to go back to 2wd, sometimes it doesn't engage. Yesterday, for instance, I kept trying to get it to go back to 2wd, it wouldn't get out of 4hi...then I had to do a uturn in a cul de sac and in the middle of the turn it finally switched back over. Did turning have anything to do with it going back or was it probably just a coincidence?

2. May 29, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Stuck CAPS

Stuck CAPS Truck killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2007 Nautical Blue Metallic Limited V6 4x4
    ARB Bumper, Some Stuff, Some Other Stuff, and some Stuff.
    I'd say check the T-case and front diff, as you get gear-y noise, but only in 4wd... rear should be fine since no noise in 2wd. 4lo should have an almost... whiny noise for lack of a better word.

Shauncho[OP] likes this.
  3. May 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I think I'll check 'em out to make sure there's actually oil in them and not just sludge...I'm suspecting the latter. hopefully a flush and refill will smooth it all out. I'll report back when I have a chance to work on this.

Products Discussed in

To Top