1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4th gen lift help

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by flachtrey, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Oct 5, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    flachtrey

flachtrey [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    trey
    Sadly ended up getting hit by a jeep owner and totaled the 4runner I had.
    Wanting to start with another 4th gen and still have some questions on what I should do.
    The main question is the lift. Wanting dobinsons 3" with long travel in the rear. Didn't have long travel on my last one and don't know what all I really need to go with it. Bump stops? Extended brake lines?

Also if anyone else has a dobinsons 3" with long travel in the rear what coils did you pick. Won't be doing front and rear bumpers anytime soon most likely but there will be weight added into the rear.

Thanks for any help provided!

2. Oct 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    flachtrey

flachtrey [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    trey
    Or would the best bet just be to stick with no long travel? is long travel really worth it? I had the yotamafia ome and bilstien lift on my last 4runner, don't know what I wanna do with the next one. Want to get much more into overlanding/hitting trails and camping out of it.

3. Oct 7, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    IF you want long travel, have a gas and go nuts with it all. The springs are what lift you higher or not, shocks control compression/rebound. Therefore generally speaking you want it longer. The weight capacity is what your question is to, and since I dont have Dobinsons I wont speculate. However @Crikeymike is chief cheese at Exit Offroad and super helpful. Nothing but praise for him on this site. He can sort you out.

To the rest, yes you'd need extended brake lines, bump stop upgrade is probably a good idea if you want to get into more overlanding and trails, and depending on those trails you might consider limit straps. Also, if I might recommend, adjustable upper and lower rear control arms, and panhard bar. All available at Exit Offroad. I do have all of those on my 4th gen and lemme say they are BEEFY and really nice and simple to install.

Food for thought :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top