1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4th Gen Bushings

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by jb512, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Nov 22, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    jb512

jb512 [OP] New Member

Member:
    2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition
    Hey folks. Glad to be part of the forum.

I've got a 2003 4th Gen - Sport Edition, V8, 2WD. It was built with the XREAS sport suspension. The truck has been feeling rough lately. The engine and drivetrain are in near perfect condition and it drives like a dream, but it rides rough. I think I may need to replace the bushings in the entire vehicle. Any recommendations for complete bushing kits for this model? I'd like to stick with poly bushings (I've heard they're reliable and consistent in their feel and performance). I'd like to get some pricing for bushing parts so I can see how much it will cost and if I need to save up for parts and labor. Brand recommendations are definitely welcome.

Cheers!

2. Nov 25, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    TriaxT4R

TriaxT4R New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 (3/2), Icon 2” rear springs, Fuel Anza, Ridge Grappler 285/70-17
    Well if you think about it, your suspension is 17-18 yrs old...bushings might help a little bit, it might be worth upgrading to even a simple Bilstein 5100 setup.

3. Nov 26, 2020 at 2:05 PM
    jb512

jb512 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Would I need to remove the entier XREAS system or are these swap-out? Or do I need to have the hydraulics disconnected/bypassed? I'd like to add up the cost so I have a goal to reach in the next few months or so.

I'm not an expert car guy or anything, so I'm trying to learn what good options are with this gem of a truck. (I've been quite satisfied with it's performance thus far, but I would like to update it. It's feeling a little rough around the edges and I figured having the suspension and bushings tidied up, plus a few engine adjustments, might be a good place to start.) Any suggestions on body bushing brands? (Again, would like to stick with poly, when possible.)

4. Nov 26, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Yes the XREAS would need to be replaced. It is extremely expensive to fix and it has it's flaws compared to a new aftermarket shock package. People save quite a bit of money on a Biltstein set up, report that they have been happy with them and never look back. I took the XREAS system off of my 5th gen in an afternoon. It involves not only the shocks, but the fluid pumps and the lines that run along the frame.

Replacing bushings is very labor intensive, so a lot of people just replace the upper and lower control arms. I don't know how involved the bushings are to do as I have never done the job, opting to just replace my whole front end with expensive aftermarket parts. This is a great link for the LCA job. It provides part numbers and is a pretty in depth instructional thread.

I have heard that cheap replacement control arms don't last either, so it's kind of a conundrum on how to proceed with the repair and have it be cost effective as well. Doing both the uppers and lowers is recommended, especially at the age your truck is at.

I also replaced my body mount bushings and this made an improvement in ride quality as well.

y=mx+b and jb512[OP] like this.
  5. Nov 26, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    TriaxT4R

TriaxT4R New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 (3/2), Icon 2” rear springs, Fuel Anza, Ridge Grappler 285/70-17
    I used a write up from I believe this forum to remove my XREAS, it’s easy just time consuming. I installed Bilstein 6112 and 5160 in the same day, It took about 10hrs mostly due to the springs on the 6112. Are you trying to stick with stock height?

jb512[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 29, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    jb512

jb512 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks MI-FL Off-Roader! Excellent information. I will certainly be helpful in my search for components. (Great tutorial as well!)

Triax, yes I would like to retain the stock height of the vehicle. I don't plan on much (if any) off roading, which is why I love 4Runners - they are built for general off-roading right from stock. I'm mainly doing highway and city driving (to and from work and running errands and hauling things from time to time). It's my daily, so I'd like it to have a smoother ride - something akin to the Lexus LX4xx counterpart (I'd read in a few places that these two vehicles share the same frame or chassis?). But I don't want the truck to be car-soft. I like the way I can feel the road in the steering wheel and on the gas and brake pedals. I don't want to lose that. Mainly, the ride is getting rough over anything that's not the smoothest tarmac, so I want to do what I can to take the truck back to it's original (or better) smooth and buttery ride (typical of excellent Japanese suspensions).

As an aside, I don't need shocks that are necessarily height-adjustable, although having the ability to lower the height of the truck would be nice (by maybe an inch or so at the most), to lower the center of gravity for highway driving. My concern is that if I lower the ride height, my tires (which are all stock sizes) would rub the wheel wells - so I might just need to stick with stock ride height, I think? And I don't need anything that would be like air-bag suspension with expensive parts and on-the-fly adustable height, either. (Had that on an old 90's Lincoln Mark VIII and it was fun, but it was an expensive and ridiculous repair.)

My main objective is to restore the truck to it's original smooth, buttery ride that it had when new (or enhance it to Lexus quality, perhaps). When I hit a pothole or bump in the road, my truck likes to catch some air and I actually move to one side or the other a few inches (depending on my speed), and it's scaring the hell out of me lol... I've got excellent tires, but they can only do so much to keep the truck on the road.

So I think I'm looking at getting body mount bushings (per MI-FL Off-Roader) and the inevitable removal of the XREAS system plus installation of quality control arms (also per MI-FL Off-Roader) and a recommended suspension system replacement. Triax, you mentioned Bilstein. I've heard nothing but excellent praise for Bilstein's quality and tech over the years, so that seems the most likely way to go. Would the 5100 series be the system that gives me a more smooth road feel?

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to respond to my inquiries. I LOVE my 4Runner - it's been the most solid ride I've ever owned, and my second 4Runner to ever own [used to own an old '96 3rd Gen] - so I want to put money into it and preserve it as long as I can so it doesn't turn into a money sink-hole.

y=mx+b and MI-FL off roader like this.
  7. Nov 29, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    TriaxT4R

TriaxT4R New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport 4x4
    Another option would be a suspension take off from a new 4Runner...ppl are always selling their suspension setups from a new purchase due to them (lifting the vehicle usually)

You have a lot of options but I see most ppl just putting 5100s as an upgrade to their old suspension.

You could buy a stock spring height for front/rear and then set clip to stock height for front suspension.

Not aware of anything you can lower an inch from stock on the fly besides air ride.

jb512[OP] likes this.
  8. Nov 30, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    jb512

jb512 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. I'm stoked about the options and keeping my old girl in proper order. :D

9. Nov 30, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    y=mx+b

y=mx+b New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 v6 4wd
    Hey, I know that guy!

Let me know if you have any questions on the LCA bushings replacement I'd be happy to help. I don't check this forum as often, so not sure how notifications work, but feel free to tag me, pm, etc to get my attention. I'm always on t4r, so if you reply to the thread over there, I'll see it.

I imagine the trailing arms/rear links and panhard bushings are a pretty similar process and I'll eventually get to those. For the UCAs, I'll replace mine with SPC hopefully soon, so I didn't bother with replacing the bushing on those.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  10. Dec 9, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    jb512

jb512 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Awesome, thanks! :) Also, do you guys have any recommendations as to body mount bushing brands? I think I'd like to stick with poly bushings, but there are so many different brand options out there, it's difficult to choose. (Keep in mind, I'd like a soft, smooth, rubbery-feeling ride. I'm not taking my 4Runner off-road.)

***Update***
    I've been reading about bushings and found that poly bushings may not be the best way to go for a street ride? Been reading that poly bushings are better for track type vehicles or very heavy duty vehicles that will see some significant use and wear. I want a smooth street ride, so I think rubber bushings would be best. Any recommendations to quality brands I might buy from? (Not sure if I want to get Toyota OEM bushings, as I'd like a ride that's better than the stock factory bumpy bushings.) Recommendations?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top