1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4runner vs the new Ford bronco

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Ozzy52, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    The Bronco, on paper, is objectively a better vehicle.

2. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Ozzy52

Ozzy52 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sedan avalon
    None
    Agree on paper lol

3. Jul 15, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    They have replacable wheel rings to protect the rims or since beadlocks are not street legal you can order an OEM beadlock conversation kit for the rim

4. Jul 15, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Not sure why people are bringing up the FJ. the FJ wasn't much different than a 4runner. And, it definitely wouldn't compete with a Wrangler or new Bronco in stock form. At least, not the previous FJ.

Unless people just want a goofy looking 4runner?
    :notsure:

I love the idea of Toyota building something to really compete with the Wrangler. I doubt it will ever happen, though.

Prove me wrong, Toyota.:boink:

NightRunner and MI-FL off roader like this.
  5. Jul 15, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I love Toyota, but let's be real. For strictly off-road capability, a Wrangler is superior.

Aside from sheet metal, the FJ was basically a 4runner with a slightly shorter wheelbase.

6. Jul 15, 2020 at 9:05 PM
    Klinsman55

Klinsman55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17 36PSI. KDSS. Tokico suspension. MTM camera system
    My wife has 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid and we went out of town for 5 days. Came back and battery was dead. Dealer service dept suggested she left lights on. Dealership and Toyota main office also claim they’ve never heard of this issue before

DRobs[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 15, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I know someone with a 2020 RAV4 XLE (non hybrid) and the same thing happened. Battery died for no apparent reason, only a month or so after getting the car. Took to dealer for repair. Don't recall exactly what they did, but don't think it was much if anything beyond a jump. it hasn't happened in the several months since, however.

But clearly, this should be a "known issue" for the RAV4. Lots of people have complained about it.

8. Jul 15, 2020 at 11:39 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Did the FJ have the same engine as the 4runner?

A&P likes this.
  9. Jul 15, 2020 at 11:42 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Remember this? FT-4X
    We better hope Toyota brings the FJ back. To me this thing is nothing more than what a guy with a bun buys because he hit a pot hole in his Prius last week. Definitely not family oriented. Toyota Corporate has really been in a state of flux the last several years.

10. Jul 15, 2020 at 11:51 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yes, with a lot of potential. Uber FJ

4runningMan[QUOTED] and A&P like this.
  11. Jul 16, 2020 at 3:32 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    All I'm saying is that the previous FJ cruiser could not compete with the Wrangler or the new Bronco any more than the current 4runner can, as far as off road chops. Toyota will have to do better if they want to have the top off roader. Right now, the Wrangler and soon the Bronco are in a class of their own.

Oldtoyotaguy and El General***** like this.
  12. Jul 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Yes

13. Jul 16, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    NightRunner

NightRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Agree. It would be cool if Toyota decided to go retro with a new FJ Cruiser, similar to what Ford did with the Bronco. Something much closer to the size and capability of the original FJ Land Cruiser. Now THAT would be able to compete with a Wrangler and new Bronco.

I mean, I don't think any Toyota/4Runner/FJ/Land Cruiser fan in the world would have ANY objection to an updated version of this...

FJ40.jpg

14. Jul 16, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    I love the 4Runner for the fact I can drive across the country in comfort without leaks and wind noise from all the removable things. However, if the new Bronco came with a naturally aspirated 5.0 I would have to seriously consider it. If only Ford would put real engines in all their vehicles and and stop building trucks out of soda cans.

15. Jul 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    Klinsman55

Klinsman55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17 36PSI. KDSS. Tokico suspension. MTM camera system
    Yes. I don’t think the 4Runner can (or should) compete with new Bronco or Wrangler. I’ve driven Jeep Wrangler several times before and hated the handling and noise and very uncomfortable. 4Runner feels much better for me yet Its still highly capable OffRoad when needed.

However if the new 4Runner can’t get half way descent improved mpg’s, better then a 5 speed transmission & a little better Power I might have to bite the bullet and get a Bronco (which I’m almost sure will drive almost as bad as a wrangler and have all the road and wind noise I dislike).

10+ years Toyota!!! Really?!?!?! Shame on you! o_O

16. Jul 16, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    Klinsman55

Klinsman55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
  17. Jul 16, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Toyota probably won't even try to compete with them. Corporate will most likely downsize anything off road in the coming years judging by the RAV 4 TRD.

El General***** and Thatbassguy like this.
  18. Jul 16, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I'll take that turbo 2.7 any day. My brother had an F150 with the 3.5 and there was way more than enough power.

I agree completely about the 4runner. It's capable enough for what I do, and still nice to drive all day.

El General***** likes this.
  19. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    MattO2786

MattO2786 New Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    Former 18 OR and 18 Limited Owner
    Capability is a little overrated since so few people use vehicles to their “full” capability, including Rubicons. T4R TRD with upgraded tires can handle just about anything you throw at it. The few things that it can’t handle only affect a small percentage of T4R and Wrangler owners. The people that are that serious at off-roading are going to mod the vehicles anyways. The only thing Toyota needs to do is maybe let people factory upgrade the wheels, like the Bronco is doing. I am all in favor of keeping the 4.0L 5 speed, because it has been proven to work. If they want to add an alternative engine/transmission, I would be in favor of that too.

Arky73 likes this.
  20. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    How many miles are people getting out that 3.5? One of my co workers had a explorer rental based on the 3.5. Brand new vehicle was rattling and would not stay running. Hertz had to bring a tow truck out. I know the Eco boost is supposed to be a better engine, but I'm superstitious lol. I know I'm in the old school minority, but a damn full size truck should have a V8 rumble. I wish any auto maker would put some serious R&D into a V8 that would get the EPA off our backs. But like everything else now days, perception is key, so they have most of the buying public convinced that EV is the green new deal. Just like sour mash fuel, I'm not convinced.

JBTRD likes this.
  21. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The turbos are nice for daily driving and towing something like a boat on the weekends. However, if you need heavy duty work done, the turbos and aluminum fail from my experience.

MI-FL off roader likes this.
  22. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The eco boost engines are not their best you can ask ford mechanics and their are all over youtube where they say they not get the eco boost due to reliability issues. And don't get me started on ev.

23. Jul 16, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    LA260

LA260 New Member

Member:
    5sp in the 4Runner has to go, and not only for having 5 gears. The programming is terrible and I'm still not sure what S is supposed to do. All it seems to do is holding on to gears for too long? No improvement in downshift speed or better responsiveness. 2001 CLK430 that I used to have had 5sp that was designed in the 90s and it was miles ahead of the 5sp in the 4runner. I'm sure Toyota can manage to put a 8sp with better programming that is as reliable as the ol 5.

El General***** likes this.
  24. Jul 16, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I like the 5 speed in both my 5th gen and 4th gen for the reliability aspect, But, it does need reprogrammed in the 5th. I think a reliable 6 speed would be good compared to an 8 spd, but opinions are like....well you know. What's good for me may not be for others. I use the sport mode all the time in both trucks, but you physically have to shift down or up depending on what the condition calls for. Try shifting into Sport and then downshifting, you'll have responsiveness, but then your mileage will suffer. Some folks would rather have a transmission that does that properly and I get that for sure. The CC in my 12' 5th gen is horrible because of the transmission programming I believe. So on the hwy for going up a grade, I just knock it over to sport and keep the programming out of it. Toyota missed the mark in the 5 speed when it comes to programming and I believe it's because of EPA mandates and mileage concerns. The damn thing is always stepping on its dick to save a penny in fuel. But, when you look at other auto makers transmission issues, I will deal with it's short comings. Comparing a Mercedes sedan to a Toyota SUV? Not sure that's fair, but yea the A750 is out dated, having been developed in the early 2000s. But, with all the complaints about the Taco's 6speed auto, I'm sure there will be hiccups with anything new for the 4Runner. My buddy had his Taco reprogrammed and is happier, but the dealers won't tell you they can do it. He just got to know the Service manager and the lead tech and they are fans of his truck because his mods are done right for a TRD Offroad. I wonder about trying to get a private convo with the service manager there and see what they can do for my 5th gen. But being Covid unemployed right now, it's just sitting gaining value. 127k miles on a 2012, the powertrain is just getting broken in.

25. Jul 16, 2020 at 12:42 PM
    MattO2786

MattO2786 New Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    Former 18 OR and 18 Limited Owner
    Be careful what you wish for.

Arky73, toy33 and 4runningMan like this.
  26. Jul 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I agree that the majority of drivers will never do anything beyond what the 4runner is capable of. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that a Wrangler has some advantages.

Aside from that, I'm definitely not a "hard-core" off-roader, but I did manage to wreck the stock skid plates on mine. So, that's a definite weakness.

They already did this with cylinder deactivation. I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard they tend to be problematic.

Aside from that, a turbo doesn't make a motor inherently unreliable. Just look a Cummins. I realize that's diesel VS gas, but I'm sure a turbo gas motor can be reliable as well.

S mode allows you to select the highest gear the transmission will go into. It's great for towing and running trails.

I do agree that the 5 speed is due for a replacement. I'm sure the 6th gen will have a 6 speed or more.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    nimby likes this.
  27. Jul 16, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    Agreed here, but what Im glad about this current 4runner and why I didnt wait for the next gen is I didnt want anything to do with my off road adventure rig having anything to do with a hybrid drive train. Even toyotas hybrids are only reliably working well for 7-8 years before computer, battery, or transmission issues. Combine that with being out in the back woods and having a thousand more computers and a completly second type of engine to have the chance of a mechanical break.

The next 4runner will be a hybrid but I predict this 5th Gen will be way more popular for the indefinite forseeable future in the resale market for guys wanting to build off road rigs.

28. Jul 16, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yea I think Cadillac had one that started out as limp mode for people to get to a safe place in the event of mechanical problems. I think they tried to adopt it for mileage and emissions and of course the computer systems to manage it are reliant on a multitude of sensors that can have issues with a variety of differing conditions. Weather changes and dirt, engine bay heat, the list would be endless. I just was talking about a V8 that can get us some decent mileage and emissions that would keep the EPA and EV proponents at bay.
    I think Turbos are great but you need a reliable power plant to put them on. I had an older explorer 4.0 for 2 months. Nice vehicle, comfortable, had power and the 4x4 worked good. But I noticed a quick rattle in the mornings and it would clear up. Got on the forums and started reading about the 4 timing chains and the cheap Teflon guides and tension tabs they put in it, and how they would break and get into the oil pick up or the chain would jump time and destroy your head. I dumped the explorer immediately, because when I started paying attention to the rattle it was very noticeable. My buddy had to replace 2 different heads on his because of this. Then I heard the Raptor was using the same base engine in a 3.5 configuration with the turbo. I have heard some people get 200k miles out them and others have problems, but I'm not experienced first hand so I can't speak to what the problems are. I just know that Ford had a beast of a V8 program back in the day and my buddy has a V10 in an F250 with 240k miles. It's a shame they gave the V8 up in the Raptor. I'm skeptical of the 3.5 as a base. I had a 351 in an F250 and that truck would climb a tree if it had claws and there are a crap load of those still running, as well as the 302. Technology is great, until it don't work and then it really sucks is what my issue is with trucks and innovation. There's a reason that the LS is a favorable swap for hot rods, off road trucks and the racing crowd. Reliable and budget achievable high output engines. I know they have the ability to build something like this to get mileage and power in a bullet proof platform. The EPA and bean counters don't want it. Instead of cutting corporate dead weight they always opt to cheap out on quality imho.

29. Jul 16, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    They switched to the 3.5 because they put the f150 on a diet with an all aluminum bed in the F150 and other goodies to lighten it up for performance and MPGs. This makes the 3.5 ecoboost raptor faster than the 6.0L v8 they did have in there. Personally I think the ecoboost motor is cool for the prospect of making the truck incredibly fast as you can boost them easier and also a closer to 50/50 weight distribution for jumping. Reliability i do not know about in terms of this motor.
    Raptor was my second choice besides a 4runner but income and longevity played a factor there.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  30. Jul 16, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

I think the problem is that bigger displacement motors generally consume more fuel. Smaller, more efficient motors lack power. Forced induction allows a small motor to make big motor power when needed, while being more fuel efficient otherwise.

I love the sound of a good V8, too! But, I think they're going to become less and less common as manufacturers get better with forced induction and hybrid setups. And, in a few decades, we'll all be driving electric cars anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top