1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner vs Rav4

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Clay, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 12:11 AM
    Clay

Clay [OP] 4 RUNNIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    The decision we have is - Buy a new Rav4 Hybrid with fantastic gas mileage - or buy a T4R with half the mileage. And - no - we don't need the off road capability as we have a 2016 Tacoma sport with off-road tires etc. The local dealer was blown away with our favoritism for the T4R. About $4000 more for the Runner (SR5)

Anyone else made this decision recently?

Thanks, Clay/K7CR

2. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:18 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    The 4Runner is more capable in terms of towing, hauling, and off road. The Rav4 will be better in terms of gas milage. Which are you more interested in?

3. Apr 20, 2017 at 5:01 AM
    Turk

Turk Arizona Exploring

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
    Had a Rav4 and traded it in on a 2016 4runner. Liked the Rav4. Love the 4runner. If I wasn't going offroad then its a no brainer... get the RAV4.

4. Apr 20, 2017 at 5:47 AM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Offroad
    We will actually be swapping our Rav4 SE tomorrow for our 4Runner, but I was able to get the Pro to go along with our Tundra.
    We camp often and have 2 kids + 2 dogs, 1 large and 1 medium, so for us we could always use to the space.

Really loved the Rav4, no glaring faults other than size. There isn't really a wrong choice here to be made as long as your chosen vehicle applies to your needs/wants.

Oh, the 4Runner will hold value better, at least here in Ontario that is the case. I assume the same to be true else where, but depending on how long you plan to own it vs that initial cost and fuel cost need to be thought of.

Let us know what you decide.
    Cheers!

5. Apr 20, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    markiemark671

markiemark671 New Member

Member:

Ive seen some made a leap from a 4R to a Rav 4 due to their current job status and driving.. They did not want to trade in their 4R but gas was best on the Rav 4 since they are being more practical.. It just boils down to what you are really planning.. But the Rav 4 is coming out with a Sports version if you want to wait for it.. I just saw it at Toyota's website a week ago.. GL

6. Apr 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt New Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    What about the highlander? My co-worker has 2 large huskies (no kids tho) and there's plenty of room. The highlander hybrid gets pretty bitchin' mileage (for an SUV), too. The RAV4 hybrid is even better, but of course smaller.

If you want anything to go off-road with, though, get the 4Runner.

7. Apr 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    Clay

Clay [OP] 4 RUNNIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Whereas this will be the wife's primary ride - I have discovered one of the prime reasons she wants to ditch our 2010 Camry (with 38,000 miles on it) ...Recently we were at a stop light ...Surrounded by SUV's, Trucks etc. All vehicles that made her feel fenced in. (a feeling she does not have in our 2016 Tacoma). This is a lot to do with 'elevation'. Compared to the T4R...In the Camry, you feel like your butt is 1/2 inch from the ground. One of the big discoveries in testing the Rav4 (Hybrid) compared to the T4R was interior noise. When driving down the freeway at 60 mph the noise level in the backseat of the Rav is such that you can't have a conversation with the people in the front. Not the case with the Runner - Very quiet. Clay

8. Apr 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    I'm 84 and old age has crept up on me, but we still have plans for lots of off-road miles on BC trails this summer. Still, I'll be looking at a Rav4 when we decide that off-roading is no longer a major factor. I see that Toyota is coming out with a new Rav4 model with higher clearance and some off road capability. That would certainly be our choice rather than a low slung pos that I need help to climb out of. - Ted

jester243 and TN_TRAIL like this.
  9. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    Dtopgun515

Dtopgun515 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium and 2013 TRD Sport Tacoma
    None...yet...
    Sounds like your two choices should be a highlander and a 4runner. The highlander will give you a better ride with more room than the Rav. The 4runner room will be comparable to the highlander but with a more truck like ride.

10. Apr 24, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    Clay

Clay [OP] 4 RUNNIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    We've looked at and driven the Highlander (including the base model with the 4cyl). Wife was not impressed. This is (perhaps) an alternative to the mini-van designed for large families (ours are grown and gone). Has a huge back seat...Nice for huge people or kids. One should no try and compare the driving position between the two vehicles - They are radically different. The 4R gives you the feeling you are in something substantial...The Highlander gives you the feeling you are in something large.

11. Apr 27, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    I'm sure you'll find a 4R is the best choice between the two. It really is a great rig on the twisty highways in our BC mountains, as well as the many off-road trails. - Ted

12. Apr 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    Clay

Clay [OP] 4 RUNNIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Hi Ted...or should I say - Hi Neighbor? Seems to me we share a mountain range. I do a lot of work on West Tiger Mountain just east of Seattle as well as access other mountain top transmitter sites all over Washington. Am on my 5th Tacoma. My wife remarked the other day that with a 4R she could come up for lunch (something you'd never want her to do in a Rav) Think her mind is made up - She wants a Barcalona Red one (to match the Tacoma). I'm now awaiting news on the 2018's before I pull the trigger. Looks like there is room for the two of us to sleep in the back - Even more reason for the 4R !

Products Discussed in

To Top