1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner Show Ponies Vs. Off-road Plow Horses

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Redned, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Nov 11, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    Redned

Redned [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Off Road Premium w/ KDSS
    Bilstein 6112/ 5112 suspension. RCI sliders, ARB skid plates, Icon UCA’s, Icon 2” rear coils, TRD LED fog lights, 30” LED light bar. TSO Grille. 285/70/17 BFG KO2’s, Icon Vector 6 wheels. Weathertech floor mats. 2.5”/ 2” lift. K&N CAI.
    I started out thinking I could keep my 4Runner looking pristine, while taking it out on some serious trails. Now I see that I can take it trails rated as easy and avoid damage, but if if I take it on moderate trails, I am going to beat up my wheels, sliders, skid plates and incur plenty of pin-striping. I try to stay off difficult trails to avoid body damage. I want to keep it looking good, but the trails are too much fun. Interested to hear how others look at it.

CaliRunner and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Nov 11, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    06_dark_knight

06_dark_knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 in black
    Lights all around. IVD front standard travel
    I think a good majority of people want to start out with a nice sema style show car with the fancy bumpers and nice shine. Then they get their first desert pinstripes and realize that all that shiny stuff was meant to get used. Then it becomes more fun to see how far we can push our 4runners than to see them be shiny and not used and abused a little. But that’s just my thoughts on the matter :cheers:

3. Nov 12, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    I bought my 12' with cosmetic damage already incurred by the horrible driving of the 1st owner (looks like a hit to a gas station post on pass door) and maybe some bad luck for them in a front and rear fender bender, so I didn't have such an OCD commitment to the paint starting out. Once I put the front winch bumper on, I did try to keep it somewhat nice for about 6 months, but realized it was pointless because I'm a kook when it comes to pushing my truck. Pinstripes are common on the tight trails here in Florida, and I've got a few AZ desert stripes too.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Buy a good dual action orbital polisher, some cutting and polishing pads and a good medium cut polishing compound (not cutting compound) and you can have both the show pony and plow horse after some practice.

Unless through the clearcoat, most trail pinstripes will polish out. Superficial damage to wheels/sliders can be touched up to be passable at a few feet. Cleaning the undercarriage/fender wells/tires is the difficult/time consuming stuff. Comes down to how bad you want Besse to look like Secretariat.

5. Nov 12, 2020 at 6:14 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    It’s your truck. You do you. but if you spent the money on sliders and skids, did you buy them just for show?

6. Nov 12, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    I bought mine with the intention of using it for its intended purpose. That being said, I do try to be careful off road, as to not really scratch it too bad. On my last outing, I got a nice kiss from a rock on my TRD skid plate, and I have to admit, I loved it! Perhaps that means I am moving toward the pin stripe side of the question, but only time will tell. :dancingbroccoli:

Thatbassguy and Redned[OP] like this.
  7. Nov 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 rebmem wen

Member:
    I try my best to avoid damage and pinstripes... but not upset when they happen. We just call them "trail tattoos".

First scratch is the hardest, after that, subsequent small dents and scratches don't bother you as much. Just make sure to touch up anything ASAP that might have gotten down to primer or metal.

8. Nov 12, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Bought it to use it, and don't care. I obviously don't want to dent it or break stuff (though I have, and will) but scratches I give not a shit about.

Never buy a used car from me.

Han4Run, DRobs, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  9. Nov 12, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Related, when buying this 4R, which was a previous rental, I was super concerned about its rental status and how renters may have abused it, and debated buying it for a month (which is a crazy long time for me).

My wife ultimately convinced me to buy it by asking me "what could someone else possibly have done to it that YOU aren't going to do immediately to it????".

10. Nov 12, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I think a 4runner with trail scars looks better than a built rig that’s never seen dirt.

TriaxT4R and Redned[OP] like this.
  11. Nov 12, 2020 at 4:06 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I think the best bet is to keep the 4Runner for the mild stuff and as a nice daily driver, and just spend a few k on an XJ for a beater rig. You won't care if you beat up the XJ, and realistically it's way cheaper and easier to make it more capable than the 4Runner.

12. Nov 12, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    Mine mostly stays on pavement except for trips to the gun range which is in the middle of a swamp, but I don't have it decked out with sliders etc to make it look like I'm an off-roader either. I say do what ya want....I've been muddin' a few times and it's fun as hell, just not what I do regularly. We have 5 guys at work who all bought Jeep Wranglers in different colors with all the bars and racks and lights you can imagine but they're always spotlessly clean (one wanker even dusts his off on his lunch break). Your money, your ride but that's a little silly for me.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Nov 13, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Buy it,use it,enjoy it:D

Thatbassguy likes this.
  14. Nov 13, 2020 at 5:44 PM
    Redned

Redned [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112/ 5112 suspension. RCI sliders, ARB skid plates, Icon UCA’s, Icon 2” rear coils, TRD LED fog lights, 30” LED light bar. TSO Grille. 285/70/17 BFG KO2’s, Icon Vector 6 wheels. Weathertech floor mats. 2.5”/ 2” lift. K&N CAI.
    I’m learning to appreciate rattle can spray paint and judging the finish from 10’ away. Now I can enjoy it!

Ironguy and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Nov 14, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    My Tacoma got me interested in off-roading, but I missed my '03 4runner after a few months. I bought the new 4runner for trails, camping, fishing, and a comfortable ride home. And, because my previous two 4runners were so reliable.

I knew there would be trail rash. But, the first instance was so bad it made me feel sick. It went from 1 small scratch (2nd and LAST dealership maintenance) to having so many scratches I didn't even try to count them. After realizing that the vast majority would buff out, I got over it. What's funny is that I never did buff them out.

I still cringe a little when I hear a branch scrape across the paint. But, it's part of the hobby. In Wisconsin, the best trails have spots where you can't avoid it. You can either live with it, or find another way to spend your time.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep the paint nice, though. I take better care of this 4runner than any vehicle I've owned. I hope to be hitting trails and mall crawler shows with it in 20-30 years still.

DRobs likes this.
  16. Nov 14, 2020 at 5:30 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    That is hilarious!

Ha! I tell people that the 4runner still looks great from 20'. It's like a Monet.

17. Nov 14, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Looks great from the back of a fast horse!

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Nov 14, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    This oughta make you wimps feel better about your minor imperfections lol. This guy knows what T4R stands forT4R Rash.jpg T4R II.jpg .

19. Nov 14, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    CaliRunner

CaliRunner New Member

Member:
    Bought a 2020 ORP, black, on a Saturday this past September. On Sunday took it out to some trail in Anza Borrego, was expecting some loose gravel, not much. It was pretty sandy, loose dirt and lots of gnarly bushes along the sides of the narrow trail. Got plenty of pinstripes, boy the sound of those dried branches against the body was heart wrenching. Did I mention this was the second day of owning this beauty... Anyway, I get back, its all dusty, wash the truck a few days later and see some scratches on driver's side and lots on the passenger side, from the front fender all the way to the back. Looking at that was sad. I was wiling to drop 2K to get it looking new again. Considered opti-coat also. Few weeks pass by, long story short, I came to realize that if I worry about the paint and get opti-coat or something, then I'll always be worrying about the paint, while washing etc. and wouldn't enjoy the trails as much or may be even avoid some overgrown ones and miss out. And if I don't worry about that, to hell with the paint, if something happens, I'll get a cheap fix, maybe. In a few years the paint will look ugly, having made some beautiful memories, I'll get it repainted, again preferably on the cheap, some non-glossy finish. or rhino-line it or something. That realization was so relieving. Only worry about stuff under the hood and under the chassis that'll take me places and get me back, too.

And then, browsing on these forums, I learnt about GOAT. https://goat-truckarmor.com/collections/toyota-4runner-gen5

OP, get one of these and enjoy the trails.

FJ_4runner, SlvrSlug and Redned[OP] like this.
  20. Nov 14, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    Redned

Redned [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I like the goat armor- but it is too nice- I wouldn’t want to scratch it!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  21. Nov 14, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

22. Nov 14, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Why in the world did he spend the money on rock sliders??? Looks like he never missed an opportunity to take one at/above the beltline

I get there's a part of the community that likes to wear their disregard as a badge of honor. Never understood it, where's the skill in that?

gunsnob, Thatbassguy and CaliRunner like this.
  23. Nov 14, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:

If you have to ask where's the skill? You have no idea and never will. This guy wheels in some of the roughest terrain and hangs with some of the most radically built crawlers in the northeast. He's been having a blast for 6-7 years now and I doubt he loses any sleep over those dents, and he regularly proves how tough these trucks really are. And if he breaks it, he rolls it in the garage and fixes it himself, not worrying if the tech changing his oil actually changed the filter.
    This was 5 years ago pre Long Travel, 40s, and Dents.
    IMG_7375.jpg IMG_7384.jpg

SlvrSlug and Mtbpsych like this.
  24. Nov 14, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    No doubt you're right.

I'm just outside Phoenix while typing this. Drove a couple trails to upper/lower Terminator just Northwest of town to watch the hugely modified Jeeps/rock crawlers on nearly impassable terrain. And a guy tear his not-well-built-enough Raptor up way past trail rash.

You understand. I don't.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  25. Nov 15, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    I figure, I'll get it wrapped in the unlikely event, that I decide to sell it.
    That should hide the pinstripes.

26. Nov 16, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    As long as I’m the one making the pin striping and dents that’s ok. I rage when others make the for me. I already have some pinstripe down the side and it will probably polish out but I bought the damn thing for adventures and that’s what’s gonna happen.

27. Nov 17, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Totaled 4 Real?

I'm in the same boat. I'm ok with the pinstripes, etc, but I'm not TRYING to trash it.

Guys who go out and dent the piss out of their rigs are on another level. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it. It's just not part of my plan. I still daily drive mine, and enjoy having a nice vehicle to drive home from the trails.

28. Nov 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    Redned

Redned [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I don’t know who goes out looking to trash their rigs, but if you want to do serious trails like Rubicon in a 4Runner it wouldn’t take long to do that kind of body damage.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  29. Nov 17, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That's what I've heard. I'll with awhile before hitting anything that hardcore. I'm having a blast running trails that don't cause body damage. Of course, there's always risk. But, I know guys who have wheeled all over the country without doing that kind of damage.

Redned[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  30. Nov 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    bear1998

bear1998 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Shoreline Blue Pearl Limited, ...2004 Dark Blue Sport 4.7l .
    Why not buy a beater for serious off roading...i cant afford to beat the the hell out of new or newer vehicle n if i could i still wouldnt.
    I know to each there own...just dont understand it. I see so many people buy things new n treat them like dirt....guess im wierd..lol

Products Discussed in

To Top