1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner or Cherokee Trailhawk

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Bill91Lx, Apr 30, 2022.

1. May 1, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    "All Business". Reminds me of my 2010 FJ Cruiser. And it had a DVD Player. LOL Really liked that FJ. But the 5th Gen. 4Runner is a good replacement.

BearBio likes this.
  2. May 1, 2022 at 5:51 PM
    Deadmeat99

Deadmeat99 New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    It's almost like people who think 4Runners are good and bought one after comparing vehicles and settling on a 4Runner would gravitate to a 4Runner forum and then talk highly about them in comparison to brands they considered inferior when making their purchasing choice.

Spydr5, xyzzy and BearBio like this.
  3. May 1, 2022 at 7:33 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Before I bought my 4Runner, I was dead set on a Wrangler, which would have been a JKU at the time. On Wrangler Forum I posted what my needs were, and asked if anybody had owned both vehicles, or had an experience with a 4Runner. Got a lot of really constructive, friendly replies, and most people told me that for my use case the 4Runner would be the better choice.

Bill91Lx[OP] likes this.
  4. May 1, 2022 at 7:43 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock

Missed this post about this being for a college student. Don't even consider the 4Runner, why on earth would you want to saddle a college student with a vehicle that gets 17 MPG in these days of $4 plus a gallon gas? Lol.

I would look at a crossover such as any number of Subarus, the RAV4, Highlander or Honda Passport. (Check out JonDZ Adventuring on Youtube, he does some pretty impressive stuff with a Passport off-road). All these vehicles should be capable for mild off-roading in sand, and will get better MPG with better highway manners than the 4R.

As far as the two vehicles that you mentioned, I really couldn't see recommending a Cherokee to anybody. I do like Jeeps, but I limit that basically to the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler. I also think actually the Renegade may be a decent choice for your use case.

I've had my 2013 4Runner for 3 years now, I bought it used with just under 80k miles. The thing I like best about it, is that 3 years and 56K miles later, the only money I've had to spend on it for repairs has been $189 at the dealer to have the AC topped off. That's the only repair. Any other money I spent on it has just been regular maintenance. The 4Runner doesn't excel at any one thing, however it is pretty damn reliable. However, you pay for that, with the relatively high buy-in price, and the large fuel bill you're going to have. Resale is stellar though, my 2013 is worth almost what I paid for it 3 years ago. So with the great resale, if you buy one for your college student and they decide they hate it, you can almost get all your money back on it.

Bill91Lx[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. May 1, 2022 at 8:52 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    +1,

Those of us on this forum who are old enough to have driven 60’s, 70’s and 80’s vehicles know that we have it pretty good with the 4Runner as far as handling and ride.

Watch an old TV show from the 70’s that involves big cars on the street. Like Cannon. You’ll be amazed how much those old boats floated around the streets.

rickystl, Singleminded, afret and 2 others like this.
  6. May 1, 2022 at 8:55 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Why do you say that? Is there reason to believe it will be less capable off-road?

I'm pretty sure Toyota will work out the bugs and make the 6th gen a reliable vehicle.

I have to disagree with your last statement, as well. I bought the 4Runner as a compromise of off-road capability and on-road comfort. There's no reason to expect the 6th gen to be any worse at either.

As long as Toyota doesn't go further away from off-road capability, it should be exactly the kind of vehicle I wanted my 4Runner to be.

It's confusing to me, as well. I like Jeeps. I'd love to have a Wrangler as a trail toy eventually.

You're obviously not familiar with the older Landcruisers. ;)

16149638472ae44213df688681970ToyotaFJ1.jpg

Yoytota, BearBio and Trail Runnah like this.
  7. May 1, 2022 at 11:03 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Fingers crossed you’re right. I don’t expect they’ll destroy it. Just like they didn’t destroy the Tundra or Sequoia. On paper of course the new 4R will be better, just like the new Tundra and Sequoia — more power, better MPG, more features.

But how many of them are going to make 250,000 — 300,000 miles? How many will do so with relatively minimal repairs?

That’s what I was getting at. Today’s drivetrain tech is mostly about getting more performance and efficiency out of smaller and more complex components. Toyota is likely to do that well, with quality engineering and manufacturing. But it seems to me that these contemporary efficiency goals are at odds with durability. Where’s the new tech that makes engines last longer? I don’t think there is any. That tech is already in the 5th Gen. The new tech is all about getting more power and mpg out of smaller and lighter components.

For the average buyer who doesn’t plan to keep their vehicle for more than 100k miles or so, it may be fine. Espec once they get the new-product bugs out. But color me skeptical about their ability to do what older 4Runners have done in terms of reliability and durability.

It is certainly the case that sometimes the car makers launch a new generation that is unequivocally better than it’s predecessor. The second gen 86/BRZ looks to be an example of that. BMW did so with multiple iterations of its 3 Series — but then they started going backwards, producing new versions less desirable than the older ones.

Look at the new gen Cayman / Boxter. Do you want that new turbo 4 cylinder? As an enthusiast, wouldn’t you prefer the classic, sweet singing Porsche NA flat six?

The 6th Gen 4Runner may well be the best vehicle of its kind for sale in the US. But that’ll be because it will be just about the only vehicle of its kind, given it’s likely combo of off-road ability and on-road SUV comfort at roughly average prices. But will it be as loved 20 years and 250k miles from now? Only time will tell, but to me the signs point to the 5th gen being the apogee for the model. Just like the E46 and E90 were for BMW’s 3 Series.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  8. May 2, 2022 at 4:53 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    In my case, it was driving experience and the hit to my pocketbook for repairs! See my post on my experience with different 4WDs. Toyota has realized for years that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Take a look at the video series "Expedition Overland" Season 2 says about Toyotas and Baja, especially what Ivan "Ironman" Stewart says and drives!

9. May 2, 2022 at 5:10 AM
    K-Paul

K-Paul Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    Im not allowed to correct spelling mistakes?

Go fist yourself.

7385 likes this.
  10. May 2, 2022 at 5:14 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Oh, I get what you're saying. And, I agree. I hope Toyota can figure out how to make a modern drivetrain reliable. I have some faith, based on how well they've done with the Prius. Time will tell!

Jackstraw likes this.
  11. May 2, 2022 at 7:49 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Jackstraw and GrantA like this.
  12. May 2, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    So I was looking at a Jeep Wrangler before the 4Runner because I wanted to run 40’s and loved the look of the Wrangler when it was modified (don’t care for the stock look). I love the capabilities. However there was 1 problem. I have 4 young kids and the Wrangler sits a maximum of 5 (legally). So this brought me down the path of researching more on other options. I drive the Volvo XC90 and it was nice and had Heads up display, better gas mileage, awesome safety reviews, etc. it was also a dream to drive and held all my kids. But there were cons… no tow package (on the one I was looking at), the voice system sucked, the resale value was HORRIBLE, the cost was up there. So back to doing research and I came across the 4Runner which I was thinking about before but I wanted the pro but they didn’t have the 3rd row for my kids. So I began researching the key differences between the TRD and the SR5 premium. Found out that I didn’t want to spend the extra money for things I planned on doing anyway. So I completely overhauled my SR5 to being more suitable for what I did (you can see what I did with the link in my profile).

I like the aftermarket options available on the 4Runner. While probably not as crazy as the Wrangler there is a ton of options.

Reason for not jumping on the 6th gen for a while. Some if not most of the 5th gen aftermarket support don’t fully support the 5th gen 2020+ when it comes to Toyotas new tech (TSS). While I didn’t struggle to find one that do support it. Point being that aftermarket support for the 6th gen might take a while if you plan on modifying.

My dad has a Grand Cherokee (with Hemi) and had an older Tacoma. He had experienced a few issues (technology related) with the Cherokee. His Tacoma was old school (manual doors, manual locks, etc.) he sold that thing for a good amount of money. That thing just kept going. If I had the money at the time I would have bought it.

My wife has a 2020 Sienna and I have a 2020 4Runner. Her car is more fun to drive. Lower center of gravity, better highway driving, better gas mileage, AWD version as well, 2 sunroofs, the van is incredible. I drove over 2000 miles in less than 2 days. While I was exhausted it would have taken longer in the 4Runner for sure, it is a lot more crammed with 4 kids, etc.

So what would I choose out of the two? The 4Runner obviously. However, if this is for your kid then you are one gracious parent. I had to buy my own first car, my own gas, but the parents covered my insurance. Maybe you are financially blessed but if I could be of any encouragement, don’t let your kids think things in life will be handed to them. However, since you didn’t ask for parenting advice I would say maybe look for a well taken care of 4runner. As stated these machines can easily hit 200-300k miles with little to no problems. Also to note that the waiting period for 4Runners is kinda insane (unless you don’t mind spending $10k above MSRP) so get your name on a few different waiting lists if you choose 4Runner.

I wouldn’t touch the trail hawk due to the lower resale value, lower reliability. But I do like that it has way better gas mileage.

As far as safety is concerned I don’t know but I would want my kids in a super safe vehicle so I would look into that as well.

Anyways I am sure whatever you decide will be best for you and your kiddo.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  13. May 2, 2022 at 8:17 AM
    jasonmcelroy

jasonmcelroy Recovering perfectionist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Grey Trail
    Bilsteins, KO2, sound system, RedArc towing
    I take my family camping to places where a vehicle failure could be catastrophic (or a serious pain in the ass at best).

Toyota all day.

Sussing out an electrical or computer issue in the desert with my wife, kids, dog when it's 106F outside isn't my idea of a good time.

Jason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Ricphoto, Deadmeat99, ESCT4R and 6 others like this.
  14. May 2, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    Jackstraw

Jackstraw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro Trickie Woo
    ESCT4R likes this.
  15. May 2, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Unfortunately asking a question like this on any forum always brings out the fanboys. Personally I think the new GC looks good. I'd give it a shot with the reliability issue in mind. It would make a better on road vehicle than the Runner.

As far as being outdated, I don't want a bunch of extra crap and most people don't use it anyway. They just want to say their car has something. Auto headlights would have been nice since my 2006 GTO has them but not my purchased new 2019 Runner TRDP. Radar cruise would have also been nice but it isn't required.

16. May 2, 2022 at 9:32 AM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps

Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. May 2, 2022 at 9:34 AM
    ESCT4R

ESCT4R New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    :popcorn: this thread is great! lol

18. May 2, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    What an awesome looking spot! Great pictures!

2Toys and Bill91Lx[OP] like this.
  19. May 2, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    Bill91Lx

Bill91Lx [OP] New Member

Member:

Thanks Grant. Really great perspective. Appreciate the reply and advice.

GrantA[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  20. May 2, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    Bill91Lx

Bill91Lx [OP] New Member

Member:
    You can, but you didn't. Lol

21. May 2, 2022 at 10:01 AM
    Bill91Lx

Bill91Lx [OP] New Member

Member:
    It's not really FOR a college student, but one of the vehicles he will have some access to, so it needs to be safe and reliable, but also would like some tech and good highway manners. Seems like 4R has all of that but is older on the tech, which is the least important aspect to me. While I don't plan to keep it for 300k miles, I do like the resale value aspect of the 4R, so that's a great point.

I'd also seriously consider a Rav 4 Prime, but just can't find any here for months and wants something in next few weeks. Thanks for feedback.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. May 2, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    But that’s exactly the point. It’s been my observation that as time marches on, every manufacturer’s off road offerings have become less robust. Less capable. I think Singleminded is, sadly, correct.
    Yes, sir, I am. And the FJ40 is a mighty vehicle, no doubt. But in the contest for the all time greatest off road vehicle it comes in at number 3 behind the G-Wagen and the Defender for one reason: it’s got leaf springs instead of coils. All of this is offered with humor and respect.

A wise man once observed, “Complexity is the enemy of reliability,”

2Toys, Thatbassguy[QUOTED] and 7385 like this.
  23. May 2, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    we love our Rav4 Prime. In fact our 18 year old son was trying to encourage us to sell it this weekend, he seems to think we could get 100k, but if I could get 100k, not sure I would.

24. May 2, 2022 at 10:27 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I've observed the same thing. I understand the trends of most manufacturers. I just don't see any reason for Toyota to go that route in this case.

I would say the 5th gen was a step in the opposite direction from the 4th gen. And, the Highlander fills the spot in the market for a family hauler.

If anything, it makes more sense for the next generation to lean further into the off-road market to compete with the Bronco.

I know the drivetrain will be more complicated. But, that doesn't mean it has to be unreliable. I think they're dragging ass on the 6th gen because they know what is at stake. I won't say I'll be shocked if they wimp out. But, I won't be surprised if it's awesome, either.

And, as far as their generally conservative ways; the release of the GR Corolla proves that they might still have some balls after all. But, it's always the bean counters who have their say at the end of the day, so who knows.

25. May 2, 2022 at 10:40 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Yes, would make sense for them to make the 6th gen a bit smaller, with better angles and perhaps even more ground clearance. I find the 5th gen size about perfect, but then I’d never be in the market for something with Bronco or Wrangler levels of off roading capabilities.

But if it’s smaller, don’t be surprised if the main motor is a turbo 4. If we instead got the V6 from the Highlander I’d be pretty happy about the direction of the model. A better BOF, a standard engine and trans with more gears but not too many — that would be pretty ok.

26. May 2, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    dxhum

dxhum New Member

Member:
    "Jeep Recovery Team"

That is so off the mark. I've owned a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and traded it in for my 2020 4Runner. I did this because the Rubi was ALWAYS in the dealership. And while the Rubi never left me stuck anywhere, the list of things that went wrong with the Rubi was extensive, and they were not small things by any stretch of the imagination (think complete engine rebuild at 14k!).

In the end, off the assembly line, the Rubicon is far more capable than the 4Runner.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  27. May 2, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Coil-over-live- axle front and rear, and diff locks front and rear. Can be had with 35” tires from the factory. You are right. If reliability is not a factor the Rubicon is more capable.

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  28. May 2, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    afret

afret 2022 ORP, KDSS, Toyo AT3

Member:
    North Idaho
    Hey, that was one of my favorite shows along with the "Rockford Files". LOL

29. May 2, 2022 at 11:34 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Lol totally. Gotta move the steering wheel back and forth like ten degrees in each direction — and rapidly — to keep the vehicle heading in a more or less straight line. Think that was typical with recirculating ball steering, before rack and pinion. The 4Runner is def not that bad!

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  30. May 2, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    This is exactly what I hope! The pressure from jeep and ford hopefully will result in Toyota focusing, not diluting, the 4runners purpose.

Hopefully it will be a GT equivalent of an off road vehicle. The mission should be great day-to-day usability and drive-ability, while retaining it’s utility and full off-road credentials.

I’d say toyota could even pull this mission off with solid front axles. But I’m not sure that’s even desirable. It’s nice to know the front end can go over mud instead of a front axle digging into it.

Products Discussed in

To Top