1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner LED Lighting! - 20% Off Store-Wide!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Headlight Revolution, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Mar 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    Headlight Revolution

Headlight Revolution [OP] Vendor

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Crew! :hattip:

4Runner XBs.jpg

Figured I should shed some light on the most recent sale that we are offering up! Since everyone's all couped up at home, how about a Project for the Garage? Here at Headlight Revolution, we've done the Homework and the Hands-on testing so that you know what's worth your money and what isn't! :)

This sale is for 20% off your Full Order!

Please use the Code: GARAGETIME

Enjoy some Youtube Videos? Here are some Links to videos where we both Install LED/HID products and then Measure/Compare them to OEM and to Competitors!

Simple LED Bulb Swap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8rjYejyyg&t=283s

XB LED Headlight Assembly Install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_PKcx6c5Eo&t=2s

XB LED Review Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWN3dkBPQ4

Turn Signal Install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jofAQo6dAk&t=182s

We have a TON of awesome kits for these SUVs, there is something for everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe and taking care of yourself! :)

masamitsu and gunsnob like this.
  2. Mar 25, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    I wasn't in the market... but... dang... I like Morimoto's!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. Mar 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    I wouldn’t get those If I were you. Despite being $1000+, the light output is confirmed to be terrible by several reviewers who are active in this forum. Also there are many anecdotes about failed units whose warranties are not being honored by the manufacturer.

TRDPro916, gunsnob[QUOTED] and 7385 like this.
  4. Mar 25, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    I didn't look at the website until finished the video...

Yeah, nah... $1,150.00 is $1150.00 more than I would spend for headlights...

5. Mar 30, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    SLoTH_XVX

SLoTH_XVX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5 Premium White
    6" Fabtec Suspension Lift 35x12.5 Fuel Gripper M/T Tires 18" Fuel - Vapor Wheels

Did you apply the above mentioned coupon? List price is 1350...discounted price is 1150...adding the discount code drops em down to 920....that looks WAY better than the $1,350 list price.
    Just sayin ;)

6. May 22, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    Barcelona Trail

Barcelona Trail New Member

Member:
    Colorado in Winter - SoCal in Summer
    Vehicle:
    '16 TEP w/ KDSS
    Bilstein 6112 & 5100 - Built Right UCAs - AFE Intake, TBS, & Exhaust - Pedal Cmndr - Icon Rebound - 285 BFG KO2

Would you all be willing to offer this 20% off this weekend?

7. Jun 5, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    TheRunner2020

TheRunner2020 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited NightShade
    What do you got for 2020 models?

8. Jun 6, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    Barcelona Trail

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 TEP w/ KDSS
    Bilstein 6112 & 5100 - Built Right UCAs - AFE Intake, TBS, & Exhaust - Pedal Cmndr - Icon Rebound - 285 BFG KO2
    Want to make this offer again? I've got a few hundred bucks I'd be willing to spend if you do...

9. Jun 6, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    Save your money. There are far better options with better performance and way cheaper at the same time.

10. Jun 6, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    Barcelona Trail

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 TEP w/ KDSS
    If you're talking specifically about the Morimoto line, sure there may be better options, though that is of course an opinion. That said, I'm shopping for Extreme LED Pros in 9005 & H11. These are available at HR

11. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    Ah ok. Those are among the few that actually fit into the dumb sideways headlight housings.

I had the extreme led pro h11. I even wrote a review of them in this forum in January. THEY SUCK (on the 4Runner). They suck as much as stock, if not more so. The only difference is the color which is a very nice slightly yellowish soft white.

I then got the Morimoto led H11 plug and play bulbs. THEY ALSO SUCK (on the 4Runner). About the same as the xtreme led, but a bit wider light with a weaker center hot spot, and very loud fans.

If you use the above led bulbs, you must buy a second pair to use as fogs in order to merely get to the same light output as a on any other Car that has properly designed front facing bulb housings, unlike the 4Runner.

In other words, you need to spend double for headlight and dogs for the 4Runner just to equal the same light output of headlights on any other car like my Honda.

Also be aware that the stock fog lights run at a lower wattage than the LEDs above. Long term you may run into heat/melting issues if you live in a warm climate.

12. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Barcelona Trail likes this.
  13. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM
    Barcelona Trail

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 TEP w/ KDSS
    I appreciate the info/experience. The last thing I want to do is go backwards after spending $120 or have to spend even more money just to get back to even... Regarding the fogs, I went with the BD Squadron Sport WC in Amber so I'm squared away there. Hopefully they don't upset oncoming drivers... I currently run an H11 halogen Sylvania Silver Star Ultra - which I don't actually hate (for Halogen they're serviceable, good even). I've had the BD fogs for a week but it's clear that I'm going to fall in love w them. I'm in CO in the winter so I'm thinking they'll serve me well. I suppose I want the brightest of bright white low beams more than I need them... nevertheless I do want them. Maybe I ought to be considering HID H11s to pair w the new fogs and leave the high beams alone (for now). Perhaps a light bar vs spending $180 on yellow 9005 Extreme LEDs. For now,, Im thinking the BD fogs will serve me better and more often than high beams since only 1 is on at any given time

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  14. Jun 6, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    Barcelona Trail

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 TEP w/ KDSS
    I appreciate the link. Good read. Thank you. If I read it correctly, people are electing to modify H9s and run those w better output than H11 with he cap on the bulb? Is that correct? I ask because I sometimes get flashed while only running those halogen H11s I mentioned - perhaps because of the lift on the truck and I didn't angle the housing down ??

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  15. Jun 8, 2020 at 7:42 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    I’ve read form someone here on this forum that the DDM Sabre pro LEDs are very good. They are available in 3000k yellow for high beams and 6000k white. And since they are 55w, the 9005 don’t require the additional expensive led dimmer ballast when used in the high beam. And they are only $94 and also available on Amazon.

The reviews here are quite good. https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/reviews/ddm-tuning-saber-led-50w-pro-series-led-kit-review.html

I can’t attest to them personally, since I’m now totally over spending any more money, but since it’s amazon, you can return them if they suck.

16. Jun 8, 2020 at 9:05 PM
    Barcelona Trail

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 TEP w/ KDSS
    I appreciate the info! I'll check out the link. As I mentioned the BD amber fogs light everything, and I mean everything, left and right, above me on signs and overpasses and downfield. I had been worried about the effects on other drivers but I haven't experienced a single flash from others... If my good fortune continues I likely won't do anything w the high beams. We'll see

El General***** likes this.
  17. Jun 9, 2020 at 3:25 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    All drop-in LED bulbs are junk. Even the "best" rarely project as far as stock H11 halogen bulbs. They're brighter, to be sure- but their lack of focus and throw mean that only the first twenty feet in front of your truck get brighter, then taper off dangerously after that. It has little to do with whether the projector housings are side or rear inserting. It has everything to do with the fact that LED emitters (with two sets of chips, power circuitry, and heatsinking) cannot shrink down enough to exist in a small enough space to emulate a halogen filament. Your headlight housings require this tiny focal point in order to project light. When you move the light source out of focus, your projection suffers. Read about it here:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3rd-gen-hid-vs-led-vs-halogen-h11-projector-headlights.589465/

Also, I highly encourage you NOT to use those Baja Designs squadrons on the road (they are great for offroad only). They have no glare control or cutoff, meaning that yes, you are bothering other drivers. They'll also be useless in actual fog- turning them on will transform fog into a wall of light reflecting back into your eyes, much like your high beams.

If you're interested in an actual performance fog light (street legal and useful in fog), consider the SS3 by Diode Dynamics. It's brighter than any fog on the market, while still having a proper fog pattern with a cutoff. Check out links at the top of the first post here for fog pod comparisons:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

EvilBeagle and Barcelona Trail like this.
  18. Jun 14, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    Yes, the main factor is the filament-like difference in the space between LED chips. However, the side entry is most definitely a big factor.

For instance in that link you sent, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3rd-gen-hid-vs-led-vs-halogen-h11-projector-headlights.589465/, he tests the $89 hikari ultra from Amazon, which is tested to be among the best LEDs in his test group and far superior to the most expensive $200+ GTR ultra 2.

I have these hikari ultras in my 2019 Honda, which has with standard forward-entry projectors, and they are spectacular! I tried these same hikari ultras in my 2019 4Runner, and they are completely unusable.

mynameistory likes this.
  19. Jun 14, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Even though it may be among the best LED bulbs tested, the Hikari still has difficulty in projecting light as far as a performance H11 or H9 halogen bulb. I also can't speak to its longevity or return policy.

Remember how cheap H9 bulbs are compared to any other LED bulb too.

ForRun likes this.
  20. Jun 17, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    AZ4Rnr

AZ4Rnr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    ICON 2.5 extended travel coilovers with reservoirs, Camburg tubular UCA, ICON 2.0 rear reservoir shocks, ICON 2" rear coil springs, CaliRaised low profile hood mounts and ditch lights, 10" & 30" Rigid LED grill mounted light bars, Front Runner 3/4 rack, HID low beam conversion, LED fog and DRL/high beam, LED interior lights, 17x8.5 Motegi MR150 Trailite wheels with 285/70r17 Duratrac, TRD skid, RCI transmission skid, Resz Fabrication rear links and track bar, TRD Pro clone blackout kit, Avid Off Road custom sliders with kick out, Rav4 mirrors, SDHQ ABS sensor armor, rear lower link armor, ICON rear shock guards, adjustable rear sway bar links.
    Very happy with my HID kit from XenonDepot.com
    20200615_201244.jpg

21. Jun 17, 2020 at 6:35 AM
    AZ4Rnr

AZ4Rnr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    ICON 2.5 extended travel coilovers with reservoirs, Camburg tubular UCA, ICON 2.0 rear reservoir shocks, ICON 2" rear coil springs, CaliRaised low profile hood mounts and ditch lights, 10" & 30" Rigid LED grill mounted light bars, Front Runner 3/4 rack, HID low beam conversion, LED fog and DRL/high beam, LED interior lights, 17x8.5 Motegi MR150 Trailite wheels with 285/70r17 Duratrac, TRD skid, RCI transmission skid, Resz Fabrication rear links and track bar, TRD Pro clone blackout kit, Avid Off Road custom sliders with kick out, Rav4 mirrors, SDHQ ABS sensor armor, rear lower link armor, ICON rear shock guards, adjustable rear sway bar links.
    "Also, I highly encourage you NOT to use those Baja Designs squadrons on the road (they are great for offroad only). They have no glare control or cutoff, meaning that yes, you are bothering other drivers. They'll also be useless in actual fog- turning them on will transform fog into a wall of light reflecting back into your eyes, much like your high beams."

Baja Designs has an SAE squadron kit that is street legal along with the proper glare control and cutoff.

22. Jun 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    They do. They have nerfed optics and they are some of the lowest performing fog lights on the market. They're handily beat by factory halogen fog lights, as well as just about any replacement fog you can buy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    ForRun likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top