1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4Runner Buyer.

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by IBoughtA4Runner, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Mar 16, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    IBoughtA4Runner

IBoughtA4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey,

I just joined and have a couple questions. I am not new to the Toyota world but I have some questions regarding the fourth gen 4Runner. Price seems to range within the 03-06 years with mileage around 120k-150k.

I see the main issues being two things, rust and headgasket issues.

Rust is explanatory to know how it happens but the V6, which I am more interested in, has these headgasket issues I have read about. A seller might not be to kind if I start pulling a plugs to check cylinders. Is it really that huge of a issue? I could pressure test the radiator, have it sit for a few minutes while I do other inspections and then try to start and see if I have a rough idle. Any other suggestions or advice here?

The V8 I could get, but gas mileage might be bad. How do you find your mileage to be with them and is it crowded in the bay to work on? I once worked on the V6 and it was not bad. The timing belt does not bother me as well, just that whole cam seal replacement seems intricate. Any views on here?

Thank you in advance!

2. Mar 17, 2017 at 4:37 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    My 2007 has 206k miles and no issues. I think the head gasket issues were earlier models from 2003-2005.

3. Mar 17, 2017 at 5:28 AM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    03/04 have the head gasket issues, there was a redesign in 05 and those years and up don't fall victim to it

keakar likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top