1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Runner Bumper defect

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lily2019, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Lily2019

Lily2019 [OP] New Member

Member:
    gh

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Welcome. Easier to read if you can hit Edit and break that up into paragraphs

3. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Welcome to the forum!

That was a lot to read through!

Sorry to hear about your troubles and that you are getting the run-around. It sucks when a brand new vehicle isn't right!

I've heard of others on here having similar bumper problems, and that Toyota has no fix.

Hopefully Toyota will get this figured out!

Lily2019[OP] likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    To long to read but sorry bout the scratches

Lily2019[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2019 at 10:27 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    TLDR. welcome

Lily2019[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2019 at 11:05 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yep, your bumper issue is not a new issue. I’ve seen it reported on this and other forums. Is it an “unusual” issue? I’d say yes, it is. I couldn’t begin to speculate on numbers of trucks affected, but it’s certainly not “most” 4runners. Or anywhere close to “most” 4runners. But it totally sucks that you got one that was affected. I hope they make it right for you.

Your only hope is to jump through the hoops or hire outside counsel if you can afford it. But to be honest, you’d lose less money if you traded it for a new truck and took the loss. Because attorneys are gonna cost you more than what you’d lose on a trade.

It sucks, and it seems unfair (it IS unfair). But that’s the reality, unfortunately. You could investigate your state’s lemon laws, hire an attorney, and pursue that route. But it’s a giant pain in the a**. More power to you if you choose to go that route.

How do I know this? Because I got a new Toyota truck with problems (3rd gen Tacoma). And they told me “everything was normal”. Over and over and over again. Countless hours on the telephone (40 hours plus). Dozens of hours at the dealer. Had to cancel pre-planned vacation trips. Nothing was normal about it.

I didn’t have money for lawyers. So I eventually traded the truck. And lost a ton of money (couldn’t sell it private because nobody in their right mind would have bought it). And so I traded and bought a 4runner. Because they’re good trucks.

My problem wasn’t/isn’t with Toyota quality. It was the 7th new Toyota truck I’d purchased in the last 25 years. Loved ‘em all. But I did have a problem with that particular one.

After I traded the bad one, I’m happy again. But I’m several thousand dollars poorer.

As for the “dealer instilled scratches” from the post-sale free car wash... that’s between you and the dealer... and not between you and “Toyota”.

Lily2019[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 4, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    268 pages of people in the same boat as you in this thread (different issue but similar scenario)... and they share the same sentiment. Open up a case with corporate. And hope that with numbers, the problem gets addressed.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...oise-howling-when-feathering-throttle.442341/

You’ll also find that the majority of forum members are enthusiasts. And they love their trucks. You might find some sympathy (I know that’s not why you’re here). But you also might get some blow-back (or silence). Don’t take it personally.

Hope you get your issue resolved... These are great trucks! Unfortunately once in awhile there’s a flaw that’s tough to remedy. Keep on it.

Lily2019[OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Holy paragraph.

I gave up after the second line.

I think someone had found a solution on what needed to be done somewhere. I look (for maybe 5 min) to see if I can find it.

Products Discussed in

To Top