1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.7 litre build

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Wubert, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Apr 18, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    Wubert

Wubert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Vehicle:
    *98 4Runner
    I'm eventually (finances allowing) going to be doing a 4.7 swap into my 98. I've had a few thoughts about the 4.7 and come up with a few questions I thought this group might be able to answer or discuss.

I understand that the 4.7 wasn't really strong enough for the TRD super charger. Is there anything like a "bottom end kit" that would make the engine strong enough? Maybe even "bullet proof" ?

What about boring and/or stroking? is it possible? Are there kits?

2. Apr 26, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    The 03/04 were stated to not be strong enough for the Supercharger but have buddies running them with no issues! The VVTI supposedly has different connecting rods of a different material, I can't confirm this though. I will say longtubes, exhaust, intake mods and a URD tune really wake the v8 up!!!!

If your looking for a fairly bulletproof v8 to put in get a 1UZ as opposed to the 2UZ, the 1UZ's I have seen making 800+ which will be useless in your rig, realistically anything over 350 to the wheels will become a huge issue with breaking parts in a 4wd, I know from experience. I would say just do a swap, make some headers to work, high flow or no cats, and have fun, do opt for the 5 speed auto from the 03+ 4Runners though and you will be happy you do, they are nice ass tranny's and really compliment the shift points and the engines well!

NOW, further information I have found from looking my ass off is this - the Japan made 4Runner 4.7 is Far stronger than the US made 4.7 found in Sequoia's and Tundra's, just something for you to consider - the 4Runner is forged and can handle it - to my knowledge there were no 4Runners that were blown with the TRD supercharger, but the Tundra's and Sequoia's were blowing left and right. Now for the ultimate junkyard build the 2UZ-FE VVTI with the 1UZ connecting rods would be good but the 4.7's only have 2 bolt mains, the 1UZ has 6 bolt mains, and the 3UZ has 6 bolt mains and VVTI but shorter stroke than the 2UZ etc. Hit me up if you have any questions, this is all fresh in my mind lol.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Bob likes this.
  3. Apr 26, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    Also want to add the 4.7 from a yard can get pretty expensive, you can get 1uz's out of lexus's LS400 etc for around 300, I almost went this route with my SC300 but ended up doing a 1JZ-GTE VVTI swap in that car, still miss it from time to time:) AND, another thing to add the 1UZ there are kits to bolt the CD009 6 speed from a 350Z one the bell housing.... 6 speed would probably be too long for the 4wd setup but it's nice to know if your interested. ECU support is better for the 1UZ as well if you want to just swap, then get a tune it's not as locked down as the 4.7's are, again just some food for thought for you.

4. May 10, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    OH, know you haven't responded to anything I posted but the easy part of the swap is the bolting it in, the hard part of the swap is the ECU/Engine monitoring and control. then beefing up the power and components, for this the best site for the Toyota V8's is 100% lextreme.com

Wubert[OP] and Bob like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top