1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3VZ-E replacement cylinder heads?

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Fourtoad, May 8, 2019.

1. May 8, 2019 at 5:10 AM
    Fourtoad

Fourtoad [OP] Gatorgrl's Yotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Gatorgrl
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    1991 V6 5 speed super clean, Black and grey
    Stock with headers and after market wheels.
    Looking at replacing our factory cylinder heads in our 3.0. Any opinions on who's got decent ones?
    Does anyone have any experience with King cylinder heads?

2. May 17, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    Looked seriously at DOA but did the clean up and port matching my self to save time and money. The rotary sanding drums on the end of a 10,000 rpm die grinder make short work in getting things sorted out for the port matching and removing as cast roughness in the plenum intake manifold and head ports. I made a valve spring compressor with a big c-clamp and a bit of PVC pipe. I replaced the exhaust valves, valve guide seals, lapped the valve seats in the heads and cleaned the intake valves using my Jacobs 3/8 chucked Milwaukee Power drill in a vise. It takes some time but then you know it is done right! As for the flatness I just lapped the heads as they were not warped. The valve lash after lapping the seats didn't change things and so the shims were still within spec for the clearance. Using Loctite 515 for the CAM bearing caps at the ends of the heads works really well but the jury is still out on how to seal up those blasted black rubber covers at the end of the CAM shafts. Mine are spewing oil after 6 tank fulls of fuel since the break-in/rebuild. I used Halomar and am thinking it was bad choice for this gasket sealing requirement?

Fourtoad[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top