1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Row Or Not To 3rd Row Thats My Question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by STOCKTRD, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok first real post. Looking at getting a newer T4R. Does the 3rd row take away from carrying cargo? Also, pros and cons of 3rd row vs no-3rd row. Does it help if I want to sell it in a few years. TIA.

Strandskov likes this.
  2. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I don’t see any resell benefit on a 3rd row since the 4runner is a real suv and not a “mommy bomber”
    When there is no real need for it then don’t get it, especially since it’s not available for the trail or orp

3. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    If you use the back for anything more than your purse/backpack, the third row will be problematic. If you need a third row for peeps and need to take all their stuff, too, I’d be looking at something bigger. At Christmas, we had four adults, two full side dogs, and stuff in the 4Runner. Had to use a rooftop carrier.

Strandskov likes this.
  4. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    why?:notsure:

but I’m happy to entertain you!

Strandskov likes this.
  5. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I guess “mommy bomber” isn’t a term in the English language...

it means a vehicle for duty’s like driving kids to school or doing the grocery - the 4runner wouldn’t be ideal for that, expect “mommy” likes to go wild once in a while!
    You proof that already so there was definitely no offense to you!

6. Jan 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    compliments are my specialty :taco:

anthonydotb and Strandskov like this.
  7. Jan 25, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    with the third row up, you have about enough room for a few file folders in what's left of the cargo area. and there's very little leg room for whoever's stuck in the third.

8. Jan 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    I got a set of 3rd row seats to install in my Trail. Haven't used them yet, but was interested in the extra capacity for when we have extra people and want to take one car. I wouldn't put adults back there for a road trip though.

2A4R likes this.
  9. Jan 25, 2020 at 10:52 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    The difference in cargo capacity between the two is very significant. Take a look at them side by side at a dealer and you’ll better appreciate the difference.

For me, 99% of the time I don’t need a 3rd row. And the extra cargo capacity in a non-3rd row is appreciated every time I take a trip (or want to haul a load).

And in the moments I think a 3rd row would have been nice, I can always find another option (take two cars).

Also note that the two vehicles are very different when the middle row seats are laid flat. This is also something you should look at in person.

Maybe someone with 3rd row can post pics of the seats laid flat. And we can compare to one that doesn’t have 3rd row.

Strandskov likes this.
  10. Jan 25, 2020 at 11:42 PM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    285/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    No

Strandskov likes this.
  11. Jan 26, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Keukasmallie

Keukasmallie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver SR5 Premium
    No for me too. I bought it for the cargo space along with the other 4runner "acoutrements."

Strandskov likes this.
  12. Jan 27, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    WeldingReaper

WeldingReaper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Sulphur Springs, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD off-road
    Nothing yet
    We traded our 2011 Tahoe in on our 2019 4Runner, we have 2 kids and had to make a decision on the same thing. We decided no 3rd row due to cargo space. We’ve had ours just over a year and love it and have had no regrets!

13. Jan 27, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    No if you need a 3rd row you need a mini van.

3rd row is useless to seat anyone anyways. Why in the world its an option beats me.

14. Jan 27, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    Alfa1

Alfa1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Vehicle:
    2020 Nightshade
    3 kids and the 3rd row is a lifesaver... no minivan for us !
    We split the 3rd row to keep half cargo space. Works for us.

thrilla023 likes this.
  15. Jan 27, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I guess in some case or for some people the 3rd row is useful and hey we all have different opinions but I think it will get us all on the same page when I say the 3rd row is a compromise.

Strandskov likes this.
  16. Jan 27, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    Huzer21

Huzer21 New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 GX 460
    We use the third row a few times a year. When we need it, it’s handy. If people have trouble packing stuff when the third row is not in use, then you have a problem packing. I can get 4 sets of hockey gear, two being goalie gear, with no issue. Do I wish Toyota offered them on the Off Road or Pro, sure.

Of course, when the third row is being used, there is zero cargo room. You can either shuttle 4 or 5 people AND their stuff, or you can shuttle 6-7 people and no stuff (inside, at least).

Another advantage of the third row is that the second row seats can slide forward as well. There have been times I’ve had a few longer items, but still had people in the 2nd row. Being able to slide the seats forward just an inch or two made a big difference.

As far as the third row seats being useless, yes, if you’re above, 5’6” or so. My wife can ride in the third row, and my son likes riding back there. I’m 6’4”, so I’d need to be decapitated to fit.

Strandskov likes this.
  17. Jan 28, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    it's only useful if you have two small kids. once they get bigger, its use less. max size to fit comfortable is like 5'5".

Strandskov likes this.
  18. Jan 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman New Member

Member:
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I can fit adults in the 3rd row fine. But I have to compromise by scooting the 2nd row forward a little bit.

Strandskov and Daytonaviolet like this.
  19. Jan 28, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    I have a 3rd row and it's super useful. Then again, I have 4 kids and the oldest is 13. If you have 3+ kids, or routinely haul 5 people, I think it could be entirely useful. I don't think many adults would enjoy the 3rd row. You will lose cargo space with the seats folded down vs a 2-row 4R. And when using the 3rd row, your cargo space is basically a few cases of beer. I don't think I'd buy a 3rd row for resale value.

Strandskov likes this.
  20. Jan 28, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Fair comments all of these. Adding to these and my prior comments, I've done long hauls with 6 people and two cargo boxes and it's more than manageable. It's less roomy than my wife's van, but since hers doesn't have roof rails, we can haul much more with the 4R (until we add rails to her van).

Strandskov and Mitch like this.
  21. Jan 29, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    5 kids here so we use all 7 seats in or 4R.
    Roof rack and/or hitch tray hold stuff on trips.
    We still offroad it, go camping and all that.
    You can fit small backpacks, diaper bags, first aid kit, etc behind 3rd row. I also keep a 12v compressor and tire plug kit back there. There is a cubby on the side that fits a tow strap, gloves, and shackle if you roll it just right.
    Small coolers can fit behind front seats in the floor.

3rd row seat adds about 100lb. If you plan to install lift, extra weight of that seat plus kids carseats plus kids means you get less lift than advertised usually. I'm on 3rd attempt with getting rear suspension where i want it and mostly happy with it now.

ERMBPA3 and Strandskov like this.
  22. Jan 29, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    esavi87

esavi87 .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORP/'15 SR5 Prem/'99 Limited
    I have an sr5 premium with 3rd row seating. It's a nice function to have IF you will use it. I got mine thinking I would use it regularly, and there's been a whole 2 times in a year and a half that it's come up. Both times we ended up taking 2 cars instead of unloading the back and using the 3rd row....so, never used. It really is a personal choice. Not worth it for resale value (most people don't care).

Strandskov likes this.
  23. Jan 29, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr Have you seen the mall?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    When we were shopping we considered the third row option because we had a montero prior that had it and we used the third row all the time. Side by side, yes there is a cargo difference, 4"-6" difference in floor height and I dont believe the floor folded totally flat when the middle seats were down. That was a little turn off for us but not the deal breaker. When it came down to it two things sealed the fate of not getting the third row. 1) we wanted the Off-Road with the manual transfer case 2) The people that we carted around in our previous third row were a bunch of drunks and they could lay on the floor if the free ride was worth it to them!

*Disclaimer* This is not legal advice and one should never throw drunk people in the back of their car without seatbelts.... even if it is funny and they deserve it for making me DD.

Strandskov likes this.
  24. Jan 29, 2020 at 1:40 PM
    esavi87

esavi87 .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORP/'15 SR5 Prem/'99 Limited
    @MyWyfsRnnr Hahaha! I wasn't going to say it out loud, but since you did first-I'll admit it too, we have definitely thrown the drunkies in the back as well. (instead of trying to get the 3rd row up) Only for short distances, and never on the freeway or at any high speeds. ;)

Strandskov and MyWyfsRnnr like this.
  25. Jan 30, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    SCgman

SCgman New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    Front plate bracket install Step hitch insert install Cargo area Pet barrier Protective seat covers Front seats Yakima roof rack- detachable Rear molle storage panels w/ Connecting shelf
    My runner has the sliding cargo tray which takes away up to about 3" of ht clearance in that area. From the pix of 3rd row models I've seen, the depth of the seat in the fold down position is very similar. When my labs were younger they made this jump look easy, now I wish I didnt have the tray as I have to lift the older hoss up myself and the younger one is losing altitude as well.

Strandskov likes this.
  26. Feb 1, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    josephp732

josephp732 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Limited, 2021 White TRD OR Premium
    Strandskov likes this.
  27. Feb 1, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    TMReidAZ

TMReidAZ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 Premium 4x4
    I just bought a 2020 SR5 Premium w/ a 3rd row. I have 3 boys (1, 10 and 14 years old.)... it's nice so that my boys can stretch out a little on long trips... and also note that it is a 50/50 3rd row, so you can have one seat up and still have cargo space. I wouldn't have been able to justify buying a 4runner if it didn't have this option honestly, because I was looking for something that offered more seating than our old CUV. I think you'll find opinions are divided on this, but for me it was a must-have. Hope this helps

thrilla023 and Strandskov like this.
  28. Feb 2, 2020 at 5:56 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    If you have a couple of kids and one or all of them quarrel on trips, a third seat is priceless. Put one of them back there with a device, and peace! Put your gear on the roof with a good rack, like a front runner.

Strandskov likes this.
  29. Feb 5, 2020 at 10:54 PM
    1bad2k

1bad2k New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 4R
    I just bought my wife an SR5 premium with 3rd row. She and I both wanted to get her a pro like my tacoma, but she wanted the third row seats since we have our third son due this week. Unfortunately you cant get any TRD with the third row and she didnt like the looks of a limited, so SR5 it was. We passed on many due to them not having the extra seats. With both rear sets up, you have basically zero storage back there. We leave one seat down, so she does still have plenty of room. With both seats folded down, you cant even tell the third row is there. Also, the third row would be next to useless if you planned on an adult back there. It's really only good for a child up to teenager, or maybe a small adult haha. Hope this helps some.

Strandskov likes this.
  30. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    mustangr2

mustangr2 New Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner sr5
    Xenon led low and high beams Switchback turn signals SSO sliders with kick out Blackout emblems Falken atw wildpeaks
    I have a 2017 with the 3rd row. I had 2017 pro on order and really wanted it but cancelled because I realized the 3rd row is was more important function. I figured I have the extra money to modified and build it up and it still be good off road in the sr5 trim. Granted it is not a great 3rd to use regularly or on long trips but it’s nice to have in pinch. I have used mine half a dozen times. The cargo room is pretty bad with the third row up. I have roof top carrier I put on the car if I know I am going to be using the 3rd row. I have usually use it when a lot of family come to town and visit. My advice would be if you really need a third row for a every day use than it probably be more useful to look at another vehicle all together. I love my 4Runner but as real regular use third row I think there are better options out there

Strandskov likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top