1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Generation purchase and questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by hwork50, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Nov 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    hwork50

hwork50 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    1992 4wd 4runner
    none
    Hello,

I am new to the forum, but not new to Toyota products. I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner AC that is running out of room for my big son and his friend.

My challenge is I need a vehicle that will be a daily driver and will also be willing to handle occasional snow and Baja mexico off road situations. I need it to be reliable and and hopefully a stick.

Wanted to get peoples opinions on how this vehicle would fair for the things I need it for. My Prerunner has been amazing, but I think it might be time to go to more of an SUV type vehicle.

I will have between 10-12k total to spend on a vehicle.

What do you think?

2. Nov 23, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    I think your good. Look for a 99 or 00 SR5 if you want the 5speed. Get the 4x4 and the 3.4 you will be so much better off. Here is the deal, IF you can find one with all that above and a factory locker your winning big time. Also 97-98 have more 5speed in them as for production numbers.

Like I said above try not to get hung up on a rear locker but if you can get one factory jump all over it if it's clean. The good thing is you live in calie and there are lots of clean ones around but your still going to have a fun time finding a 5speed. I would look on cl,autotrader,cars.com all of them. Your going to pay up to 10k fpr a good one maybe even a little more. What ever is left over throw a middle of the road lift from toytech or equal and a set of good 33s (not bigger) and you will never be sorry. It will wheel ,Baja , do the trails in big bear and always get you home. You get into 35s and you start breaking stuff quick with that ifs.

Other than that man that pretty much will get you were you need to be. Have fun hunting and if you find one in so cal take it to yotamasters or if in San Diego take it to the truck shop. That's it period those are the go too shops for yota in so cal. Let those boys look it over good before you buy one

Blue

Products Discussed in

To Top