1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen 3" lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dr What98, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Apr 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM
    Dr What98

Dr What98 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    99' Limited
    3" lift, 33” BFG muds, Aircraft Landing lights, Tractor muffler... The usual stuff.
    So I've heard the max lift you can do without having to drop the front diff and brake lines, etc. is 3" is this correct? And if not, what is the max you can do without problems?

2. Apr 4, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    # inches in the number you want. after that you eat up cv axles even with a diff drop.

blue

3. Apr 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    Damstr8

Damstr8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    99 black 4runner
    I'm running 265 75 r16 on stock suspension w little issues (rarely rubs). I'm looking into the rough country 3" lift to offer better clearance, but have read mixed reviews on this product

4. Apr 4, 2016 at 2:47 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It's a entry lift plain and simple.

5. Apr 4, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    Judobum

Judobum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    1996 Green Limited 4Runner
    Coil lift/body lift, custom fishing rod holder on front bumper,fog lights, remote start, Volo performance chip
    For what its worth I have a 3 inch Toytec ultimate suspension lift set at 2.5 in the front with the medium duty coils. Got a 3 inch 4crawler body lift. The 96 needs a spacer on the left because they lean a little. Its got 35s on it with 1.25 spacers. The body lift is cool, but not what I expected. I never would have purchased the vehicle with the body lift, but it was my neighbor's kid's vehicle and he gave me a really good deal on it. I guess that's how you learn. Stick with the 3 inch suspension lift and a smaller (33?) tire. I believe it'll save you tons of work, time, maintenance issues and gas mileage. I love my 4runner,but I was ignorant when I bought this one. It runs great on the beach and goes anywhere, but it sucks the gas and keeps my attention when driving in windy conditions.

Dr What98[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 5, 2016 at 2:14 AM
    Slapp_Master420

Slapp_Master420 New Member

Member:
    Cali bay area
    Vehicle:
    99 runner sr5
    99 runner toytec springs front and rear tundra bilstiens front long travel rear total chaos front upper control arms injen tuned air intake 33/12.50 Goodyear MTR on 20x9 red dirt road rims 30 inch single row light bar Mounted under Savage bumper flowmaster super 44 55 watt AC hi/low 5k hid,elocker swap
    I got tundra front bilstiens with the toytec lift springs and a 3/8 in spacer up front with diff drop and total chaos upper control arms got a nice ride real solid and smooth gave me a good 3 inch in front and for the rear I got the toytec super flex with extended length Billie's .... Pushing 4 in the rear and running 33/12.50 r20 Goodyear MTR tires .... Some issues I have experienced is bent front sway bar links so I made my own sway bar drop ( frame side) about an inch and it leveled my sway bar back and it's good ..... As for the rear did some research and gonna get front sway bar links for it as they are longer and will work prefect I also got poly bushings front and rear and one annoying thing about the rear superflex springs is they are progressive and some of the coils touch and causes what is called spring slap it's anoyying so I got some 5/8 heater hose and cut 4 like 5 inch pieces and slid them onto the coil where I could see the paint was rubed off and even put a piece at the moiunt on the axle and wala no more spring slap and it also gave me roughly 3/4 more of lift so I'm just about 5 rear and a solid 3- 3.5 front ..... Rides great .... Looking into getting the toytec front adjustable spring sleeves to get a lil more out of the front .... Check on toytec website they have a lot of good stuff and I got all my stuff from wheelersoffroad and got no tax and cheap shipping

7. Apr 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I've wheeled with alot of 3rd Gens and Yota guys. A 3rd Gen with 3 inches of lift and a good set of 33's will go almost any place you want to go. If it has a locker in it even better. It is just the magic number for them. No breaking issue like running 35's, Gas mileage is not effected to bad. That is how I have my 99 set up.

Blue

YotaDan, UssMoGn and Dr What98[OP] like this.
  8. Jan 24, 2017 at 3:40 AM
    Justin5772002

Justin5772002 New Member

Member:
    Got a 3rd generation Runner. Does the year of the front tundra billies?

9. Jan 24, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1996 TaCoRunner
    Extented Coil Lift. Custom bumpers
    Thats how I got mine set up, But im still running 265/75s Plan on going to a 33 size next.

Products Discussed in

To Top