1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 new coils, 3 new injectors, $1100 later...still shaking. HELP!

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by melodyraz, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jan 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    melodyraz

melodyraz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 4Runner Limited V6 2WD
    Hello all! Hope your year is off to a better start than mine!

I have a 1997 Limited with 108K. I'm the second owner, bought it 2005 with 57K.

Dec 13 - cylinder misfire #1 --->solution: 3 new Toyota ignition coils (I think 1,3, 5) along with spark plugs. Garaged for almost 2 weeks, then the same thing happened - rough ride, severe shaking of the engine at idle, check engine light on, took back to my same mechanic that I've had for 4/5 years. Again cylinder #1, did a compression test and said one of the injectors (in the center hard to get to area) is out so I bought 3 new Denso's and a new Toyota fuel filter. Picked up the car yesterday and drove it a bit today - still rough ride but at idle - at a long stop light - there is already mild shaking. It seems that after about 30min-1hr of driving, the shaking starts.

I am not going to take it back to the same guy because he is too far from where I live - but I need some education on what may be going on so I can find someone local to help before the check engine light and severe shaking start again. Nursing school resumes on the 22nd and I have to have an operable vehicle.

Please help! I love my green machine but I'm a student and can't keep pouring money into the same problem.

Thank you!
    Melody

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. Jan 12, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    melodyraz

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PS...I had two O2 sensors replaced in July/August so I could pass emissions. Same mechanic.

I'm searching threads and seeing head gaskets, etc.

I replaced the timing belt in 2005 when I bought it at 57K.

3. Jan 12, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Melody,

Ok so I'm going to go out on a limb on this one. If you want to have a shop run that is called a CO2 test. In short it tests for your Exhaust in the coolant, make sure they do it at the Radiator on a cold dead start and let it warm up while running this test. That is key. In all honesty I'm not saying it is not the head gasket but from what you are saying I'm going to guess not. Your not talking about the white smoke and loss of coolant. Now if you were my customer standing at my service counter I would tell you the same thing but I would not rule it out either. It is a cheap and easy test if done correct.

What codes dose it have if any at this point? Or what did it have in the past. I know that you said 1,3,5 and that is all on the same side if my brain is working correct.

I know this sounds crazy but what dose the throttle body look like? Is it dirty?

Another things- just because the parts are new doesn't make them good sweetie. We have got new in the box parts that are junk so have them go back and check each part and see if they are working like they should. Another thing is did they clip all the injectors back in like they should?

Tell you what too- Tomorrow give this guy a call out in Corona California. His name is Eric and he own Yotamasters. The man is a Fing wizard on a 3.4 engine and I'm sure he can give you some ideas to tell someone to check. Really it will be worth your time I promise! just google the shop name.

Keep us posted

Also Welcome to the site.

Blue

4. Jan 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    melodyraz

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue,

Thank you so much for the info and the welcome. I will give him a call for sure. I wish I could go to him...lived in Fullerton until Sept - so much closer to Corona but I'm in Long Beach now and while I could get it towed there, I don't have any way of getting back out there.

I can't recall the codes. I have the paperwork that has the compression test info but it's hard to decipher his handwriting. But yes, 1,3,5 are all on the same side - that's why when one coil was burnt, he had me replace all 3 and the same thing with the injectors.

I can't answer the other questions - good parts, clips, throttle body because honestly, everything I know, I know from reading this site ever since I failed smog and had to get new O2 sensors (though he only put in 2 instead of 4 because they were so expensive and I passed with that so I was cool with it.) I haven't driven the car much since I got those put in in late July/August.

I will call Eric and get some insight from him. I found 2 mechanics nearby with good Yelp reviews and I was thinking of taking the car to each of them first thing in the morning. I'm afraid of driving too much since the CEL came on both times I did on Dec 12 and Jan 4.

I've been reading through a bunch of threads and scaring myself of more repair $$$.

One other question - for the longest time, if it rains really hard - which is really only in January around here - my driver side floor gets wet - obviously some kind of leak - but could that be causing any rust issues? The reason I ask is...if it turns out I need to spend another $1000 - should I do that? I have this horrible vision of my feet coming out below like Fred Flinstone :crapstorm:I graduate in May of 2018 and that's when I was planning on getting a new car. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater but I don't want to spend good money after bad either.

Thanks again!!!!
    Melody:bowdown:

5. Jan 14, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:

In all honesty I'm telling you to take it to Eric. The only other Tech I would let mess with my 4Runners in down in San Diego (The Truck Shop-James) The guy knows his shit too. Those are the only two Tech I let touch my 4runner because it was right the first time every time. They have forgot more about Toyota's than I know in honesty. James races them when he is not at the shop and Eric dose the same but more into off road stuff and custom builds etc. Both of those shops only work on Lex and Toyota period.

The one thing I was thinking about that can do this also is the plug wires. There has been no talk about this? It's a silly thing but if they have not been checked out your going to be real pist off if that is all it is. Also same with the plugs too. Are they the correct ones. This is why I say this. If you got a Parts store they will sell you what ever fits in there computer. If it is not Denso or NGK it doen't go into that truck period. It may work for a little bit but it will run like total crap real quick. Same goes for a GM product-They get A/C Delco for a reason and Dodge get Champion. They come that way from the factory for a reason. Honda get NGK's and Denso too. Get my points.

Talk to Eric and see what he can do. He might be able to work something out for you. Tell him one of the guys from the forum that was his customer sent you and his having you call him(But now lives n MO). Not that it matters because he will give anyone the shirt off his back type of guy and guys there. It's a small hole in the wall place but don't let it fool you. Promise you that.

The issue with the water thing. It sounds like the drain plug tube is clogged up to me, that is a super easy thing to clean out. Drivers side correct?????????? That is important. If it is the passenger side then it can be the same thing or it could be the heater core starting to leak and that is a real PITA because the dash has to come out to replace it.

Now the million dollar question is this- Do I put good money into something that may be bad. The short answer with your current 4Runner is yes. I say this for many of reason but I'll be breif. If you buy a car or SUV that is of same age or maybe newer will you have to put more money into it after you buy it- ALMOST Always YES!!!!! Seen it in our shop way to many times to even count. Fix the 4Runner- This is why I'm telling you to take it to someone who really knows what the heck they are doing.

Also there is someone close to you that is a member here that might be able to come and look at it also. I'll message COB and see if he would mind helping you out. He is a really cool dude and knows the 3.4 very well also.

I hope this helps out sweetie.

Blue

6. Jan 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update????

Products Discussed in

To Top