1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.0L V6 on a 1st Gen... snatch or pass?

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by Positively_Weird, May 12, 2020.

1. May 12, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    Positively_Weird

Positively_Weird [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Camry SE
    scuffs out the ass
    I've been looking for an older Toyota pickup (1st gen tacoma or the awesome pre-taco trucks), but I just saw a 1988 4runner pop up on my local Craigslist that I couldn't scroll past. Only 130k on the odometer.

Problem is, I've heard bad things about these early 3.0L v6 engines that Toyota was using in their trucks, in fact I just had to turn down a truck that stole my heart because it had this very engine. Are the exact same ones used in the 4runners, and are they equally undesirable? With only 130k on the odo, would it be a bad idea to still snag this thing for the right price and just plan on doing an engine swap when the things blows a head gasket or some other failure they're apparently prone to?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. May 12, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Welcome!

Yes, it's the same motor as the pickups had, with the same problems. If the 4runner is very clean, it might be worth picking up anyway.

Good luck! And, welcome to the forum!

Positively_Weird[OP] likes this.
  3. May 12, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    It drives me nuts to hear people say the 3VZE is a garbage engine compared to the 22re. Is not. Both engines carry their own set of issues, however the 3VZE can be a little more expensive to repair due to the complexity vs its 4cyl brother. The extra 50hp is nice to have especially in the heavier 4Runner. If the engine blows later, replace or put a 5vze in it. My truck had 310k miles on it before I replaced the engine. A 3vze can be just as reliable if you have a clean baseline and keep up with oil/coolant flushes and timing belt replacement.

4. May 12, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    To be honest, I don't understand it either. I had a '94 SR5 with the 3VZ, and it was running perfectly when I traded it in with 200K+ miles on it. Maybe I got a Wednesday motor..:notsure:

5. May 12, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Positively_Weird

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Camry SE
    scuffs out the ass
    Cool. I'm hoping to talk the seller down to around $5K, so I guess really the only question is if I should replace the engine sooner or later? This is gonna be my one and onyl for a while, and I don't want to be left stranded if the thing blows.

6. May 12, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    I wasn’t meaning to direct that towards you specifically. There seems to be a grey cloud over the 3VZE in general around the web. I disagree with it. In my area I see equal amounts of both engines still on the road.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. May 12, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    5k could be a decent deal. But, you have to do your part to make sure all is ok. Compression test, coolant leak check, general condition inspections.

You have to do your part to make sure the deal is right.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  8. May 12, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    Positively_Weird

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Camry SE
    scuffs out the ass
    For sure, buyer beware. I am a young guy without too much experience, so the pre-purchase checks will have to be preformed by a trusted mechanic this time... however hopefully buying a 30-year old car will help me learn my way around an engine ;)

9. May 13, 2020 at 3:02 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    It will absolutely teach you some things.

10. May 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    After you get it checked out by the mechanic, go back to the seller, and TELL him that you've heard a lot of bad, bad things about the 3VZE. True or not, it's a bargaining chip. Tell him every thing the mechanic found, and maybe...embellish...his report a little bit. Tell him that since you'll probably have to replace the engine, or at least do a LOT of work on it, after all look all the troubles the mechanic found, you can't pay as much as he's asking. Maybe drop it to $3K, and dicker from there. Try to get the lowest price you can.
    Nothing wrong with being in this for yourself, not the seller. Don't just roll over and give him what he asks, except as a last resort.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. That truck will be an excellent learning tool. I've had an 87 4Runner and pickup since 88. I'm an electronics tech by trade, but I've learned an amazing amount of mechanical knowledge from my trucks. A lot before the advent of the internet, forums, and such. I did have some help, heck, a LOT of help from the 7 professional mechanics that I worked with, so it was all hands on. They would point, and explain, and then sit back and watch as I strained, groaned, messed up my knuckles, dropped tools in awkward places, loose parts, the whole nine. But I learned fast.

Good fortune to you!
    Pat☺

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  11. May 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    se7enine

se7enine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1984 4Runner
    3RZ
    99% of the trucks and 4runners at the junkyard are 3.slows.

12. May 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    I’m going to need references. :cool:

13. May 13, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    se7enine

se7enine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1984 4Runner
    3RZ
  14. May 13, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Likely because from 88-95 a very large percentage of 4Runners had the v6 due to the output versus the 22re. Also the amount sold in that time were higher than earlier models.

All good continue.

15. May 13, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    se7enine

se7enine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1984 4Runner
    3RZ
    I say swap the 22re with 3rz's and the 3vz for the 5vz and solve those old problems with better ones.

16. May 13, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Positively_Weird

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Camry SE
    scuffs out the ass
    Well this thing is coming in well under my budget, so an engine swap will likely be in order at some point. A junkyard peppered with "3.slow" corpses is just a junkyard full of parts for my ride

Dark Knight likes this.
  17. May 13, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    So basically lie to the guy, and hope he's stupid enough to fall for your fairy tale, so you can knock off a couple thousand bucks. Nice. That's what I call good fortune.

18. May 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    Positively_Weird

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Camry SE
    scuffs out the ass
    Well I truthfully HAVE heard bad things about them... even if I also have heard less bad things about them. $6K is his asking price, $5K is my goal.

19. May 13, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    se7enine

se7enine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1984 4Runner
    3RZ
    They are $3k all day here.

20. May 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    You think the sellers don't lie their tails off to increase the price?
    Simply exaggerating a bit on things found, or things heard on the net, is no more dishonest, or honest.

Not ALL sellers lie, very true. If you find one dealing honestly, all well and good, but I would still check things out very thoroughly. Especially anything the seller specifies as fixed, or new.
    Frame rust is a good example. Does the seller specify no frame or body rust? Get under the truck and really LOOK at the frame. Including inside the larger frame rails. Did the seller just cover up rust with paint or the like? Check the little body nooks and crannies. Bubbles in the paint? Sure indication of rust under it.

That's just an example. Some, in fact a lot, of engine problems or repairs are difficult to inspect right off. Can you SEE a new head gasket? Probably not without disassembly. Yes, bad hoses and belts, easy to see, but there's a lot more to an engine than that. And most sellers won't let you really dig in. Understandably. They have no idea what your level of ability is.

But any and everything you can find wrong with the tuck is money off the price, just as any actual, honest to goodness repairs are increases. It's a matter of figuring out who, the buyer or seller, is being the most honest. And then dickering the price. You want the best price you can get. Yes, a few thousand dollars really does matter to many of us.
    All this is part and parcel of vehicle sales/purchasing.

So yes, I do wish the buyer good fortune. I hope he gets a good price. Same thing I would with someone on here that is selling a vehicle. I would wish them a good, but honest, price.

Maybe I am just jaded and cynical.
    Pat☺

21. May 16, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    NightOwl

NightOwl 1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX 22REC

Member:
    First Name:
    Amos
    Ballwin, MO
    Vehicle:
    1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX
    LCE header, 2.5 inch exhaust, 31x 10.50 BF Goodrich, 15 X 8 aluminum wheels, Bilstein Shocks, 3 inch lift kit, 3M fender flares
    You know I have to reiterate...like anything mechanical...anything...it's all about the person maintaining. Air filters, oil changes, running in water off road...can all be related to critical mechanical failures...listen when you drive before buying...pay attention to the oil dip stick and the color...clearly differential, transmission and transfer case oil need to be looked at too...grey oil is a sign of water contamination and can be detrimental if driven without change...it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out deficient maintenance...spend a few minutes and pull all the drain plugs...it will tell a lot!!!

To Top