1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD for traveling, including snow?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by AC Orange, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Jul 26, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    AC Orange

AC Orange [OP] New Member

Member:
    You are so right about A/C ... southwest Florida here and May through September A/C is a must have. I learned to drive in upstate NY in the late 60's in my uncles '52 Dodge pickup. As soon as November rolled around it was on with the big ol' deep lugged snow tires. We used to have a riot driving in the snow and especially on Sundays. The big shopping centers would be mostly closed and we would head to their parking lots and do donuts galore.

mrmike7189[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 26, 2021 at 4:56 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Haha! I know what you mean. I lived in the southern tier, and in Rochester NY. You can learn how to drive just about anything in snow, 2WD, RWD, FWD, with snow tires or radials, as long as you take care to drive slower, accelerate and brake and turn slower, carry weight in the trunk, learn to rock the vehicle to get yourself unstuck, and carry emergency gear and clothes in case you do get stuck for many hours.

That said, I’ll never own a 2WD vehicle again. Been there done that. There can be lots of anxiety traveling in freak snowstorm weather in 2WD. Even if you need 4WD only occasionally you may want it for confidence during those snow belt trips, or pulling someone out of a ditch.

Plus you may move someday to a location where you can hit 4WD roads and trails. And I bet a 4WD 4R would be easier to sell.

DRobs, Roland, BearBio and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jul 26, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    Jasmeet004

Jasmeet004 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2011 4Runner Limited
    None
    We lived in WI for 16 years before we moved to Texas. We had Nissan Altima 2wd and Toyota Highlander 2wd. We never got stuck anywhere. Just take it easy and slow.

4. Jul 26, 2021 at 7:02 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Big difference between a fwd and rwd vehicle. Never had an issue with my corolla in snow, my Prerunner on the other hand not so good.

7385 and Trail Runnah like this.
  5. Jul 26, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    Well the 4WD will be much more desirable when you eventually sell it. And I'll mention that here in SW Michigan I've used my 4Runner to pull people out of muddy wet grass in the Spring and sometimes sand down by the Lake Michigan beaches in the Summer (many 2WD vehicles are seriously stuck if they drop their driving wheels into deep sand) and one time a guy stuck in deep gravel. So I get year round benefits from 4WD and can always go launch my canoe. But if you're in the Deep South and always on pavement 2WD may be just fine for you and a new 2WD 4Runner is a heck of a deal for $36k.

AC Orange[OP], mrmike7189 and BearBio like this.
  6. Jul 27, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    Emmohl

Emmohl New Member

Member:
    My wife has a 2011 2wd 4Runner. It's a FL truck. We moved to Long Island a few years back and she's still rocking it. Has some Wildpeaks and with a little weight in the back it does ok in snow. Never taken it out in anything deep and she doesn't offroad whatsoever. I've asked if she wants to trade it in but she loves it.

7. Jul 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    @AC Orange, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how a 2WD vehicle would work in occasional snow, having lived where you did for so many years. Of course 90% of the 4R owners on here are going to try and talk you out of a 2WD 4Runner, but the other 10% (and maybe less) know full well they'll never need 4WD or miss it in the least. If you want to save a bundle of cash, like driving a 4Runner for the handling, reliability, and interior room, and don't care about having a transfer case, I say go for it. You're the one who's going to shell out the cash and drive it day-to-day. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

8. Jul 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM
    ToDesi

ToDesi New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    I live in Canada so I'll chime in about snow driving, I've had BMW and Lexus RWD vehicles and it's not about the car, it's about SNOW TIRES. I had no issues getting around and passing SUV's with AWD stuck in ditches on all seasons. Get tires for the conditions you will be driving in and you will be fine!

9. Jul 27, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Jasmeet004

Jasmeet004 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2011 4Runner Limited
    None
    Yes it’s a big difference, my 2wd tundra did perfectly fine in recent ice and snow storm in Texas. I was able to go to work every day driving 45 miles. I saw many 4 wd trucks and jeeps stuck in ditches. Op has experience how to drive on snow.

AC Orange[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 28, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver SR5 4x4
    Quote My wife has a 2011 2wd 4Runner. It's a FL truck. We moved to Long Island a few years back and she's still rocking it. Has some Wildpeaks and with a little weight in the back it does ok in snow. Never taken it out in anything deep and she doesn't offroad whatsoever. I've asked if she wants to trade it in but she loves it.

If I lived in Florida I too would buy a 2wd 4 runner. If you just drive it to the Home depot and grocery store and dont off road, then why not?

11. Jul 28, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    A 4WD is just like that extra insurance, if you needed and you don’t have it you regret it. That’s why I have a 4WD.

BearBio likes this.
  12. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:08 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Just as an interesting nerd fact: they actually made 2wd Jeep Wranglers until 2011. In fact, 2wd was the standard model, and you had to up-spec to get 4wd.

AC Orange[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:14 AM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I had a unique experience of driving my 4runner in the snow in 2wd when the 4wd stopped working. This is absolutely terrifying and I almost ran off the road. The car is hopeless in the snow, the back end wants to come loose with the slightest acceleration. A 2wd 4runner is an abomination imo, don't be cheap get a real 4runner with 4wd.

thirdyota and Patcell like this.
  14. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It's all about having the right tires. I have used 3PMSF all terrain tires on my current 4runner, '15 Tacoma, and my '03 4Runner and almost never needed 4wd in snow. When I had the factory Dunlops on this one, though, it was sketchy in 2wd.

AC Orange[OP] and MeefZah like this.
  15. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:51 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    And yet somehow thousands of people drive RWD cars and 2wd pickups in snow and seem to endure...

16. Jul 29, 2021 at 5:02 AM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver SR5 4x4
    Thats what i have been saying. there are millions of 2wd trucks&vans driving all year long in all weather conditions.

AC Orange[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  17. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    What's good about me currently driving a 2wd is it's teaching me proper line choice. And I'm doing it at very slow 1st gear speeds. A riding buddy of mine who is a pro level racer switched over to racing trucks for a time.

What he said sticks in my head about guys who switch from racing off road dirt bikes to racing trucks. They are very easy to spot. the right side of the trucks are almost always wadded up. We get so used to focusing straight ahead and not to the right of us when switching to a 4 wheeled vehicle.

This is a good thing for me only having 2wd right now. I'm able to travel off road slowly and take my time choosing good lines and reading terrain that I otherwise would have the attitude of not worrying about because of having 4wd. This way when I switch to a 4Runner with 4wd I'll already have a little experience off roading in the 4 wheel world.

It's crazy that my only experience off highway (4 wheeled plated vehicle) since my Baja Bug days is getting my bikes out to the riding areas in the desert, mountains, or off road parks. Good news is my riding experience is a decent gauge of what a 4 wheeled vehicle is capable of.

To the OP you are going to be surprised of the capability of a 2wd 4runner. In some instances such as sand it will be more capable than a 4wd. Being almost 400lbs lighter helps a lot in certain situations.

mrmike7189 and AC Orange[OP] like this.
  18. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    This is why I'm in 2wd about 75% of the time I'm off-road. I usually wait until I need it. It's funny how quickly I have gone from 2wd to 4lo and locked, though. But, that's usually because I decided to take the harder line.

I highly doubt a less than 10% weight reduction will create enough flotation to compensate for a lack of 4wd. You can do a lot with 2wd, but getting it moving in deep sand is going to be way easier in 4WD.

19. Jul 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I was running Cooper Discoverers, a relatively aggressive tire. I'm not saying you couldn't get by with proper winter tires or chains.

Patcell and AC Orange[OP] like this.
  20. Jul 29, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Aggressive doesn't necessarily mean good in the snow. Yokohama Geolander AT's look like granny tires compared to KO2's, but were better in snow in my experience. Winter tires would be ideal, but don't make much sense for someone who lives in the south and only travels into snowy areas periodically.

21. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    Actually, this thread is kind of confusing OP asking "How many of you guys have (or have had) experience with 2WD 4runners? " Any 4runner by default drives in 2WD. So, only if you feel the need, switch to Four-Wheel Drive for superior traction in challenging on-road and off-road conditions such as mud, snow, ice, sand, rocks, steep uneven hills, challenging surfaces, and many other low traction terrains.

Sure, I understand, that's a matter of additional cost; hence, it's undeniably, two same vehicles with the same tires no matter, all terrain - snow tires - hot weather tires, superior traction will be find in a 4WD system, this is just a fact.

I live in a very hot climate, about 2-4 inches rain a year on average, in the summer most of the time between 90 and 110 degrees, winter it rarely snows, hence, I'm an hour and 45 minutes away from Cloudcroft & Ruidoso about 10000 Ft. elevation with a lot of snow, scenic drives and enjoyable to go on a day trip or ski vacation, spending time over there my 4WD vehicles did a good job for me, as well getting people out of their misery getting stuck in the snow.

To each his own. Just my 2C.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    DRobs and Thatbassguy like this.
  22. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Now that's just nonsense. Sure, they offered it, but there's no way it was the standard model. None of the Jeep dealers around even had a 2wd on the lot.

23. Jul 29, 2021 at 11:52 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Did the 4runner always come in 2wd? I don't remember seeing 2wd 1st or 2nd gen 4runners. If you are buying a 4runner just save a bit more and get 4wd. You might use it, you might not, but the difference in 2nd hand prices between 2wd and 4wd versions means you will make back the money you spent originally getting 4wd.

Roland, BearBio and Thatbassguy like this.
  24. Jul 30, 2021 at 5:26 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    olliechristoper and Thatbassguy like this.
  25. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I assume you are referring to this statement from https://www.motorbiscuit.com/do-all-jeeps-come-with-four-wheel-drive-standard/:

"The Wrangler picked up the reins in 1987 from the CJ’s meteoric run. Prior to 2011, the JK, Mountain, Sport, Unlimited, and Sahara all came standard with 2WD and offered a 4WD option. The Rubicon was only offered in 4WD. The turning point for the drivetrains of all Wrangler trim packages came in 2011. Each is now standard with 4WD."

While technically accurate, the article does mostly speak to the other Jeep models, which all came standard with 2wd. One would have to look far and long to find a 2wd Wrangler Unlimited in most of the country.

What the statement above does not say, and is misleading, is the 2-door JK, either in the X, Sahara, or Sport trim, was only offered in 4wd. That statement also makes it sound like all Wranglers, from 1987-2011, were offered in 2wd. The YJ & TJ never were, only the 2007-2010 JK Unlimited.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  26. Jul 31, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    My dad lives in Canada and he bought a 2WD RAV4 and he regrets not getting the AWD every winter.

Roland and BearBio like this.
  27. Jul 31, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Yeah, 2WD would suck in Canada. Does he use snow tires?

Roland likes this.
  28. Jul 31, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    Yes, snow tires are mandated where he lives, so he puts them on in October and off in April.

Roland and Thatbassguy like this.
  29. Jul 31, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I suppose that far north I'd definitely go AWD if it was an option. OTOH, my Scion TC on Hakkapeliittas is a beast in anything but deep snow. I guess it depends on your region more than anything.

olliechristoper likes this.
  30. Jul 31, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hakkapeliittas are amazing on ice and light snow.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top