1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

265, 275 tires? What are the suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by PCRIDE4RUNNER, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Apr 10, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    If you go with an OR rim, it’s 7.5. Imho, they are great rims, but you see them being sold as take offs at bargain prices by guys who don’t know any better.

brownersd and Toy4X4 like this.
  2. Apr 14, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    Mike6.5x47

Mike6.5x47 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner Off-Road Premium - Starting OVER!
    Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere, but this seemed like the right thread for a n00b question:

I expect to pick up a new '21 TRD Off-Road in the next couple of days and was thinking of replacing tires at least out of the gate. What's the consensus on this? I'm in the Vegas area and it'll be at least 75% street, but I want something capable when I head out into the desert. Since nothing I owned previously was "right" in my mind for heading out to BLM land, I'm not entirely certain what I'll be facing for terrain. I expect it'll likely be a lot like the SW Idaho area we moved from: mostly flat with some washboard roads and occasional washouts, but some more interesting terrain to be had sporadically.

Would you replace the stock tires (P265/70R17) immediately? What about the wheels? The current look doesn't bother me any, but isn't the TRD pro wheel lighter?

3. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:21 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    I'd go to an A/T tire. If you're worried about really sharp rocks, sticks, or super tough thorns.. go with an LT tire. I like my Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT275/70R17 "C" a lot.

Mike6.5x47 likes this.
  4. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    Mike6.5x47

Mike6.5x47 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Koukimonster! The greater question (especially since I just got notified that the 4runner arrived at the dealership this morning) is whether to replace the tires RIGHT NOW, or whether you'd run the stocks for awhile? From what I understand (at least up in Idaho) you could get at least some credit for the stock tires as long as you changed within a few hundred miles?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  5. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    If you are convinced you'll want to upgrade, which it sounds like you are, the sooner you do it, the better. You have a few options. You can buy new tires and try to sell yours on facebook, craigslist, etc.. that requires more effort and time, but you may get more for them that way. Heck, a new set of these tires is pretty expensive, so if you just happen to find an average joe that needs to replace his stockers, he will save a lot of money by paying $400 for yours. That said, I went with option B which was "trade them in" to Discount Tire. Since mine were brand new, like yours, I got $200 in credit. Not terrible, if you ask me. I had hoped for more, but it at least helped ease the pain of replacing brand new tires, a little bit. Option C, which I suggest you pursue, is try to negotiate with the dealer before you take delivery. Not knowing where you are in your purchase timeline, it may be too late for this. I did try to go about this after I took delivery of my 4Runner, but since I had already bought it, and driven it off the lot, they had zero interest in helping me. They may have had no interest in helping regardless.. but I have heard of some dealers doing this. If it is an option with your dealer, be sure to run the numbers. They may offer you more than $200 credit, but then have high prices for the tires they sell you, for example. Good luck and welcome to the community!

Singleminded likes this.
  6. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    Mike6.5x47

Mike6.5x47 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Koukimonster - talking to the dealer as soon as I can get the salesperson to call me :D

koukimonster likes this.
  7. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I sold mine from the dealership as I took possession of the vehicle. They were sold basically as new tires - I think they had 50 km on them. I agree with @koukimonster about Falkens although I have BFGs on mine, stock size. Falken also makes a 255/80/17 which is a 33” tire which I’m thinking should work without rubbing or trimming. I’m not certain about this though, so maybe others on here can weigh in. 255s are tall, and some call them skinny, although in truth they’re not wildly different from the stock size, just a hair taller at 32”. The slightly narrower width means that as you go up, you won’t rub or spray gravel and mud down the side of your vehicle as having wider tires tends to do.

Mike6.5x47[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    I just want to chime in and say be sure to check tire weights. My one complaint about my Falken is that it's super heavy. I want to say that I looked into that 255/80, and it was also pretty heavy. I like BFG KO2 as well, and will probably go to that next time since I can get a bigger KO2 than Wildpeak, that also weighs less! I personally went with 275's on my 4Runner because it was not lifted when I purchased my first (second?) set of tires. They still rubbed though, and pretty badly. Since I have a Venture with the lower offset wheels, mine rub, whereas a TRD OR probably wouldn't.

I really like the Wildpeaks because they have a very "square" look, which I really dig on off-road vehicles. Dang, they heavy tho. All that said, the weight doesn't really bother me, so maybe I'm being overly concerned about weight. 4Runner still drives great, although I swear I can "feel" the weight.. MPG's def. took a hit. Acceleration was always slow so who knows there lol.

Singleminded likes this.
  9. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    Mike6.5x47

Mike6.5x47 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys - the salesperson said that they wouldn't credit the existing tires (pro'lly because people wouldn't be clamoring after them)....I'll poke around at the other tire shops locally and see what can be had.

I agree on the "look" of the Wildpeaks, Kouki...I was also concerned about the weight and what it would do to MPG. Why can't rubber be light? ;)

10. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    After installing my new suspension and actually removing/installing the wheel/tire myself, I get it. Things are freaking massive! It didn't really hit me how large they are until I worked on them myself and rolled them around in the garage, etc. They put the car tires I'm used to working with to shame, lol. For kicks we set one against the side of my fiance's Mazda3. Looked good! :thumbsup::laugh:

11. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    Fortuner

Fortuner New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium w/KDSS
    For reference..I went with 275/70/17 KO2's.

Suspension:
    Front - Eibach Pro Truck Shocks @ 1.6" Setting w/OEM Spring
    Rear - Eibach Pro Truck Shocks & ¾" Cornfed Spacer w/OEM Spring

Edit: I removed both front/rear mud flaps purely for aesthetic reasons, not because of rubbing. I had very minor rubbing on the Driver Side Front Fender Liner...I did the fender liner mod and have Zero rubbing both ON & OFF ROAD. Truck is a 2021 TRD Off Road Premium w/KDSS.

justinfro, 2Toys and T4runner11 like this.
  12. May 4, 2021 at 8:55 PM
    Freedom

Freedom New Member

Member:
    I'm getting my new 2021 TRD ORP this weekend. I'm going between LT265/70r17 and LT255/80r17 in Nitto Ridge Grappler or Wildpeak AT3W. I live in Louisiana and look to travel out west and go into Baja, so some long drives. Staying stock height until I can wrap my head around all of these suspensions available on the market. What do you think I will give up in drivability if I go with 255/80/17? Decision is pressing as I will trade the stock tires in with Discount Tire to get a $200 to $300 credit.

13. May 5, 2021 at 4:39 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For extra height with no rubbing, you can’t beat a 255/80/17. They look cool too. It’s too bad you can’t simply recalibrate your speedometer with something like a Procal tool, like you can on a jeep. That’s the only disadvantage that I can see.

14. May 5, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I think the correct comparison is LT255/80r17 vs LT285/70r17

Between those 2 I vote for LT285/70r17 in Load C (nice middle ground) or SL (much comfy on-road).

When I looks at LT255/80r17 at Discount tire they were all Load E. I've used Load E in the past and uncomfortable ride for a lighter vehicle like 4Runner. And LT255/80r17 looks ugly for a newer style vehicle like a 4Runner.

15. May 5, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    Freedom

Freedom New Member

Member:
    It all depends on what you are looking for. I focus more on function. I've run E load 35's on a JK and didn't have any concerns. To many issues with wider 285's on a 4R that are not present with 255's and thus 265/70 or 255/80 are my choice. Yes, I wish the tires didn't weight soo much, but that is the trade off to have stronger tires.

16. May 15, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    Freedom

Freedom New Member

Member:
    I picked up my ORP last week and I noticed that the speedometer with the stock wheels indicating 50 mph, but my Waze app indicated 48 mph. I spoke with Discount Tire and the salesman said that his Toyota is also reading about 2 mph faster than his gps. Point being, maybe a 32.5 to 33" tire may be accurate on the speedometer?

POWERPLANTHOMER and Toy4X4 like this.
  17. May 15, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Yep, lot's of folks here have this experience. Slightly bigger tire gives you an accurate MPH (and presumably MPG readings that are more accurate, albeit a tad lower).

Toy4X4 likes this.
  18. May 16, 2021 at 4:00 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Ours shows a tick over 55mph and the GPS says 55mph, that is with 275-70-17 Coopers at 32.6 ins. tall.

POWERPLANTHOMER likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top