1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

23 Zero roof top tent and Gobi Stealth

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by semperriding, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Apr 21, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    semperriding

semperriding [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BigCountry
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Good Morning,
    I recently purchased my first Toyota (4 Runner[off road premium]) and I love it. I have also been watching a lot of youtube videos regarding off roading and camping.

-I really like the 23 Zero tent.
    -a Co-Worker really loves his Gobi roof rack.
    - I have a moon-roof and I use it alot so I want to get the right configuration.

Question, are these two products compatible?

I do not want to drill any holes in my vehicle if I can avoid it. I'm a motorcycle camping enthusiast. The options with the 4 Runner have me re-thinking "how to" motorcycle camp with a 4 Runner:) I just have to find a trailer too:)

Any and all comments/recommendations are welcomed. Thanks SR

Strandskov and WallyT4R like this.
  2. Apr 21, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner The Anti Pro, Pro! Staff Member

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    I’ve always wondered how a rack that’s designed as a basket works with a RTT. Never really got close enough to inspect to see how it was mounted. Gobi is a nice product but buyer beware, theirs production times and customer service are something that needs improvement. I ordered a Ladder in March 2018 and received it in November 2018. So, if you have plans to use it for camping this summer...you might be out of luck.

There are other options about there though. If you want something for summer I’d recommend a company that doesn’t have much production time. Front runner (full rack requires drilling), ARB (no drilling) and Prinsu are pretty quick turn around (ARB and Frontrunner are real quick).

Someone did a nice writeup about the Prinsu and SSO racks but I’m not sure if those require drilling or not.

I opted for the ARB touring rack (cost and availability) and mount a CVT tent to it along with the ARB awning and it’s worked out very well.

AAC17E7C-2DDD-4182-A3CB-90E72E7BA199.jpg E1B5B7A5-7B27-45E9-B79D-6BC3274B14F0.jpg 617C36A5-6F1B-4AFA-BA1C-BE99C47C2C97.jpg A939DD76-59F4-41DD-AD87-B9D53FED3D53.jpg

3. Apr 21, 2019 at 9:43 AM
    semperriding

Member:
    First Name:
    BigCountry
    Vehicle:
    Thanks the research begins:) I will start with ARB first. I a little green on the acronyms. RTT and CVT? I like the looks of yours. Is a wind blocker necessary? It looks like it's ok with a moon roof too. Ok, RTT is "roof top tent" duh!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Strandskov likes this.
  4. Apr 21, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:

Are you talking dirt/dual sport or street bike camping? With the dirt bike you can easily add a good quality motorcycle hitch carrier to the 4 and be fine with the only limited factor off road being the extra overhang off the back.

I have an old military M416 trailer that is down at my brothers fab shop. He is going to lengthen the tongue and add enough space to again mount a motorcycle carrier to it. I will be able to carry my dirt bike on the trailer and still be fairly able to go off road with this setup. But trailers pose some obstacles off road so it's not all rainbows and unicorns with the trailer either depending on the situation.

Something similar to this setup randomly pulled off the inter webs ...

[​IMG]

If you are talking street bike camping? I would have to take my 5'X10' utility trailer with me in order to carry my street bike. This would be a forest service only type setup for me at the most, and it would have to be a frequently used forest service road and one that was not chewed up. But would prefer with this setup to being at say just a paid for campground and paved streets.

Strandskov likes this.
  5. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    As far as the RTT (roof top tent), I am probably....maybe.. going to go big and cry once (a lot) and get a Eezi-awn Blade tent. At least that is the type of tent I would prefer over the traditional fold out type tent that others run like @4X4Runner 's CVT brand tent. But the blade is probably twice the money :frustrated: so this is a very hard decision given that I can't even view the thing before purchasing. I have already purchased a LFD off road aluminum full rack but have not received it yet. I don't have a sunroof.

Strandskov likes this.
  6. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    CVT is Cascadia Vehicle Tents (https://cascadiatents.com/) they are located in Bend Oregon and Chattanooga TN. They are very active on Tacomaworld and have great customer service. There are options like the ARB Simpson III, Tepiu, 23Zero, Smittybuilt, etc.

RTT stands for Roof Top Tent.

I opted for this tent. https://cascadiatents.com/shop/extended-veranda/

The wind blocker isn’t necessary (it’s really a rain fly) and can be removed.

7. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    Grilla36

Grilla36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019TRD Off Road
    I have a Cascadia Vehicle Tent(cvt) Mt Rainier 3 person tent that was mounted to a KBVooDoo rack on my Tacoma. Traded the Taco for 4Runner and awaiting an LFD Aluminum/full rack. I like the CVT just fine. It’s comfy with a 3” mattress and fits me, wife, and young daughter with plenty of space. It even has an annex room that came standard in case the teenager ever gets off her phone. The KBVooDoo functions fine, but powder coating sucked and I had to rattle can the thing. I’m looking forward to the LFD rack....I hope it does what it’s supposed to do.

8. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    A little thread derail but it seems appropriate given the general discussion...

This is such a great setup you have. What are your thoughts on the ARB awning? Is it big enough? Easy to setup by yourself? Anything you would change?, etc...

Also looking at this type of setup (see link) but again I have no experience with either and I don't know anyone who does. Have never even seen an ARB awning in person..thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Slumberjack-Roadhouse-Tarp-Shelter-Tan-One-Size/dp/B06Y3NDMLJ

Strandskov likes this.
  9. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    @WallyT4R I like it a lot and it was nice to have the cover during brief rain showers. I have the 2500 (8’ and change). The larger one def makes a difference and offers plenty of cover. ARB makes a slew of accessories for it too. It’s pretty easy to set up as well as install. I have it mounted to two of the ARB brackets and had to drill an extra hole in each to bolt it up to my rack (needed to match the holes in the rack).

Strandskov likes this.
  10. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
  11. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Ok good to know and again just love your setup..., it does look like it would be an easier setup than the plain tarp like in the link I posted. But it's a bit more money...always more money. :). There is a thread over on expedition portal about people saying you should have three brackets holding it up in case one breaks. I did a search and could not find any record of these things breaking. I know you use yours and off road so...What are your thoughts on that?

With the LFD rack I ordered, I also ordered two of their awning mount brackets in anticipation of possibly purchasing an awning, which they are necessary with their rack. Their rack sits more inward than others. I would probably have to purchase two more of their brackets since they are sold in pairs in order to get a third bracket and would have to do the same with the ARB brackets. Would rather not do that and save a little mula.

Strandskov likes this.
  12. Apr 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    semperriding

Member:
    First Name:
    BigCountry
    Vehicle:
    Wally T4,
    I have a 2006 Triumph Tiger. I an avid adventure motorcyclist. We travel in two ways:
    1. Travel to a known motorcycle camp; or make our own up in blue ridge/app mountain ranges. Set up camp and travel during the day-returning to the camp at night.
    2. We travel camp, break camp travel and keep moving. The first week in May were doing the Trans Amer Trail (TAT)

The trailer option only came up because on Friday, on the way to the bank, I was bored and took the 4 runner off the road, I went over three tree trunks, two dozen sets of moguls, went through a creek almost up to my window and still made it to the bank on time. I tell you this because I realized that I have an awesome situation. I can drive to a camp site and ride and 4 wheel on a weekend-best of both worlds. Hence the trailer idea.

I live near Camp Lejeune and I see 4 runners all over with racks and roof top tents. I had no idea that I entered into a different world when I bought my 4 runner. I am really excited.... sr

13. Apr 21, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Yeah that's great, have the 4 as a sort of base camp with the option to wheel it. Look forward to seeing where you take your setup.

Strandskov likes this.
  14. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    So...I’ve been contemplating the idea of a trailer. More so for the sense of leaving it behind while out exploring. I’d love to mount my tent to a tow behind trailer I set up at a camp somewhere while being able to leave and hit the trails and then come back to camp ready to go as I left it

WallyT4R and Strandskov like this.
  15. Apr 22, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    That is just a random internet photo. Not my bike, but yeah it's a good run about type dual sport.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Strandskov likes this.
  16. Apr 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:

That is what I had plans to do with mine, still do but I may be dead before it's done. The cost of them is high. I built mine out of a 1967 M416 I picked up for $600. It took over $2000 to restore it and get it road worthy and it doesn't even have a lid on it yet or the other mods to carry a motorcycle. Aftermarket pre-built trailers are even more money sometimes by a lot, that is why I tried to go cheaper by doing my own out of an old military trailer. It has been a lot of work trying to find parts and sources.

The main problem is I do not know how to weld or fabricate and it has been a great struggle to find those sources. Everyone is so busy and I finally gave up and sent mine a 1000 miles a way to my brothers fab shop. He has had it for months and I'm sure he has not done one thing to it...family. ;) He is simply too busy.

I think one of the cheapest ways to do it is to build a dinoot trailer. I learned about these after starting down the rabbit hole with my trailer.

https://dinoot.com

Strandskov likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top