1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

22rte or 3.0 V6

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by HeroClass, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    HeroClass

HeroClass [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, new here and looking at buying a 1st gen 4 runner. Found an 88 sr5 with the 3.0 V6. Will need lots of body work and was used as a mudder by the previous owner. Also found a 86 22rte, body in great shape but has transmission problems. What is your opinion/comparison of these 2?

Thanks!

2. Dec 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lots hate the 3.0L. The 22r/re/rte is no better. Both engines are plagued with the need to be rebuilt through its life. Most of the time head gaskets are the issue. I would go with which ever vehicle seems to have been taken care of better.

You will find far more info online about working on the 22 series engines. I believe that’s a big reason why many hate on the 3VZE. The 3VZE in my 88 pickup is great, much more power than the 22r that was in my older 84.

Over all a 30+\- year old vehicle is going to be needy whether it’s a 22r or 3VZE. Don’t expect to be getting a no attention needed vehicle.

Any more specific questions?

3. Dec 4, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    HeroClass

HeroClass [OP] New Member

Member:
    The info i'm getting from the seller of the 3VZE is the only thing mechanically wrong with it is the alternator. The 22rte, on the other hand is the transmission and would be more costly. I guess my biggest question is the power comparison between the 22re turbo and the 3VZE? Is it a big difference? I know it will be an ongoing project and that's what i'm looking for, but I don't want to get the smaller engine and be disappointed.

4. Dec 4, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    The best way to explain it is, neither are fast. Hahaha

#4runner and HeroClass[OP] like this.
To Top