1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 TRD Sport

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by siblue, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Jun 4, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Good points and I've understood where you're coming from in this discussion. But I'd put it differently.

To me, the 4WD system is the main distinguishing feature between 4Runner trim levels. The SR5, OR and Limited are the three main flavors on which all else is built. All other trim levels are comprised of a mishmash of suspension and miscellaneous convenience and cosmetic variations on top of one of those three basic choices.

Specifically, we have the:

1. Part-time 4WD system with electronic transfer case that's exemplified by the SR5.
    2. Part-time 4WD system with manual transfer case and locking rear dif that's exemplified by the OR.
    3. Full-time 4WD system with locking center dif that's exemplified by the Limited.

Toyota has made variations on the SR5 such as the newer Trail and recently announced Sport. These retain the SR5 4WD system but add a couple components from other trims. For example, the new Sport adds the XREAS suspension and wheels from the Limited. But it remains an SR5 at heart.

Toyota has made variations on the OR such as the Venture. This retains most elements of the OR including its 4WD system but adds a couple PRO-like visual cues such as a roof basket and TRD wheels. In reality the PRO is also just another variation on the OR, primarily adding a beefier suspension and cosmetic enhancements. As often noted, choosing the OR also allows consumers to get KDSS, making that a discreet option on the OR.

Toyota has made a variation on the Limited, called the Nightshade. It's just a Limited with blacked out chrome and wheels.

So, again, there are basically three kinds of 4Runners defined primarily by their 4WD systems. The multiple trim levels all spring from one of those three basic foundations. It's no coincidence that these three trims have been such constants in the 4Runner lineup while things like the Trail, Venture and Sport come and go. That the PRO has also been a constant is a quirk of marketing more than a reflection of the PRO being a distinct model. Clearly, it's ultimately just an OR with some enhancements.

In any case, it's not that helpful to try to categorize the basic kinds of 4Runner by suspension, because the SR5, Venture, Trail and OR all have the same one. Few 4Runner owners would agree that there's basically just the PRO and Limited -- and then everything else. But that's where you end up if you focus on the differences in suspension instead of 4WD system.

Just my 2cents.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  2. Jun 4, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    That's a good point, the transfer case seems like a good way to differentiate the core models.

I suppose I'm just interested to see how Toyota will raise their own bar for the 4Runner, as what they're doing now is just swapping parts back and forth to make "new" trims. Probably won't happen until the 5th gen sunsets and we get the 6th gen.

3. Jun 4, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Indeed. Here's hoping they don't screw it up. Too many examples of brands diminishing the classic models that helped make them great, gutting their souls for on-paper "improvements," things they think people want because the people don't actually understand what they want. BMW and the 3 Series comes to mind. Opinion surveys said people valued isolation from the road. So they got steering that might as well be a joystick on a video game controller. No "Ultimate Driving Machine" driver wants that. It's a FN abomination.

Fortunately there are also counter examples. The Mustang seems to have generally gotten better and better. Someone might think they looked better in 1966, but no one could seriously say that any of the older models drive better than today's Stangs. That the older engines or suspensions were better. That's been real continuous improvement.

Who knows, maybe Toyota can pull off the same thing with the 4R.

4. Jun 4, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    So it’s $37k?

5. Jun 5, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    OverRunner

OverRunner rebmeM weN

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP w/KDSS
    This looks cool. Unfortunately, it’s mostly hypothetical; done by one of the youtubers (maybe TRD Jon?). There is a video floating around somewhere detailing the potential that the next gen could have. I enjoyed the video, but the data he shares he admits is his own speculation.

6. Jun 9, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    I see it as much simpler- there are two products lines. One is your off roading models at the top is the pro then the off road

The other product line is your street models the limited at the top and then the sr5.

Simple

7. Jun 9, 2021 at 1:43 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    A tad simplistic maybe, but also logical. Or rather, it would be logical -- but for the fact it's not true.

Few SR5 owners on this forum would agree with you that their machines aren't meant for off roading. Even the Limited, the most street-oriented of all 4Runners, has:

1. 4WD
    2. A locking differential
    3. A low-range gear
    4. Additional systems for redistributing torque when one wheel is in the air
    5. Body on frame construction
    6. More than 9 inches of ground clearance
    7. Bash plates

That's not a "street" machine. In any brand, the above are features that define off road capability.

Sure, there are a lot of people like me for whom the 4Runner's off road ability was just icing on the cake, not the main reason for buying it. After all, you yourself went all out and bought a PRO, but seem to use it primarily in conditions where any run-of-the mill AWD crossover (or, frankly, a Corolla with good tires) would also work. But that doesn't mean you got a "street" machine. You just mostly use it that way.

8. Jun 9, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Haha I have enjoyed the 4 low and locking rear diff a few times. Got me out of a few "sticky" situations.

The Limited reminds me of my wife's acura mdx a good all wheel drive grocery getter for Florida's wet weather. They put nice 20" street tires on those babies! Gotta love the sweet chrome on those Limiteds also, made for offroading

Sr5 comes with some nice quiet street tires as well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  9. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:51 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    It's a shame Toyota nickel-and-dimed the Pro from having a KDSS option though huh.

Singleminded likes this.
  10. Aug 12, 2021 at 10:32 PM
    Dick_Hammerbusch

Dick_Hammerbusch New Member

Member:
    We are Championship
    Vehicle:
    21 Pho Runnah Nighshade
    None
    My reaction when I see the soccer mom roll up next to my '21 Nightshade in that monstrosity shirt.jpg

11. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Why? It's the same truck :facepalm:

12. Aug 13, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Nightshade is the soccer mom model

13. Aug 13, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    With a name like yours I’d assume you’d be asking for her number.

14. Aug 13, 2021 at 2:05 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter New Member

Member:
    Floppy mudflaps were a ting on the 4R? I need to find some of those...

Also, all these trim models, limiting the paint options per trim, and ... no F#$%^&* memory seats? No memory seats? My 2006 300C had memory seats.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  15. Aug 13, 2021 at 4:43 PM
    Dick_Hammerbusch

Member:
    We are Championship
    Vehicle:
    21 Pho Runnah Nighshade
    None
    I like turtles...and soccer moms

ruiz4251 and LandCruiser like this.
  16. Aug 13, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    Dick_Hammerbusch

Member:
    We are Championship
    Vehicle:
    21 Pho Runnah Nighshade
    None
    Oh yeah? Well yo' momma is so fat that, oh, wait, nevermind...it's 2021. I got no good comeback. A winner is you

Daytonaviolet likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top