1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 TRD Pro Headlight Dark Spot on Low Beams

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by ZRunner74, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Dec 19, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    It’ll be hard to “make it right” if that’s simply how all these headlights function. It is what it is. 3rd gen Tacoma halogens sucked compared to the 2nd gen reflectors. That’s just how it goes sometimes (odd as it might seem).

2. Dec 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    jwslady

jwslady New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2021 4 runner
    none
    Very true. but the mgr. is supposed to be ordering me a different type of bulb to see if that helps. If not, I will have to tuck my tail between my legs, kick myself & trade it right in & get something besides a Toyota because I just can not deal with that distraction. It makes me feel like I am trying to run something down that I can never catch up with...LOL

3. Dec 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM
    cug

cug New Member

Member:
    That would be interesting. If the TRD Pro LED headlight is as nearly all other OEM unit, the LED part is sealed and non-serviceable. These units are all showing the same light pattern and as I said, it's either by design or lack thereof. But it's not that your particularly unit is faulty, they are all the same. So, expect a "they all do that" response and it's not the fault of the dealership. If they can really exchange a "bulb" in there, I'd be very surprised.

4. Dec 19, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    jwslady

jwslady New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2021 4 runner
    none
    Well cug, Thanks for the input. I don't actually know what is going to happen but like I said, I have a Ram that doesn't have that flaw & the lights work like a champ. I have ALWAYS been a Toyota vehicle owner up to my Ram. my entire family is but if this is not something that can be fixed, I will have no other choice but to switch it out to another make which is not what I would really like to do. It just drives me nuts. Thanks again for everyone's input.

5. Dec 19, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    cug

cug New Member

Member:
    With all due respect, if that one spot makes you switch vehicles, you have other problems that might be worth addressing. I'm anal and have an OCD streak in me, but even I can live with the rather bad LED headlights (compared to my other car, which is "light"years ahead, even though it's older).

Armena likes this.
  6. Dec 19, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    jwslady

jwslady New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2021 4 runner
    none
    Well, with all due respect you don't jack about me other than what I have addressed on this sight and the last time I checked, your name wasn't GOD so you really have no place passing opinions about anything other than the current topic. But you know what they say "opinions are like A-holes, and everyone's got one" Don't get m wrong, I got on this forum to gain some insight from this issue but I wasn't seeking a self diagnosis of what you "think" my problem is. But hey, to each his own...

7. Dec 19, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    cug

cug New Member

Member:
    Fair point. Although you given plenty of opportunity to build an opinion. And I can build opinions on whatever pleases me.

The insight you're after is: they all do this. Sell it before your head explodes.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    4runnerTRDoffroad likes this.
  8. Dec 19, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    DJPSC

DJPSC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Super White KDSS
    XP Package, KDSS, TRD Wheels, Pro Grille
    Appreciate the conversations as I was at first scratching my head! Had mine 3 weeks and just hit 1000 miles today! I’m definitely getting used to the dark spots....and truly appreciate all the commentary on this subject!

905060D8-DF34-4B4A-ADC9-7D4938D1E249.jpg

Catchacold likes this.
  9. Dec 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    cug

cug New Member

Member:
    One thing I noticed that helped a bit: make sure your headlights are adjusted properly in height. Mine were all the way down when we got the car from the dealership. After I adjusted them properly, "the spot" is less noticeable and the low beam gives a fairly good road illumination. They are still not really good compared to other LED systems, but if adjusted properly, the low beam falls in the "decent" category of what I've seen. The high beam is garbage though. My motorcycle is significantly better and it's still worse than my other car. The low beams are closer together, but since the 4Runner doesn't have automatic leveling, you have to adjust for weight, and it's a pain in the ass, since it has to be done with a screwdriver on the actual unit. Feels like the 80s again ...

10. Dec 22, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    As others have said, this blank spot is a deliberate feature of the headlight design so if properly adjusted it will not blind oncoming traffic. It may be a lame attempt and annoying to some but that’s what we’ll get from Toyota LEDs until adaptive headlights are approved for use in this country.

jwslady likes this.
  11. Dec 22, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    Geene519

Geene519 New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD ORP
    Yup, I have the same thing on mine. Noticed it right away when I drove it at night. Thought it was an issue, but after seeing this thread I get what they tried to do. Just annoying, lol.

Catchacold and jwslady like this.
  12. Dec 22, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    4R_Joe

4R_Joe New Member

Member:
    Trail Running boards, TRD Pro All weather mats, tint
    2021 Off Road Prem here and same issue with the dark spot. My spot shows up on the lower bumper of the car ahead of me. It is kinda annoying as I tend catch attention to it as well.

I assume it’s the thingy (what ever it’s called) that partially covers the bulb to prevent the light from being too bright, hence not blinding any other drivers. I’ve already been flashed the other night and I just got this rig with the factory LEDs. My previous 2012 with after market LEDs were super bright and I had to adjust the angle down slightly as I was getting flashed too much. A man’s gotta see, right? Lol

jwslady likes this.
  13. Dec 23, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    lrizzo

lrizzo New Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    Wow if that little spot on the headlight bothers you wait until the front end parts on that RAM starts falling apart at <30k miles. LOL!

nickjo and DallasTRDPro like this.
  14. Dec 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM
    wfxt

wfxt Still figuring it out

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayleigh
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM 4R TRD Pro
    I’ve gotten about one oncoming hi-beam flasher with my low beams and fogs on per night since I’ve owned them. But there is definitely a cant to the beams so as not to blind oncoming traffic. It just may hit higher at times according to the camber and slope of the road too. This makes sense as a design, since tons of other oncoming trucks seem to be driving with their high beams on but may not in fact be doing so!

15. Dec 28, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver SR5 4x4
    Funny how people were complaining about the halogen 4 runner headlights,now they are complaining about the new improved LED headlights too? LMFAO

Moon Landing likes this.
  16. Dec 28, 2020 at 10:59 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    So many people drive with their fogs on in all weather. Fog lights are actually meant for use for low speed driving in fog, dust, maybe some snow storm conditions where you’re just trying to find the edge of the road. Not as a general driving light. Since they are so low to the ground they do reflect off wet roads or shiny road surfaces and create annoying glare for oncoming traffic even in dry weather. Not all fog lights do this but a lot do, and it pisses off oncoming drivers. That may be what you’re experiencing.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

17. Dec 28, 2020 at 11:10 PM
    Fiatdave

Fiatdave New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD OR
    I still get on coming traffic flashing their lights at me thinking I have my brights on! I have noticed the spot on my 21 TRD ORP.
    Don't care, traded my 17 tacoma for the 4runner and I love this 4runner!

Cheers!

18. Feb 23, 2021 at 11:34 PM
    DCM510

DCM510 Picture me rollin’

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Lorenzo
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD PRO 21
    Any updates on this? I noticed the unevenness of the lights on mine when I drove it home from the dealership. But this thread explained it. At any rate has anyone taken it back to the dealer? Any updates on this conversation since December?

Catchacold likes this.
  19. Feb 24, 2021 at 12:04 AM
    ZRunner74

ZRunner74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 sw TRD Pro
    From everything I’ve seen it’s by design. I no longer even notice it.

DCM510[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 24, 2021 at 12:21 AM
    DCM510

DCM510 Picture me rollin’

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Lorenzo
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD PRO 21
    No doubt. I barely notice it myself by now.

ZRunner74[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  21. Apr 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    knarmooickny

knarmooickny New Member

Member:
    I also have a new 2021 4Runner limited and that same annoying spot in my line of vision - it is very distracting. Matter of fact these are a brand new set of headlights from the originals (they were all chipped so the dealer replaced them) and it has the same annoying spot on the driver's side. I really do not like the headlights. This is my 5th 4Runner I've owned and I can say that spot in your line of vision really needs to be corrected - at times I've thought it was something in the road and slammed on my breaks. The new Highlander limited has LED lights and don't have that spot/shadow in the beam of light so why the 4Runners?

22. Apr 9, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    ShakyDog

ShakyDog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2021 4R TRD ORP Nautical Blue
    I would say if the void (that I do not notice) bothers you that much, maybe see if the after-market head lights would work better for you. Cheaper than the hit you will take on trade-in.

Steve

23. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Well I guess I will just stick with my upgraded halogens and add some Diode Dynamics fogs. I realize I have OCD about stuff and thats why I returned the Alpharex LED's. Spending $1K+ to upgrade is a bad idea for my OCD and I could spend that money on DD fogs and lightbar for less money.

LuLu likes this.
  24. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    I’m quite OCD, but the improvement over the previous halogen or any reasonably priced after-market solution is so vast, that the top left cut off doesn’t really bother me. If anything, I don’t particularly care for the limited/pro trim integrated bi-low/high beam, which merely removes the light cutoff at the top. I would prefer an entire secondary beam of light as the high to double the light output. But I’m okay with even this due to the aforementioned vast improvement in the led low beam.

Singleminded likes this.
  25. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    DC_7222

DC_7222 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    I just want to jump in and say- No way are the little dark spots there by design to reduce glare. I mean I can see exactly where they land on the road ahead of me... Only a tiny fraction of light output is affected. Is it only supposed to work when the incoming driver's face lands in the one little spot affected? Lol. Seems absurd.

Maybe it's just as simple as an LED headlight design that's not exactly top tier engineering?

Catchacold and fasteddy like this.
  26. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    I think there are two separate issues that are being conflated in this thread:

1. top left corner light cutoff that is DOT standard to reduce glare to oncoming traffic. This seems to be what most people on this thread are referring to.

2. one tiny little square in the middle of each side’s light beam pattern (I reiterate tiny). It’s not something that you can really see while driving on any real-world surface that isn’t a completely uniform such as a garage door.

If a bit bothered by the former, I can understand. If very bothered by the second, I dunno how you can be helped. And this is coming from an very OCD person like I am.

Catchacold likes this.
  27. Apr 9, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    ShakyDog

ShakyDog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2021 4R TRD ORP Nautical Blue
    I see number 2 when I pull into the garage it is like there is a sticker or decal on the reflector that causes a shadow. I don't noticed it unless it is on the wall in the garage.
    Steve

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  28. Apr 9, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    DC_7222

DC_7222 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    W
    Well hell, here I am thinking it's the two tiny spots everyone is talking about! I can definitely see both cast on the road ahead, they don't bother me, but they're there. I've never noticed the other "spot" in the upper left that your referring too, though. Either way, no one has ever brighted me at night over the headlights, so :).

29. Apr 9, 2021 at 4:11 PM
    SYTY

SYTY New Member

Member:
    THE ARM PIT OF AMERICA NY STATE THE ROTTEN APPLE
    My 21 TRD Off Road is exactly the same i just raised the left a little higher but it still has the same dark spot but a little more even across. Drives me crazy that it's not the same as the other side, i have checked as many 4runners as i could before i did the adjustment & all were the same.

30. May 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    BigPuffer935

BigPuffer935 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner trail edition
    These are by far the worst headlights I have ever had on a vehicle. The dark shadows are directly in the middle of your view and while turning they move across the street, this is really distracting and a safety issue in my opinion. I am surprised Toyota would allow something so unsafe especially when you consider their history with the gas petals and floor mats

fasteddy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top