1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 Shake

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by cereb6, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Aug 8, 2021 at 3:18 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    Chris,

With all due respect.

"I hate it." " The steering is sloppy and the engine is weak". "My wife's pilot accelerates faster." "I am not sure what the 4runner hype is all about". "The acceleration is horrible". "I didn't pay 43k for that crap." "I will be getting rid of this vehicle as soon as I can I assure you." "Nah. I should have stuck with a truck." "I thought this was a free country where I could say what I wanted to say when I wanted to say it."

Well, sure you can say all the above. Hence, you are the one that is coming here asking for help, I'm open for debate, as long the context is appropriate to the case at matter. Just some advice, if you are asking for help stick to the problem, all the rest is unnecessary. That's why most members had a negative reaction. If you're in need, approach is everything.

Granted, I understand your frustration. Yes, you can go to another dealership and tell them that you are not pleased with the dealership you purchased your 4R, and if I was you, I would politely ask them for help, because your desperate and would like to see your issue resolved, ask for the service manager, tell them if they can help you, they will earn your business.

Realize, you need them, they don't need you. In case you are going to sell the 4R, I wouldn't bother. Just my 2C.

Pawelift, Gatnos, NightRunner and 4 others like this.
  2. Aug 8, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequence, this is a misunderstood form of entitlement. Please, do not fail to understand my meaning, I'm not attacking you. I'm just a goofy philospher. Ignore me most of the time.
    You freaking bet you do. The dealership doesn't own your service. The responsibility of the warranty is on Toyota themselves.

----On the topic of Philosophy, here's my thoughts---
    We might not all choose the problems we face but we are responsible for how we react. You will have issues with any vehicle, even something as legendary as a Toyota 4Runner. It's not perfect. Ask yourself a serious question (do not reply with this because you don't need our opinions, you need yours). Is this the problem you're unwilling to solve, the trade off you're unwilling to make. Is it really the wheel vibration or is that a symptom of a larger unhappiness with the vehicle?

Only you know, but we often find ways to cope or justify and strangely, we'll even lie to ourselves. Imagine what you wanted to do and how you felt when you bought the 4Runner? Do you do those things? Did you expect the vehicle to prompt you to do those things and you just find ways to not do them? Not enough time, kids, money, etc? Who knows, it seems like something deeper is in play here.

However, feel is incredibly important. You only interact with the vehicle in so many ways and a vibrating steering wheel is the main one. It's reasonable to be upset. The solution to that issue is like wheels or tires, but if you solved it, would it be something else? We have an unending amount of problems that present themselves in our lives, and we only have time for so many.

So which problems do you want to solve?
    ----End Philosophic banter----

3. Aug 8, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

Well said!

Roland, 7385 and LandCruiser like this.
  4. Aug 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    You're supposed to be ignoring my rants, not encouraging me.

5. Aug 8, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    :rofl:

Roland, 7385 and LandCruiser like this.
  6. Aug 8, 2021 at 6:54 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Install a Pedal Commander or any of the competitors. Makes a huge difference.

cereb6[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  7. Aug 9, 2021 at 5:42 AM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    No better time than the present.

Roland, 7385, kmeeg and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    JerryC

JerryC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Has anybody done any basic checks like tire pressure, lug torque, wheel runout, ball joint play, alignment, etc.

I get a little PO'd by the "could not duplicate" in the test drive. Most mechanics I know drive junkers, and have hearing loss from air tool use. Everything rides great to them and they couldn't hear a squeak or rattle if their life depended on it.

So I come back with, did you check anything or just drive it?

olliechristoper and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    MattO2786

MattO2786 New Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    Former 18 OR and 18 Limited Owner
    I imagine it’s a big change to go from the RAM to a T4R. No SUV/truck really compares, power wise, to the RAM Hemi, except maybe a Raptor. If you can find a V8 Raptor with low mileage, that might give you what you’re looking for. Not as reliable as the T4R, but more than any Chrysler product.

cereb6[OP] likes this.
  10. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    With my experience mechanics at the dealership more likely to pretend that they don't hear or feel when it comes to accident repair. That resulted me complaining to ToyotaUSA and getting my self a brand new 4Runner..:D

I did checked the wheel balance and alignment at a local tire shop because on TRD Pro wheels and Tires are installed at local port (as far as I know) vs other standard trims like SR5, TRD ORP, Limited comes directly from Japan.

11. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I really wish OP go with that option after seeing his attitude / use of words on this forum.

12. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    "I LOVE" my truck and it is proving it's worth on the trail with no issues on being fragile. :burnrubber:

Jerry, this is he best advice of the whole thread!! I would recommend getting the wheels balanced and check alignment first thing at the dealer and on their dime. Also it up on a lift and check suspension components for defects. If you knew how these are transported you would have a whole new outlook on purchasing a new vehicle.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    Cajunhunter67

Cajunhunter67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium 2wd
    I purchased a new (8 miles) 2021 SR5 Premium for my wife. She is coming out of a Ford Taurus Limited. She is also used of driving my F150 Eco. She absolutely loves her T4R. Not a single complaint. Well one, she wishes the pedals adjusted like the Taurus (She is only 4'11").

For me, it has excess body lean in turns, kick back in the steering from hitting bumps, and has zero low end torque. BUT, the 4 Runner is for my wife. Yes, an Explorer would have better handling, but as she put it, you cant lift it and put mud tires on it to take it in the woods!! Thats a fact!

I plan on doing whatever she wants to her sexy 4 Runner. I have had input from many on here on how to help the body roll and nose dive. The rest is up to my wife.

Yes the 4 Runner is simplistic, but thats what gives it's charm and reliability.

Don

14. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Now is the perfect time for that to happen with the way used vehicles are being bought up by Carmax and Carvana. I'm not sure what the OP would replace it with, but he'd probably come out ahead by selling it now.

Roland, 7385, kmeeg[QUOTED] and 3 others like this.
  15. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    cereb6: Wow - out of 44 comments only comment #36 offered an easy solution to your performance issue - the Pedal Commander. It's a $300 fix that works. It claims not to add additional horsepower but re-configs your electric throttle response, and in no small way! When I bought my 2019 Off Road I also was disappointed in its performance so after reading so many positive reviews of the product, I forked out the $300 and installed the Pedal Commander (all of 5 minutes installation time) - what a huge difference in low end performance, you will be amazed at the difference and likely develop a different view of your new vehicle.

16. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Ahem.. :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  17. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Others were offering help with his complaint about steering wheel vibration. I'd say more than 1 or 2 comments were helpful. Also, those are symptoms of a larger problem that might not have answers in the technical/mechanical field. However, if you're a hammer all you see are nails.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  18. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    TrailGuy2016

TrailGuy2016 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium, Silver
    Raptor lights, TRD front grille, RCI Metalworks skid plates
    There is a known issue between 40-60mph on these with a shimmy. It is odd for sure, but it comes and goes. I have perfectly balanced wheels and tires currently, and it still does it once in awhile.

19. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    As others have said, wheel imbalance and shake is a common problem in some 5th Gens. There are dozens of threads here and in the T4R forum discussing it. Don’t give up on this. You need to find a tire shop that has the proper equipment and takes pride in doing a good job.
    Good luck, let us know the results.

20. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    Gatnos

Gatnos Not Very Knowledgable

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD Off Road Premium - Magnetic Gray
    Wow, what a thread :popcorn:

Definitely not what I was expecting when I clicked on the mysterious "2021 Shake" title. Good points were made on both sides. Just some quick comments:

What is BOF? Just haven't heard it before.

This is a FANTASTIC way of putting that idea.

For the OP: I recommend trying what others have recommended before just selling the vehicle. It's really great, but it does take some getting used to. Throttle response controllers do a lot for the power and the overall feel of the acceleration. If it doesn't work out, you can always take the thing out and sell it on the forum for almost no loss, and then make a profit anyway on your 4Runner. Best of luck, I hope you find yourself driving something you love.

cereb6[OP] likes this.
  21. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    I don't see it mentioned that all tires have "defects" (imperfections) that cause road force variation. "Road force balance" can sometimes offset the tire "high point" (really the stiffest spot) by aligning it with the lowest point on the wheel but if the tire imperfections are big enough the road force balance just helps but may not eliminate a vibration (and if wheels were perfectly round then road force balance would do nothing). From working in the industry I'd say that "bad tires" are not that uncommon. And if the 4Runner is sensitive to tire defects (I don't know if it is) then just having two front tires near the specification limit for road force could cause steering wheel vibration...especially when the forces line up on the front wheels (the phasing changes whenever you go around a corner). So if you have steering wheel vibration the first thing you need is a competent/honest mechanic that can actually perform a road force balance and if you still have vibration you need to complain like hell since someone is trying to get you to accept marginal quality tires. My 2016 SR5 has 45,000 miles and has always been clean for vibration on both the crummy original Dunlops and now on Michelin Defenders.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_force_variation

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    cereb6[OP] and ElectroBoy like this.
  22. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Body on frame. As opposed to unibody, which usually rides better on the highway.

interceptor and Gatnos[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Aug 9, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    Gatnos

Gatnos Not Very Knowledgable

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD Off Road Premium - Magnetic Gray
    Makes sense, thank you

24. Aug 9, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    cereb6

cereb6 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium.
    None.

They say they've checked all of that but I don't see how given the time they had the vehicle. I think they just drive it on their test drive route and say they couldn't duplicate it. I plan on going tomorrow after work and asking them to check the alignment and re-balance the tires.

25. Aug 10, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    cereb6

cereb6 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    None.
    Took it back to dealer yesterday and made them check the alignment. It was jacked up on the left front. They did a front end alignment and wouldn't you know that the steering wheel stopped shaking when I make a curve. It is like a different vehicle. I also ordered a pedal commander for it yesterday so I am looking forward to installing it in a few days.

Just curious, if I was to put bilstein 5100 series leveling shocks on the front in the near future, would I even have to lift the rear to get it level? I want about 2 inches more height all around. Spacers or Springs in the rear if I need it to level it with the shocks.

26. Aug 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    If you want to level it it would be 1in front compared to rear.

Common leveling options are 2.5-3inches front and 2inches back.

I do love spacer lifts like ReadyLift use with stock suspension. Some Toyota dealerships use ReadyLift as leveling kit. Might be a peace of mind thing for you if your Toyota Dealership install it and give warranty.

Bilstein 5100 series are good basic lift option that allow you to use stock springs. I have them on my Limited. Comfort is good vs OME Nitro shocks. But if you want best comfort (as per my 4x4 shop) look at suspension like ELKA 2.5 Dual Control. I got them on my TRD Offroad and was surprised how they absorb bumps on trails. They are so much better that Fox suspension on my TRD Pro.

I bet ELKA 2.5 ride same as after market Fox 2.5DCS. According to my 4x4 shop Kings are not comfy as those when it comes to slow speeds, they are good at high speeds (since Kings only have 1 adjuster). I don't know, as per the 4x4 shop.

High-end suspension puts you in more complicated spot as you would need Diff drop kit, Upper control arms and extended brake lines. It was recommended when I got ELKAs for mine. Vs Bilstein 5100 on my Limited I use stock UCA and no diff-drop kit.

Hope that helps for you to start your search and probably start a new thread if needed.

27. Aug 10, 2021 at 3:17 PM
    Leeland111

Leeland111 New Member

Member:

I came from 2019 Silverado Trail Boss to get back into a 4Runner. I had a 2015 Trail Edition in 2015 and now a 2021 Venture. After test driving the new 4Runner and then hoping back into the Trail Boss, I was second guessing my desire to make the swap. I knew I was getting into a quality vehicle that fits my lifestyle better than a pickup truck, but talk about down on power and missing some basic "current day" features (i.e. BSM and front and rear parking sensors), but I did the deal. The $10,000 more than I paid in 2019 trade in value for the Trail Boss helped and I don't regret it. I do have a little steering shake or shimmy, but it seems to mostly occur when the tires are cold. I'm not sweating it. Once I figure out suspension and tire mods, if it's still there I'll deal with it.

Anyway, do what's best for you and good luck.

ETA- My wife's 2020 Equinox with a 2.0 Turbo is soooooooo much quicker than my 4Runner.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    cereb6[OP] likes this.
  28. Aug 10, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    The Bilstein's 5100 are decent. I didn't like the wobbly feeling & nose dive, for me I didn't have enough clearance to go Off-Road (rock-crawling). so if you like more articulate driving, more height, better breaking, no wobbling and a little bit rake better options are available than the 5100. They are more expensive, hence, the 4R is like a different rig. You can see my suspension mods down below in my signature. My stuff comes from exitoffroad.com and is highly regarded here on the Forum.

Good to hear that the Dealership finely did the right thing.

29. Aug 10, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    cereb6

cereb6 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    None.

So the 5100's and a spacer in the rear wouldn't get rid of body roll and nose diving when braking?

30. Aug 10, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I would not recommend spacers; a lot depends what you are going to do with your 4R. Are you going to take it off-road ( which type of terrain?) If just for looks not much is required. Let us know the intended use.

interceptor likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top