1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 OEM LED headlight performance?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 4runningMan, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Nov 14, 2022 at 1:45 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    That looks like your hood is coming in contact with that plastic radiator cover. When you slam the hood it smashes down on the headlight tops, which hit the headlights, and cracked the plastic.

If you put a heavy piece of paper over a rubber hood bumper and close the hood gently you can pull on it outward to check if there’s any contact. You probably have little or no contact between hood and bumper right now.

Rotate each bumper, counterclockwise I believe, to raise it up. Then test with the paper method for enough contact. Adjust accordingly.

2. Nov 14, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    SHG4runner

SHG4runner New Member

Member:
    I had that same question about the bumpers. The 2 in the center touch the hood and the 2 outer ones that rotate were tightened all the way down, so there is zero contact with the hood. I took this to a Toyota dealer to question if it could lead to the hood cracking the lights and they told me no, absolutely not and that they are only used “if the hood rattles or is uneven”. I received the vehicle this way and have made no changes to it. It only has 34000 miles on it and I don’t even know where to start with fixing it if the dealership won’t help identify the cause. I was hoping the lights would be fixed under warranty and they say because it is cracked that it is not covered under warranty. Thank you for your post and explanation.

3. Nov 14, 2022 at 3:46 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    The dealer is giving you the runaround. Because each new headlight is about $700. Those rotating bumpers definitely prevent the hood from coming down too far on the plastic cover/headlights.

I presume you recently bought this 4Runner used and just noticed the cracks. You should keep raising hell so they accept responsibility and fix it, the dealer didn’t set this up properly. (This is one reason to not violently slam the hood as so many people do.)

4. Dec 30, 2022 at 2:42 PM
    thomasb1

thomasb1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Grey TRD OP
    TRD Grille, Blackout Emblems ,Catskinz Leather Seats, Remote Start, Sprint Booster, LED Everything, Rock Sliders, 2" spacer lift (Suspension soon)
    Just bought a pair, and decided to go with the GTR Carbide instead. Will see how they perform. If anyone wants to buy the 2021 LEDS you can install them in the earlier models. DM for price

5. Dec 31, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    I'd recommend returning them and getting your money back. The AlphaRex and GTR headlight assemblies both perform terribly in this shootout by Lightwerks. They are both dimmer than the factory units by a LOT, and the beam distribution is awful (the hotspot is way lower than the cutoff). I'd call them desperately unsafe and unusable. The Morimotos are about 20% more intense than factory units but I'd rather not deal with removing the headlights several times for warranty issues (many people report random LEDs burning out on the DRL strips).

Singleminded likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top