1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021/2022 Limited Full Time 4WD. Why is there a dial to select different 4wd options?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by jdixon1974, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Aug 17, 2021 at 3:34 PM
    jdixon1974

jdixon1974 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subaru Outback (x2)
    Hi everyone,

I don't own a 4runner yet but my wife and I test drove a 2021 4Runner Limited at the dealer last week and really like it. There are no 2021's to sell us so we will have to wait for a 2022 which is fine.

However, I'm a bit confused about the Full Time 4WD system.

We live in Canada with lots of snow/ice for 7 months of the year. We currently drive a Subaru Outback AWD and it works great with winter tires. We simply put the car is "Drive" and off we go. We don't need to hit any buttons or dials. We don't do any offroading at all. This vehicle will strictly be used on the pavement as a daily vehicle.

When we test drove the 2021 Limited which comes with Full Time 4WD, we noticed there was a dial just ahead of the gear shifter for various 4WD options.

I was under the impression that the Limited Full Time 4WD model would be like our Subaru where we would simply leave it in "Drive" and drive around all the time.

The sales rep we had seemed to be quite inexperienced and she was suggesting that on days with lots of snow, we would have to start manipulating that little dial to various 4WD configurations and, if we were in a parking lot and needed to make a tight turn, we had to turn the dial. On the highway.......turn the dial to something else etc.

Is this the case with the Limited models or is this vehicle simply a "set and forget" and just keep it in "Drive" for the type of driving we are doing? I don't really love the idea of having to remember to turn knobs on and off when we go from driving on the street full of snow to pulling into a tight parking lot etc. I understand this is desirable for people that are using a 4Runner to it's full limitations for offroading but I'm just trying to make a 4runner work as my wife's first choice is to get an AWD Toyota Minivan.

Thanks
    james

2. Aug 17, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    The 4wd Runner Limited is normally in AWD/full time 4wd (like a Subaru). 4HL is 4wd like a traditional 4wd and 4LL is low range 4wd.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Toffees and LandCruiser like this.
  3. Aug 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    jdixon1974

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subaru Outback (x2)
    Thanks for the reply. So for year round, driving on snowy roads at residential, highway and parking lot speeds (with tight turns) I can simply leave it in AWD and be fine? I wouldn't even need to touch the 4HL and 4LL at all?

James

4. Aug 17, 2021 at 3:42 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Pretty much unless you encounter deep snow and need 4wd traction.

The difference is AWD mode has a center diff so the front and rear axles can spin at different speeds. 4wd or 4HL will lock the center diff to split power 50/50 which is traditional 4wd and doesn't allow the front a rear axles to turn at different speeds which is an issue when turning. Low range is simply low range gearing in 4wd.

suaveflooder and Trd361 like this.
  5. Aug 17, 2021 at 4:21 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights

Hi James. I have a 2020 Limited and the main thing to know is that you'll probably never run into conditions requiring you to use that dial.

As has been noted, the Limited is the only 4Runner that has four wheel drive active at all times, with no driver intervention needed. Unlike the other models, this system has a differential that allows full-time four wheel drive without any risk of binding the drivetrain when turning on dry surfaces. So in practice it will work very much like your Subaru.

You'd only use the dial if you're in some serious soup. One way to understand the dial choices is as follows: 4HF means 4 wheel drive / High speeds / with center differential in "Free" mode. Here, "high speeds" just means normal speeds. "Free" means that torque is being distributed freely between the front and rear axles, just as it is on your Subaru. So this is the main setting and you may never really need any of the other settings.

In 4HL, the "L" means the center differential is Locked instead of Free. That means the transmission is locked into sending 50% of it's torque to the rear axle and 50% to the front axle. This ability to lock the differential is also part of what differentiates this kind of 4WD system from those in regular AWD crossovers, and why it's generally considered superior. (And also why it's generally called "4WD" instead of "AWD"). But this is also the condition in which you'd have binding if turning on dry surfaces. So you'd usually only use it in serious situations, such as if you're having trouble getting through deep snow.

In L4L, the first "L" is for Low gear, while the second "L" is again for Locking the center differential. This low-gear setting is used to greatly multiple the engine torque going to the wheels, such as you might need in gnarly off road conditions. For example, if you need to clamber over obstacles when going up a steep rocky trail.

Note too that this truck also comes with an ATRAC button. This is a system to distribute torque between wheels on the same axle. This is something you'd also typically only use in gnarly and low speed situations. But it could come in handy if you're stuck in snow with a wheel or two spinning on one side of the truck.

The only other thing I can think to note is that if you do get the Limited (and I highly recommend it if you can live with the gas mileage!) you should actually drive the truck once in a great while in both 4HL and L4L, just to exercise the system, since those choices activate mechanicals that won't be employed otherwise and could get sticky from lack of use.

Valtor, CR_Sig1970, Cobra715 and 19 others like this.
  6. Aug 17, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    I had a Sequoia Limited with four wheel drive active at all times, I really liked it, drove it in deep snow, sludge, gravel, and moderate trails. This is the one feature, I regret not having on my 4R Off-Road premium. If I would live in an area snowing a lot, I would purchase a Limited for sure.

7. Aug 17, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    This is one of the reasons I'm glad I got the Limited instead of the ORP I was first looking at. I drive in snow way more often than I drive off road. The off road ability is mostly just icing for me.

Roland[QUOTED] and interceptor like this.
  8. Aug 17, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    It's truly a wonderful system, most people don't know how capable it is. Excellent, and safer in the rain as well.

9. Aug 17, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Limited sounds good to me. I just don't like the extra "bling".

10. Aug 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    Ya rly. If that TRD Sport trim came with the limited's AWD, I might have to consider switching to it. I don't regret my traditional 4WD 4Runner, but I wish they offered the AWD in a more conventional trim.

Since TRD Sport has traditional 4WD, it's pretty pointless in my view.

Slopemaster[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 17, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    jdixon1974

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subaru Outback (x2)
    Thanks for all of the replies. It's very helpful and I now have a much better understanding of how everything works.

I also wish that the Limited wasn't so "blingy" but it seems to be the only model with the full time 4WD and the 3rd row seats which we want.

I don't like the big wheels and leather interior of the Limited. It would be great if I could get the full time 4WD, vinyl seats and 3rd row on one of the models with the smaller wheels and less options.

We will have to wait for the 2022 models to come along as there are no 2021's available in my city. If it looks like the 2023 models might have a lower model with AWD then I would even wait for 2023, but the rumor is the 2023 model could be a completely new model and I wouldn't want that.

Thanks
    James

DRobs and Singleminded like this.
  12. Aug 17, 2021 at 11:32 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Yeah, hopefully they won't turn the 4Runner into a Ford Exploder.

Company I worked for had an Explorer, what a POS!

Stranded employees twice on the highway with less than 50k on the odometer.

K-Paul, interceptor and Roland like this.
  13. Aug 18, 2021 at 9:23 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Limited with
    Yeah, no, I’ve never heard of a dealership doing anything like that. That seems to be more the exception.

Spare Parts and Roland[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Aug 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Maybe, this would be more difficult now. OP saying that they have any 2021 available. When available on the lot, and you walk out of the door after the sales BS is done. Most likely, the sales person will say, Sir, wait a minute, let me talk to my manager one more time.

Even more so if you have a check in your hand.

15. Aug 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I didn't have that option. The dealership was only ready to order me TRD Pro wheels from parts dept + Tires available at the dealership + labor for install. I bet it would have cost me around $2500 if I got from Dealership.

I got TRD ORP wheels + Tires and installed at a Discount Tire near me.

It wasn't easy to sell 20 in wheels and tires though. Looks like no one wants 20 in wheels.

LandCruiser and interceptor like this.
  16. Aug 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    It's not really an option; It's a business proposition you as the customer are willing to make with the dealership. It's telling the dealership when they are close to finalize the sale with you; look, I purchase the vehicle right now, hence, I want an additional $1,500 off the already more or less agreed deal, and then buy the rims & tires you want, or you dealership can replace them with the tires and rims I want. Realize that the dealership has access to rims and tires on a much better price than you.

The dealership doesn't want you to walk out and go elsewhere. Like I said, this depends on supply & demand.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Aug 18, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    My daughter wanted the TRD pro wheels and upgraded tires on her SR5 when I bought it for her at the end of the 2020 model year.

The dealership offered to add it to the cost of the vehicle without credit for the existing wheels and tires, which they would keep.

I asked them why they would keep them if I had already paid for them and they said something about liability or some nonsense like that, so we never bothered to get the TRD wheels.

7385 and Roland like this.
  18. Aug 18, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Did you buy somewhere else wheels & tires or just upgraded the tires?

19. Aug 18, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    The dealership offered to install the TRD wheels and tires, which they had on hand for $2500, but insisted on keeping the SR5 wheels and OEM tires, so I looked around on the San Francisco Bay area craigslist and found a used takeoff.

I kept the SR5 wheels for myself, in case a future project comes up.

7385 and Roland[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Aug 18, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    AK Mule

AK Mule New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limted Blizzard White and former 1984 SR5 Red Wine
    Back to the original question on modes, I live at altitude in Alaska, and have only tried the modes to see how they feel. Much more capable than my Yukon with limited slip, studded tires, and no traction devices. With 17-inch Blizzaks for winter, it is really unstoppable.

I have new SR5 17 inch wheels for summer, and older SR5 17 inch wheels with Blizzaks for winter. Cloned the TPMS and swap them twice year. Sold the 20's.

But just in case, I made this card.

IMG_E3012.jpg

Cobra715, Curlystooge, 4R777 and 7 others like this.
  21. Sep 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    JustRon

JustRon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Regarding 17" wheels on a new Limited... on the USA Toyota site, if you build a Limited, you have a choice between two different 17" wheels. The gray wheels are only $245, while the bronze are $1350. I'm not sure why the bronze are so much more expensive, and the fine print does say that installation is not included. But it seems like a cost-effective way to add 17's without the hassle of selling your 20's (if you don't want to bother storing them).
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.45.22 PM.jpg

22. Sep 21, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    AK Mule

AK Mule New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    The Limiteds have changed so much since we got ours in 2017, everything from tire pressure sensors to wheel options. If I hadn't already gone through the motions of selling my 20's and buying two sets of SR5 wheels and tires, I would order those bronze wheels tomorrow. Unless that is the upgrade price, not outright purchase price.

But wait, there's more...The TRD Sport on that website is now a Limited with a hood scoop and the Limited 20 inch wheels.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  23. Sep 21, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    gkomo

gkomo New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    I've just spent some time researching the Sport vs Limited. Some initial things i've found:

- Limited has dual climate control as well as heated/vented seats, Sport does not
    - Limited has push button start, Sport does not
    - Limited has full time 4wd with the option of going 'real' 4wd high and low, Sport has all that just no full time 4wd
    - Limited passenger seat is fully adjustable (electronic), Sport passenger seat is manual

Other features i'm not sure about that the Limited has but Sport doesn't:

- Limited has that full 360 camera view, Sport might, not sure
    - Limited has auto high beams, Sport might, not sure
    - Limited has the 15 speaker JBL sound system, Sport might, not sure
    - Limited has 3rd row seating, Sport might, not sure
    - Limited has a standard electrical plug in the back, Sport might, not sure
    - Limited has 1-push button window rollup/down on ALL windows, Sport might, not sure

If I could find a Limited near me i'm almost certain the wife and I would trade my Tacoma in for one. They are hard to find though.

24. Sep 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    The gray is per wheel the bronze per set.

Pentangler and LandCruiser like this.
  25. Sep 21, 2021 at 4:09 PM
    JustRon

JustRon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    That makes sense (mathematically), but it's odd to display the pricing like that.
    So, swapping the 20" wheels for 17's costs almost $1000 (minimum)? That doesn't make much sense unless the 20" wheels are incredibly cheap.

26. Sep 21, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    JustRon

JustRon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron

I looked at the pdf which compares trim levels and found some of your answers:
    - Limited has that full 360 camera view, Sport might, not sure (If you mean "Panoramic View Monitor, it's an available option)
    - Limited has auto high beams, Sport might, not sure (It says all models have Automatic High Beams as part of Toyota Safety Sense, but I'm not sure what that means)
    - Limited has the 15 speaker JBL sound system, Sport might, not sure (Nope, not on the Sport)
    - Limited has 3rd row seating, Sport might, not sure (Not available on the Sport, optional on Ltd)
    - Limited has a standard electrical plug in the back, Sport might, not sure (I think all trims have this)
    - Limited has 1-push button window rollup/down on ALL windows, Sport might, not sure (I couldn't find that)

This is what I looked at:
    https://www.toyota.com/content/dam/toyota/brochures/pdf/2022/4runner_ebrochure.pdf

Cobra715 and gkomo[QUOTED] like this.
  27. Sep 21, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    AK Mule

AK Mule New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
  28. Sep 25, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    JustRon

JustRon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Just for the sake of accuracy (in case anyone in the future reads this thread)... Toyota said this:

"The accessory TRD 17- inch Cast Aluminum Wheel in Gloss Gunmetal Gray is sold as a set with an MSRP of $245. The TRD 17- inch Cast Bronze Wheel is sold as a set with an MSRP of $1,350."

29. Sep 25, 2021 at 8:29 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ask the dealership for price, for the sake of accuracy. I did!

30. Sep 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    JustRon

JustRon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    I did... they didn't have a clue. They said for special orders or anything off of the "Build a Toyota" website, I have to contact Toyota. My local dealership is horrible, though.

Products Discussed in

To Top