1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Price Increases

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Troopert4r, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM
    jack bauer1

jack bauer1 New Member

Member:
    He gets like that whenever a Pro is mentioned. He can't help himself for some reason. Plays like a broken record.

2016Pro[QUOTED] and WallyT4R like this.
  2. Aug 9, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Hilarious! Don't think I said anything wrong but I know how some of you PRO guys get. An by the way I have the same vehicle as you without the appearance package, but it's called a Trail. It's the same vehicle, but I didn't pay thousands more for all the vanity. ;)

If you read my posts without bias you would realize what I am trying to say. But I see you did exactly what I say not to do, so anything I say regarding a PRO is going to seem like an attack to you.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. Aug 10, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    jack bauer1

jack bauer1 New Member

Member:
    Wally-For me to feel attacked by your comments, I'd have to be threatened by them, which I am not. You are just one of those dudes who always has to open their mouths even when not asked because you want to be heard. Perhaps you are still bitter about the financial trouble you found yourself in which is why you find yourself always defending the reason the bought the Trail vs Pro. Really...no one gives two shits.
    And for what it's worth I wouldn't buy the Pro again..but I am not telling people my reasons UNLESS THEY ASK.

Live and let live Wally.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  4. Aug 10, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    MattMo

MattMo Life's too short not to!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP KDSS Magnetic Gray
    TRD Cold Air intake system Pro-Comp Vertigo with BFG LT285/70R17 KO2 ICON 0-3.5" Suspension System - Stage 2 (Tubular) ICON Rear shock shin guards ICON Adjustable track bar RSG METALWORKS Angled sliders with a kick RSG METALWORKS KDSS Skid plate Metal Tech Rear Bump Stop Drops RAD RUBBER DESIGN Nitrile Rubber Engine SPLASH GUARDS Body Armor BackBone Hitch Skid AVS Hood and Window vents Front windows and Moon Roof Tinted Pedal Commander Wet Okole seat covers LED lights in and out RAGO Modular Storage Panel System Driver and Passenger RAGO Low Profile ditch light brackets with Baja Designs Squadron Sport Driving/ Combo LED Lights RAGO Ditch Bracket Antenna Extension for the Go Pro RAGO Antenna Mount - Stainless Steel Secondary Air Pump replaced the foam to a Uni Filter UP-107 1” clamp-on breather. Fog Lights changed to Xenon Depot Xtreme LED Pro H16 Yellow Bulbs Lamin-X protective film in Yellow C4 Fabrication Rear Diff Skid Plate Lamin-X door cup clear scratch protectors Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn Kit (Tail as Turn™ Module +Backup Module) with XP80 LED Cool White for old turn signals GOBI ladder Overland Equipped Bolt-On Steps RotopaX Ladder Mount Brackets for RotopaX Fuel cans SDHQ ABS Speed Sensor Guards Smittybilt Element Ramps ArcLight LEDs Icarus Hatch Lights eXtreme ARTEC INDUSTRIES Toyota 5G Venture Roof Cross Bars Silver Wing Clam Shell Rooftop Tent Anytime Backup and Front Camera Full Kit (Camera and Switch) ARB Differential Breather Kit Diaz Fabrication Devil Horns clear anodize Pro-Comp LED Rock Lights ARTEC INDUSTRIES 5G Venture bumper with Smittybuilt winch ABB 2500 awning GOBI Stealth full w/moon roof (ARB and Shovel Axe mounts) On order:
    Nope! Couldn't be happier with her...

WallyT4R and toy33 like this.
  5. Aug 10, 2019 at 10:12 AM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    Zero regrets. I had Android Auto in my 2017 GTI - lots of bugs, didn't work half the time. Gave up on using it altogether even before the free XM/Sirius 1-month trial ended if that tells you anything.

6. Aug 11, 2019 at 2:51 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Oh people give a shit my friend, don't fool yourself. All I have to do is go against a PRO owner and they get all butt hurt or feel the need to attack me because my opinion is different than theirs, exactly what you did.......An I am not "defending" any reason for buying the same vehicle you have without the appearance package. I am simply stating if you are going to mod why pay for things twice? No financial trouble, simply financial smarts.

My bad for trying to help people make a smart financial move.

Live and let live Jack.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  7. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    And he wonders why his wife left him lmao

jack bauer1[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    No regrets at all.

9. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Troopert4r

Troopert4r [OP] New Member

Member:
    SW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium
    Zero regrets for buying my 2019.

I had car play/android auto in my 2017 Fusion and never used it. The radio, while it has a small screen, doesn’t bother me as I listen mainly to talk radio and sports. I test drove a vehicle with the safety sense too, not a big fan.

Overall, with the price increase, I am completely satisfied with not waiting.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  10. Aug 11, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    jack bauer1

jack bauer1 New Member

Member:
    You are the last one to be handing out and or even suggesting financial advice so let's not go down that road.

My point was no one really cares about what you (or I) think about Trail vs Pro (or any other trim level for that matter). If the specific question is broached then by all means offer up what you think is best. Much of the time people are going to do what they want to do despite any kind of advice. That holds especially true for car buying which in this case (enthusiast forums) becomes emotional. Also, you have no clue what folks income level is and if they decide they want the appearance package who the fuck are you to rant with your passive aggressive posts? Based on the frequency it makes you look small. For some the difference in money for the trim levels is a drop in the bucket and is vastly irrelevant to the overall health of their financial framework.

So again, let people live with their decisions. No one likes a blowhard.

WallyT4R[QUOTED] and 2016Pro like this.
  11. Aug 11, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Can I just say that I absolutely love our 2019 T4R.
    No TSS for us.
    It is the last dinosaur!

12. Aug 11, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    jack bauer1

jack bauer1 New Member

Member:
    Ditto.
    Mine is a slug and can barley get out of its own way, gas hog, and no new safety tech.
    Love it.

13. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    I respect what you are saying jack but this is a forum and everyone has a right to their opinion and has the right to express that opinion. So in a sense anyone who comments on this site is a blowhard in your context. When someone asks for advice on which trim to buy there is no reason why I can't throw my two cents in like everyone else. They asked...they obviously care what you (or I) think....It's not my fault some of the PRO buyers get butt hurt from my opinions and feel the need to attack me. An I am sorry you think I am being passive aggressive but I understand it's hard to get the full context of an opinion unless it's worded perfectly. Even then it could come off wrong to someone, especially PRO people for some reason. o_O. It's like texting, not the best way to communicate.

I don't know why you say, "You are the last one to be handing out and or even suggesting financial advice so let's not go down that road."....do you know my financial situation?? No you don't. Live and let live jack.

4Runner fun likes this.
  14. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    elkin

elkin New Member

Member:
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your comment, but aside from Toyota Safety Sense what makes the 2019 a dinosaur? Is there any difference (TSS aside) between the 2019 and 2020 models that makes one worse than the other?

15. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    No difference except the test and drive package(tss), push button start, apple/android car play, and quite a bump in price.

16. Aug 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Just a few minor things for the DIY repair people.
    1. No key cylinder. If push button goes out. Pay to play! No easy fix.
    2. Push button entry. Again, key cylinders are a lot cheaper to replace.
    3. Most models come with dual zone climate control. Something else to break.
    4. I know I am missing some as they are not out yet. I believe the in cluster display is more graphic (again more expensive to fix).
    If (like us, someone keeps their vehicle for a period outside warranty), this all matters.
    Capability wise & in terms of vehicles; they are they are the same. Sans a few "tech" differences.
    Why I referred a dinosaur.
    Long explanation but I hope it helps.

WallyT4R likes this.
  17. Aug 11, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    jack bauer1

jack bauer1 New Member

Member:
    I'll let the record speak for itself. I am not going to re hash my position on this yet again. It's clear you failed to read my posts on this matter.
    I also don't want to drag your dick in the dirt of the financial stuff either. It's really none of my business and for that I do apologize.

Will be my last post on this topic.

2016Pro likes this.
  18. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:15 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Glad we can finally agree on things. Let's meet up for a beer sometime. :cheers:

19. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    I don't disagree with anything your saying (price to fix) but what are we going to do drive 1950's vehicles forever cause their cheaper to fix? Time and technology moves on part of life. Unfortunately everyone can hop on the bus or get run over by it.

2016Pro and nimby like this.
  20. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I have had an ignition key cylinder go out before. I had it replaced in on a customers street in 1.5 hrs with getting the part. If you are in a part of the world that doesn't have push button ignition buttons available. You must wait.
    To change a turn signal bulb in the T4R you pop a plastic hatch. Our Infiniti was insane!
    For a vehicle that most will spend a lot of time off roading it is better to follow the old saying "better safe than sorry"
    How about being in Moab & the dual zone climate goes out.
    Sometimes the old ways are better.

toy33 likes this.
  21. Aug 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    You're arguing that new technology is bad because it can break. By that logic, you should be against the 4Runner having A/C in the first place, right? Automatic transmission, Independent Front Suspension, coil springs, disc breaks, power steering, manual locking hubs........all of these are advances that have replaced old technologies that have potential to break as well. Should we still be using leaf springs, drum brakes, and manual steering?

For the people who don't want a push button start and dual climate zones, can't they just get the non-premium version? Thought I read that the non-premium versions came with a standard key and a "single" climate zone. I could be mistaken.

Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that all new 4Runners will be coming with some new tech. Anyone who doesn't like it can vote with their dollar and buy something else. But it will be very interesting to see the sales numbers of the 2020's. It'll be hard to beat the last couple of years of 5th gen sales, but 2020 sales should give us a glimpse as to whether people are willing to adopt newer tech in the 4Runner or not.

I'd be curious to hear what other vehicles are out there with simpler tech? I can't think of any off-hand.

jack bauer1 likes this.
  22. Aug 12, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I am not arguing anything. You asked my opinion & I am giving it with examples.
    Not sure why you are so defensive.

Why is the 4runner still on a frame? That is old technology!

Yes, in an off road type vehicle I want just enough comfort to make it enjoyable (ac, power steering, live axles & disk brakes).
    I don't need blind spot monitoring, lane assist, cooled seats or other "things" to break that don't make the vehicle any more capable.
    You ask me a question & this is my final answer. I am not fighting about this.
    It is just my opinion.
    :cheers:

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I'm not defensive at all.

I guess it's hard to tell over the internet, but I tried to construct my post so it didn't sound like I was on the attack. My apologies if I didn't do a good job at that. :cheers:

Back to the issue at hand, I guess if you don't need those things, then you could just not fix them if they break, right? With the exception of the push start. I wonder if those have a higher fail rate then the traditional key??

I on the other hand think they'd add to my enjoyment. No more constant key slap while offroading, auto braking for asshats that like to run red lights or deer that enjoy jumping in front of your car, a more modern screen that you can actually read.

4Runner fun likes this.
  24. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I assure you the “push button” start feature will not fail. After owning one for 5 years it is absolutely amazing. Toyota would not install it if it didn’t undergo proper testing.....I wore out the key in my 4R after 20 years..

gunsnob likes this.
  25. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    It may not be the push start.
    It could be the FOB. It could be a problem with the communication between the two.
    Our Infiniti had tons of electrical gremlins and that is a Nissan.
    Sometimes I just prefer to K.I.S.S. that way it is a cheap & quick fix.

toy33 and WallyT4R like this.
  26. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    You couldn’t “give” me a Nissan. Don’t like Acura either...

gunsnob likes this.
  27. Aug 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    Georgia Native

Georgia Native New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Prem and 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Just bought a 19 to avoid tss. I don't regret it. I plan on keeping it 20 years. Android auto and carplay will be antiquated by then if not in five years the way things are progressing.

28. Aug 12, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    If this is your first post, welcome from Nebraska!
    Make an introductory thread.
    Congratulations on the T4R, what color?

29. Aug 12, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    Georgia Native

Georgia Native New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Prem and 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Thanks for the welcome. I got the mgm. I have been on tacoma world for a couple of years. Finally got a 4 runner as well.

nimby and 4Runner fun like this.
  30. Aug 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    Yo_Hec

Yo_Hec New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hec
    Vehicle:
    2012 Limited
    Not a fan of keyless or the push button. My 12 has it and my girl and I are always thinking we each took the keys from the cup holder.

WallyT4R and 4Runner fun like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top