1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 limited radio dimming ?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Mowerman, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Feb 13, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Mowerman

Mowerman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2020 limited 4Runner
    hello there.... maybe a quick dumb question but here it is. Just bought my wife a 2020 limited with nav/CarPlay etc. It has the big 8 inch screen and she sees a button where she can turn off the display completely but have all the audio etc. there is even a manual control for the brightness but if you use that, it keeps it at the brightness whether it’s day or night. like any other vehicle I’ve ever been in, when you turn on the headlights the radio automatically dims. Is there a way to have that without manually having to control brightness or turn off completely? Am I missing something? Sorry in advance if I have reached a new low of stupidity.

2. Feb 13, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    Most cars have a dial to the left side of the dash gauge cluster that you can move up or down. Some use a little black dial sticking out of the gauge cluster, which I personally dislike since that to me should be a trip distance computer reset button.

Mowerman[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    The nav screen will dim when you turn on the headlights, but you set the brightness of the nav screen in the settings app (for both headlights on/off). Maybe settings- general? I can’t remember for sure what sub category it is in.

On limited, I think your gauge cluster brightness adjusts automatically depending on ambient light (when you turn headlights on). I don’t THINK that includes the nav screen brightness. But I could be wrong.

Mowerman[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    In display / settings there is a tab visible only when the headlights are on which allows you to check / uncheck daylight mode. Daylight mode exists for those people who run their headlights all the time, even in the day. It may be checked "on", uncheck it if it is. The display really doesn't dim much between night and day IMO though.

The rotary knob on the left also has a click setting at the very top of the rotation to turn on a brighter setting, so make sure that's unclicked as well.

SKT_07 and Mowerman[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  5. Feb 13, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    There’s also a brightness setting- you set it once with the headlights off. Then set it again with headlights on. (I think).

So, you can set a brightness level for night time driving (lights on) separately from headlights off brightness.

6. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    venture2021

venture2021 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Venture
    The rotary knob on the left controls the brightness of both the dash gauges and the radio display. If the knob is clicked into its brightest setting, the radio will stay in daytime mode even when the headlights are on. If you click the rotary knob one click down from the brightest setting, the radio will automatically switch to nighttime mode when the headlights are on.

7. Jun 20, 2021 at 5:11 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    Bottom right of screen...couldn't figure out how to dim it myself at first as well

Products Discussed in

To Top