1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 4Runner TRD Pro Windshield

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by ababygirlg, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Feb 28, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    ababygirlg

ababygirlg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Upgraded headlights to LUXX-Nova
    Not sure what you say not these. I just wanted to know why would my TRD Pro have a standard windshield glass when it's off-road. Isn't off-road for fun, work, and hard play?
    I have 7,000 miles on my Midnight Baby and this will be the third windshield that I will have to pay another $100 deductible. I also didn't know that it brings down the value each time I have to get the windshield replaced even though I haven't been in a car accident.
    Safelite has installed two now I don't want them doing any more work.
    Question: Is the windshield glass Dealer/Factory OEM the same as After Market or made of cheaper material
    Copy-paste from Safelite site (Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) auto glass is made by the same manufacturer as your original glass. Original Equipment Equivalent (OEE) auto glass is made to the same standards but by a different manufacturer. Our customers can choose OEM or OEE prior to service.)
    If this by the case, why have I had to replace it 3X in less than 6 months?

Have any 4Runner TRD-Pro owners tried the windshield wrap on the windshield?

2. Feb 28, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Welcome.
    Although I don’t have an answer to your question. But I/we would like to know why it has been replaced.
    Mine cracked about two years ago. It started at the lower left side then up about 8” then took a right turn all the way over to the passenger side.
    No intention to replace it, as of yet.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  3. Feb 28, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    Welcome from Colorado!

Curious what's causing the cracks? Mine is cracked now, but that's from a rock chip launched off a dump truck, and it's growing. Probably half of the cars in Colorado have cracked windshields!
    I'm surprised that replacing a windshield would decrease the value, but I haven't looked in to that. I'll definitely go OEM when I have to replace mine.

A&P likes this.
  4. Feb 28, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    ababygirlg

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    The first two times were from 18wheeler kicking rocks:crapstorm:, this last one was, not 100% sure, but I was on a rocky road with gravel, yet I didn't hear anything hit my car and on the way back home I noted a creak at the top running down on driver windshield, two days later my husband was washing my car and showed me another hairline crack on the passenger side running from the bottom up. I hate to file with my insurance, but we do pay monthly fees for the replacement of the windshield.

5. Feb 28, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    ababygirlg

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    This is the site that quoted the {Value of your car} [https://protectivefilmsolutions.com/windshield-protection-film-rock-shield/] scroll down until you see the yellow sports car and the information is located in the second paragraph above the picture of the yellow car.

The way it works is this. The windshield film protection layer is made out of a very different material than glass. The glass below is very hard but brittle. This is necessary for structure, protection, and of course, clarity. The ClearPlex layer is tough but thin and flexible. The material itself is rated at 9H, which means it’s actually harder than glass. When placed against a pane of glass, the flexible surface distributes the force of the impact along the surface of the layer instead of directly downwards into the glass surface.

The use of ClearPlex windshield protection film aids in helping your vehicle maintain its value. A replacement windshield is not going to do good things for your car’s value, no matter the quality of the installation. A replacement windshield, even if it was from nothing more than a tiny crack, suggests an “accident-like” repair. Those are never good for your car’s value. In the end, it’s best to prevent the damage in the first place.

6. Feb 28, 2021 at 12:41 PM
    ababygirlg

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Thank you for the welcome. You should add the insurance deductible to your policy. We only pay a $100 deductible and that includes the windshield being shipped to NM, the installation, and the recalibration. The total was $1687. I would not be driving my Midnight

7. Feb 28, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    ababygirlg

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    MyStory It's Not Funny

8. Mar 1, 2021 at 9:18 PM
    taco_runner

taco_runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    We should all sign a petition for toyota to make the cameras not part of the windshield, or at least has a separate windshield. The calibration costs more than $1,500 and the insurance companies jacks up your next renewal premium and the claim record stays for 3 to 5 years so paying out of pocket will be better in the long run. Ask me how I know... In Az, inaurance ckmpanies don't automatically cover windshield now.. you have to pay extra.

9. Mar 2, 2021 at 3:41 AM
    ababygirlg

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    That would be something to see, to have a double windshield. I really dislike that we have to keep going back to the Toyota dealership for recalibration each time our windshield is hit with a rock. They should have roads just for these 18-wheelers or require them ALL to have guards near each tier so rocks are forced back down instead of hitting our nice paint jobs and windshield, which would save our trips to the dealership and paint body shops.
    We pay extra each month for windshield, all around glass protection. I rather pay $12 a month then to dish out $1600+ each time a rock hits my windshield. A $100 deductible is better for me.
    Toyota should do a recall on all 4Runners under five a age and put bullet proof windshield or make the windshield thicker or at a better angle.
    Have a wonderfully blessed week.

10. Mar 2, 2021 at 3:44 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    I have read up on where the 4runner wind shield chips very easily. My 17 pro brand new and couple weeks after a piece of salt from the road as soon as it hit the wind shield I had a tiny crack. Safelite repaired it. I make sure I don’t ride close to others on the road ways because of this issue and chips in the front of the hood. I think there is a film out there you can have it out on to protect it. It’s just like my corvette is completely wrapped with Suntex. No chips and scratches. Pretty much the same for the wind shield.

11. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    mauspalls

mauspalls New Member

Member:
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road - nautical blue
    Dobinsons 1" lift, 255/80/17 Falken Wildpeaks, Tundra battery mod, Extreme LED Pro Fogs, lots of good mojo
    Don't have an answer to your question, but I just recently paid $850 for an OEM windshield at a NM dealer. Little sticker even says "Toyota - made in Japan". I'm sure it's good glass, but $$$$$.

Never heard that windshield replacements decrease a car's value.

A&P and jester243 like this.
  12. Mar 4, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Windshield replacement shows on Carfax? That's the only way it could "decrease value."

4Runner windshield does seem a little brittle. I have some chips after only a few weeks / months. But fortunately none have cracked or spread. My advice is always to follow far behind. Fortunately the 4Runner windshield is up high, but it's also very perpendicular to the road.

13. Mar 10, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I got my first chip on my way to Moab last February. Then I got my next one 2" from the first, but the second one also hit my hood and took two chips out of that and put a dent in the roof. Needless to say, I don't worry about chips and scratches anymore. I'm headed to AZ and Southern Utah Saturday for a week so we will see what's next. I just emailed my insurance company to see if I'm covered or how much to do so.

14. Mar 22, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Joined the windshield 'chip' club today. Yes sir, less than 750 miles on the speedo. The damn roads west of us are in such disrepair I thought about airing down.......no joke:mad:

15. Mar 23, 2021 at 3:52 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Sorry to hear that Moon Landing. Ugh you just got it.

I am looking into hood guards now for when I get mine. My buddy tells me he has enough stone chips he is saying uncle and getting one.

16. Mar 23, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

Nobody made you buy a new vehicle with driver assist systems...

17. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    ^ Technically, the US Congress did. I believe every vehicle made after 2018 MUST have a rear view camera per new legislature. Also, the EU is (I believe) passing laws that will require more advanced systems be implemented on all cars starting next year. It's only a matter of time before we have no choice. But we already have no choice, realistically, because the sheeple that don't want to pay attention while driving want to buy this shit.. and we are vastly outnumbered by those people.

taco_runner likes this.
  18. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Koukimonster is right we won't have a choice. I sort of wish I bought a 2019 now darn did not think of this, I think that was the last year before all this nonsense came out. On the plus side the 4R does not have auto/start/stop; I find that annoying on test drives.

catus likes this.
  19. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Rear view camera is not a driver assist system and has nothing to do with the windshield, but no, congress has never made you purchase a new car.

20. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Thanks. It was bound to happen at some point. :mad:

Rear view cameras:
    "Every year, thousands of children are killed or seriously injured because a driver backing up didn’t see them. A backover incident typically takes place when a car is backing out of a driveway or parking space."

Sheeple:
    Man! You should try getting up on the other side of the bed every once in a while.

jester243 likes this.
  21. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I wonder how that plastic film referenced above would fair with the defrosters on bottom of windshield for the wipers and along the sides. This will be my first vehicle with a feature like that. Maybe they go around it?

22. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Things keep changing so this is not a definitive answer, but as best I know defrosters(electric defrost strips)should not be used if windows have been filmed.

Ask your film installer first - if he/she say it's OK - get that in writing on you receipt.

23. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    you have a source for that, I've never had the replacement of a windshield change vehicle value. cause shit, I'm on my 3rd windshield now...

24. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Thats sucks. I went to southern Utah last week and luckily avoided any more chips, but I did hit a tumbleweed and that sucker was big. It scratched up my lower bumper fascia. I guess its a good time to either replace which is what I wanted to do because I hate the license plate holder or just get a new bumper.

25. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    If we drive them things will happen. Just keep the rubber side down.

26. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Haha! Honestly, man, I'm happy until I walk out my door. It's a problem I'm working on. We all have personalities... living among the rest of the world is difficult for me at times because I'm pretty far from "normal." I have a very hard time accepting a lack of effort or care, or frankly intelligence.. the people that just float through on the hard worker's back. C'est la vie though, probably can't change it. So acceptance is most likely crucial! It's hard! I want to change the world and make it better! It would be so much easier to be simple and float on. Do I have a human responsibility to use my intelligence? To help the world become better even though it's hell? I could ignore all of these posts and it would be easier. But then who would get my wonderfully blunt and accurate point of view?? :)

I'm not against the rear view cameras. They're actually pretty sweet. But I am against autonomous driving and the trend is strong. The more of these features they put on vehicles, the more people will feel comfortable staring at their phones as they travel down the road. Open your eyes, wait.. don't.. or you might become all crotchety like me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  27. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:10 AM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    I'd highly advise you never ride motorcycles or bicycles. It's a jungle out there........and IT IS getting worse.

catus and koukimonster[QUOTED] like this.
  28. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Heh. Always wanted a motorcycle. Literally about every few years I get the fire lit under me again.. I GOTTA GET A BIKE! But with every new round of temptation, that is always somehow stronger than the previous, I also have more sense as well as responsibilities in life.. I end up saying it just isn't worth it. Looking forward to maybe a dirt bike and hitch carrier on the 4Runner one day, though!

EDIT: Wait, bicycles?? I do ride bikes. What's the jungle? Oh, you mean on the streets? Nah, eff that. Streets are built for cars these days.

The road rage is strong in this one. Can you guess why I bought a 4Runner, lol?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  29. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    ^ Ha! "Because I like to ride?"

Sorry to hear about your friend.

30. Mar 23, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    Here in Colorado, it's like playing Frogger. I'm constantly speeding up, slowing down, changing lanes, watching people's heads/traffic/road. It almost takes the fun out of it.
    But not enough to sell the bike. SWMBO told me that I'm not allowed to sell *our* bike.

A&P and Moon Landing[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top