1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020-2022 air compressor mount solutions?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by j2runner, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Sep 15, 2022 at 1:46 PM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi folks,

I'm looking into self-installing an onboard ARB compressor into a 2022 4Runner. While I haven't worked on vehicle electrical before, it seems like it should be generally straightforward with enough planning (knock on wood). With that said, I'm looking for the most straightforward way to do it, without permanently altering the truck.

The main hurdle I seem to have found is that >2020 model years seem to have introduced a secondary engine fuse/relay box, and most of the existing driver-side mounting solutions on the market will obstruct this.

SLEE offers a second bracket to relocate the fuse panel.....while this seems a little annoying (and extra $), it doesn't require drilling.

Mountain Offroad (MORE) makes one for the passenger side, but this seems to have minimal clearance between the compressor and the hood, which means the ARB quick connect that comes with the compressor can't be used. Plus, the far-side mount means

Rago's seems to totally block access to the firewall, which would make future electrical mods difficult to install

Any recommendations? Tips/tricks for those who have already done this on a 2020+ model?

2. Sep 15, 2022 at 1:56 PM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Method 703 - Nitto G2 - C4 Ladder - UpTop Rack - EIbach 2.0 Coilovers & Load Levling Kit (250) Victory Strike Sliders - Dometic 55 - EcoFlow Delta
    The Powertray is the way to go

ChessGuy likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2022 at 2:34 PM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Did you install that yourself? Any photos?

I have no plans to install a Switch Pro or Blue Seas panel, so I wonder if that option is overkill

4. Sep 15, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    wsu_runner

wsu_runner Just lurking...

Member:
    Planning for a single or dual ARB? Dual on the driver's side is a tough fit based on my experience. I ended up going with the Slee mount plus relocation bracket with a single. Slee bracket has a bunch of mounting holes in it but I found that the only set that lined up with the single would have pushed the compressor to the extreme inboard side, closest to the engine. Seemed unnecessarily close with a ton of wasted space on the other side so I drilled a couple holes and moved it over.

There are a number of companies that make a passenger side mount but I have plans for a battery in that spot. Desert Does It has an in-cabin mount that goes under the seat but it requires use of their 'seat jackers' which raise the seat slightly.

Good luck!

ReRunner likes this.
  5. Sep 16, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    Made my own to fit there with 1 gal tank under it, but many online options available if you don't want to design, engineer and fabricate:

-and-lt;-and-lt;-and-lt;-and-lt;-albums-_c88d20716ca3470eae5f6d9b52f7c2795d46deb5.jpg

doublewide likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2022 at 7:16 AM
    dgtulsaguy

dgtulsaguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 MGM ORP long travel
    I made it work with a used Rago. It's very tight but only very minor modifications to a bracket required. Put a 1 gal tank on the other side.

20220706_194901.jpg

7. Sep 16, 2022 at 8:09 AM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Still on the fence, but leaning toward the dual. I probably don't need the output, but I like the duty cycle, and I'd rather buy once/cry once.

For the passenger-side install - are there any issues running the wires? It seems like there's more open space on that side, but I'd run the wiring for the switch through the firewall port on the driver side.

8. Sep 16, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    wsu_runner

Member:
    That was my thinking. I bought the dual, then sold it and bought a single. I've used the single quite a few times and it does a good job, more than sufficient for my needs....but.....

Don't have any first-hand experience so I can't comment there. I didn't feel like punching a hole in the firewall boot so I put a marine-grade switch right on the mount. Figured I'd always have the hood up to use the compressor anyway so an in-cabin switch wasn't really needed.

9. Sep 16, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Did you swap out the twin after realizing it would be a tough fit?

10. Sep 16, 2022 at 5:31 PM
    wsu_runner

Member:
    Yeah. The Slee bracket caused the dual to overhang the front fuse box. It wasn't much but I didn't want to be in a situation where I had to fight to get into the fuse box on the side of the road or deep on a trail. Sold it to a guy locally for a discount (he got a great deal).

11. Sep 16, 2022 at 6:34 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    There used to be a guy, on the other forum (t4r.org) names Leroy. He had a mount called Bandi mount. I don’t know if he’s still making them but it fits by the passenger firewall and has room for a tank. It very solid. I use it with a twin compressor plus manifold.

It wasn’t expensive and fit perfectly.

Cheers
    Mike

blksubykid and dgtulsaguy like this.
  12. Sep 19, 2022 at 9:38 AM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Finally picked up my truck on Saturday morning. After looking under the hood myself, the passenger side seems like the obvious location, assuming the wiring is long enough to run into the cabin.

13. Sep 19, 2022 at 10:12 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I have mine on the passenger side. Seems like more space there. The right side I left it for the switch pro mount. Will find a pic soon.

14. Sep 22, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    sympley76

sympley76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Limited
    What is the reason(s) for getting air compressor installed? There are once one can plug in a cigarette lighter, just curious why have one in there all the time.

15. Sep 22, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    20220417_134750.jpg

16. Sep 22, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    There are many reasons...but for me it is much faster to air up after a trail with a compressor. One from a cigarette lighter would take forever and I don't think they have hoses that are long enough to reach out to the back etc. I am sure there are other good reasons....you could remove dust from the vehicle fairly quick as well with this little unit.
    But yes....more expensive to buy and install.

17. Sep 22, 2022 at 10:36 AM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    Air lockers, speed to inflate, and duty cycle.

All valid use cases for me. You’re point however is well taken. You don’t need onboard air for the majority of circumstances.

Cheers
    Mike

18. Sep 22, 2022 at 10:56 AM
    sympley76

sympley76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Limited
    OK, got it. Makes sense now.

19. Sep 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Space, a nice permanent spot so it’s not forgotten. Even before I started mall crawling, I mean off roading, I carried a cig plug in air pump. And have pretty much had one of these.
    upload_2022-9-22_15-38-3.jpg

So for me, now that I will use it more, I want something that is easy to use, easy to store and not easy to forget.

20. Jun 26, 2023 at 1:39 PM
    Swizzle

Swizzle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver 4Runner ORP
    Eibach front lift

If you hadn't already found out...he was known as Bandiworld.us on both FB and Insta, he closed shop according to his latest reports in 10/2021. I'm looking at doing this with my Viair 400P (probably have to figure out how to dust/waterproof the switch first) so been stalking these forums a bit and collecting ideas.

21. Jun 27, 2023 at 9:51 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Did you happen to do a writeup or have a list of the materials used to install the ARB?

22. Jun 28, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    OverRunner

OverRunner rebmeM weN

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP w/KDSS
    I used:
    Mountain Off-Road Enterprises mounting bracket (ARB4RUN5-BLACK)

ARB CKMTA12 Dual Compressor

ARB 171601 1gal Tank

ARB 171302 Air-up kit

ARB 171503 Air Manifold

ARB 0740203 Stainless Hose

I also bought one extra small stainless hose from a local store (Oreilly, etc) to get from the tank to the manifold.

Then I just bolted the manifold to the side of the MORE bracket.

Edit: I also had to buy a flare X threaded elbow to redirect the stainless hose coming out of the compressor. I used something like is pictured below, but can’t find my records. I know I bought a blue one though.

5852958A-9FE5-4C77-9C08-9CEF53AC6FA8.jpg
    451D9B37-2532-4CC5-B03E-75874D512665.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    jhayt4r likes this.
  23. Jun 28, 2023 at 2:06 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I didn't do a write up but I followed a youtube video that ARB put together on the installation. I also removed the intake box to allow for plenty space. Make sure you do that first so that you have decent room to wiggle things in. There are some decent videos out there - youtube university came thru on this one for me. Good luck.

24. Jun 28, 2023 at 2:44 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    :bowdown:

25. Jun 28, 2023 at 4:04 PM
    Mr. Snuffleupagus

Mr. Snuffleupagus Light Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Elka 2.5 DC, Sherpa Crestone, C4 Lo Pro, Baja Designs S8, Morimoto 4bangers, Switch Pro 9100, Westcott Designs sliders, Toyo Open Country RT Trail 285 75/R17
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  26. Jul 5, 2023 at 4:58 PM
    waldo98

waldo98 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    SoCalli
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Nautical Blue Metallic
    I'm bumping this for my own research purposes for my 2023 ORP.

27. Jul 7, 2023 at 8:24 PM
    Mr. Snuffleupagus

Mr. Snuffleupagus Light Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Elka 2.5 DC, Sherpa Crestone, C4 Lo Pro, Baja Designs S8, Morimoto 4bangers, Switch Pro 9100, Westcott Designs sliders, Toyo Open Country RT Trail 285 75/R17
    Ok just finished up the ARB single compressor install with LFD bracket (passenger side) hooked up to my Switch Pro 9100. I will say the install was far easier than anticipated. Im happy to walk anyone through the steps I took. Total install time was maybe 90 minutes. I am not using the airlocker wiring so that simplified things. I also ordered the Switch Pro ARB wiring compressor harness but didn't end up using it. If you all want a detailed write up let me know and I can throw it together.

waldo98 and ChessGuy like this.
  28. Jul 8, 2023 at 7:51 AM
    Austin26

Austin26 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    5th gen ORP
    I'm happy to go into more details if requested. While I added a secondary b fuse/relay/switch along with a breaker, you only must run a fuse. I have mine under the passenger seat. Yes, ARBs can take abuse. No, being abused by heat cycles and dust / water does not help them live longer.

IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    70524771127__B936D966-C7BA-46C3-9B75-9462D0F80CF9.jpg

Doglover2003 likes this.
  29. Jul 9, 2023 at 4:49 AM
    2021venture

2021venture New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Elka 2.5, SPC UCA, durobumps, RCI full skids, RSG sliders, 10 lb Powertank, Maxtrax, Hi lift jack, Westscott Designs modular roof rack and ladder, ARB rear diff breather relocate, ECGS bushing upgrade
    How loud is that in the cab? Wondering if it's realistic for passengers to be in cab while airing up.

30. Jul 9, 2023 at 5:22 AM
    wingo

wingo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    I installed my ARB single compressor in the cubby over the wheel well. It is a good use of that useless space. Compressor is hard wired to the second battery and the switch is next to the compressor.

compressor set up.jpg

Austin26[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top