1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 Model Year

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Richmond Dan, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Sep 6, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    You know what you are getting. Old school :transformer:and one of the most reliable vehicles ever produced. It's why I went and bought my 2016. I was under the impression they were going to change it for 2018 back then and I wanted the 5th gen. Before buying it I daily drove a 1989 FJ62. I think the 4runner is a lexus compared to my LC and love that it doesn't have a lot of tech.

The new one will have all that safety crap so you can text and drive more effectively. It may also have the 3.5 out of the Tacoma...no thanks! It may also have a unibody :tumbleweed:...who knows??? but one thing is for sure it won't be a 5th gen anymore. An I gots mine!:benchpress:

thirdyota likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:33 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    Agreed, I think the 5th Gen is modern enough for me on the inside with good old fashion proven "mechanicals" under neath. I'll have this '18 for many many years.

Pushyguy, WallyT4R and thirdyota like this.
  3. Sep 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    if the 4runner is a uni-body design in 2020 and with less off road performance or no off road then our 5th gens will be on the high vehicle theft list.. have to get more security installed to reduce our vehicles getting stolen.

one person saw in the middle east 4runners with USA stickers on them driven by the Arabs..
    middle east the Toyota trucks are very well used .. not seen any GM/fords there..

4. Sep 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    rockybird

rockybird New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Trd Pro
  5. Sep 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM
    Pushyguy

Pushyguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road, 3/2 lift, 33s
    Rifle rack, console .357 holster, pine tree air freshener.
    I got my 18 not because of the mpg, I also like the older interior. When I take it over from the wife I need a strong ass rig. I drive to construction sites, oil rigs and landfills, bad parts of town, trailer parks, the inlaws place. I need to get in and out, some of us bought these for the capability.
    P.S. and I look really good in it.....lol

6. Oct 9, 2018 at 10:33 PM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    But he's probably right though.

7. Oct 9, 2018 at 11:39 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    If they do to the engine of the 2020 t4r what they did to the Tacoma... the 2019 t4r might be the last 6 cyl small truck that resembles anything close to what many of us have known and loved about small 6 cyl trucks for the last 30 years.

That's arguable, for a number of reasons, but there's definitely a transition happening across the industry. The 4runner, the Blazer, the S10, the Bronco, the Pathfinder, etc. They really are relics now and have a totally different feel on the road than today's trucks. Not that today's trucks don't have numerous advantages and tech breakthroughs. But it's a whole new ballgame.

Kinda like 80's trucks vs 60's trucks. Now we're talking 2020 vs 1990's.

8. Oct 16, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Re-read post #14 in this thread. It will help you understand how car development works in the real world and not in some made up political fantasy land.

9. Oct 16, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    I understand how CAFE works, but if you think that dramatically higher CAFE standards won't affect the vehicle mix/pricing offered by Toyota, then you're in fantasy land. And so too is it a fantasy to believe that the dem mainstream doesn't want to boost CAFE standards more quickly than current technology can achieve in a reliable and cost effective way.

10. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    They can't raise it quickly. That would be unfair to ALL automakers. They have to be given a reasonable time frame (years) to make changes to mpg.

11. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    But the dems already raised it quickly. Under Obama they legislated another 20mpg on top of todays numbers by 2025. It just can't be done without major changes to the model line-up. Trump is trying to moderate what Obama put in place but if he isn't successful, or if dems take power back, your vehicle choice will absolutely be impacted, and soon.

j cat and WallyT4R like this.
  12. Oct 17, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    our current federal administration has changed the DIMM'S MPG regs .. delayed the increase in MPG ..
    the previous DIMM administration loaded up regs to the max which is why many companies left the USA, ..

I hope Toyota stays with the old tech on these as this is a reliable vehicle .. stay with the same design .. maybe 2020 ?

13. Oct 17, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    They're trying to delay it but as far as I know it isn't set in stone yet.

14. Oct 17, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    because these do have low MPG Toyota sends over from Japan small amounts of these 4 runners..also I never saw any 4runners being advertised or any special deals.

Toyota is not gonna spend any money on advertising these..many sold day one on the lot.
    our 5th gen 4runners will be increasing in value, when the uni body design is setup.

15. Oct 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Define quickly.

In 2012, Obama signed the bill for auto manufacturers to get a fleet average of 54.4mpg by 2025. That's giving auto manufacturers 13 years to make those changes. If you go back to jcats first post in this thread, he makes it sound like if the Democrats win the House/Senate in November, Toyota will scrap the 6 gen 4Runner which he presumes will come out in 2020. That's complete bullshiit. There is not a single car company that will discontinue any one of their cars if the democrats win in November. New car development works on much longer time frames than 2 months or 2 years for that matter.

16. Oct 18, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    No, they won't discontinue any car the day after the election, but democrats being in power will absolutely continue to make unrealistic demands on the automakers and with the time it takes to bring a new model to production, 2025 is virtually right around the corner. So jcat might not have the most accurate timeframe, but his position that dems taking power will affect what products you can buy/what they will cost, etc, is not bullshit at all. It's right on the money actually, just perhaps two or three models years down the road. You're being terribly naïve if you think that unrealistically high CAFE standards won't affect you in a negative way.

j cat likes this.
  17. Oct 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I didn't say that a party can't influence what happens down the road. I said it's bullshit that this Novembers election will change the 6th Gen 4Runner like jcat claimed. Stop trying to twist my words around.

And CAFE standards negatively affecting someone is a relative term. If that means I have to give up my 18mpg 4Runner one day, then so be it. I have faith Toyota can make one that gets better gas mileage and is actually more powerful. I for one look forward to less dependence on fossil fuels and cleaner air for my children and I.

18. Oct 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Yes, it would be wonderful to magically have more power and less mpg with no side effects whatsoever. The problem with debating liberals is that they always allow idealism to override common sense. But I'm afraid you're the one peddling bullshit if you believe that massively higher mpg numbers forced upon a market before the tech exists won't also carry massive compromises along with it. Anyway, trying to talk sense to a liberal is a waste of time so I'm giving up on this thread!

19. Oct 18, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Bye :wave:

fsroader likes this.
  20. Oct 19, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    If the DIMMS win in nov the house /senate , the 4 runner will as it is built now, not be sold in the USA, .
    may take a year or two for this to happen.
    my state they the federal politicians talk about climate change all the time , when they campaign or on the senate/house floor . also they will Impeach elected politicians that do not respect their climate change views.

prior to the 2016 election on another forum many stated , Toyota was not gonna send new 4runners to the USA because of added taxes and other fees on low MPG vehicles.
    Toyota is building vehicle manufacturing plants now in the USA to avoid the tariffs ..perhaps the 4runner name will be changed if it is the uni-body design .. smaller lighter MPG increase .. California runner ...LOL..

Mass4runner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top