1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Limited Navigation/phone sound quality

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CNC, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    CNC

CNC [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner Limited
    Hi, new here. Picked up a 2018 Limited last week. So far so good, except the sound quality for navigation and phone calls is poor. It sounds very muffled. All the other audio source, XM, CD, FM, iPhone, all sound fine. Does the navigation and Bluetooth phone run through a different speaker? I’ll probably take it to the dealer, but am looking for any insight before I do.

Thanks

laceofbase likes this.
  2. Oct 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    SCTrojans

SCTrojans New Member

Member:
    I got a 2019 4Runner yesterday and the phone sound quality is absolute crap, same as my Tundra.

3. Jun 23, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    laceofbase

laceofbase New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black 4Runner Limited
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would pick it back up. The Bluetooth phone audio in my 2017 LTD is unusable. It’s either muffled or blowing out. Wondering if you ever found anything out? Something has to be done.

4. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I have a feeling with time the speakers working hard might have worn out.

Atleast on my 2019 Limited with JBL the sound quality via bluetooth playing Youtube videos is good. No complains on phone calls and navigation as well. Phone calls does not have the full sound frequency so I'm not expecting the same music quality audio.

I'm not saying the sound quality is good as home theater system but good for what it is.

5. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:04 AM
    laceofbase

laceofbase New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black 4Runner Limited
    Well, my bluetooth and AUX audio is great when streaming music, but as soon as bluetooth phone call picks up it's both muffled and then randomly extremely loud. It's more than just less optimal sound quality - something can't be right. It makes listening to trucker banter on one of those old receivers sound fantastic.

6. Aug 31, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    HGRIFFIN80

HGRIFFIN80 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TOYOTA 4RUNNER LIMITED
    I have the same issue, I can't understand the person on the other end of the call. They can hear me clearly but I have to constantly switch over to my handset to hear the person I am talking to. Have you figured out any fix to this?

7. Sep 28, 2021 at 10:44 PM
    SuperTriz

SuperTriz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blue 4Runner Limited
    Stock
    I have a 2018 Limited. Sound quality for calls was great when I initially purchased, but then call quality went to shit. I think the speaker is blown. I’m suspecting it was iTunes auto play feature that would override YouTube videos, since I generally have YouTube videos at a louder volume. When it would switch to iTunes automatically it would be deafeningly loud and I’d quickly have to turn the volume down. I’m guessing that’s what caused the blowout. Tried taking it to toyota several times and they always say the speaker sounds fine. I bet they’ll find the problem now that my warranty is up!

Products Discussed in

To Top