1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 4Runner "key not found" message

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by carmyc, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Feb 10, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    carmyc

carmyc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blue 4Runner
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum. We have a 2018 4Runner and yesterday I was driving to several sites. A problem started where even though the key fob is sitting on the console, I get a message that shows the yellow triangle, the key light and in the middle of the console the words "key not detected." Oh yeah, and the 4Runner was running at the time.

What was odd is that I shut it down...tried to restart and it told me to depress the brake pedal. Did that....no start. Got out, checked all the doors and tailgate door (even though I didn't get an open door message) opened and shut each one and got back in....and after getting the message a couple of times, it started.

This happened several times throughout the day. There were 4 of us in the vehicle and so we were opening and closing doors, starting and shutting the engine off constantly. At times, I would get the messages, but it would start. The message would stay on for a couple of miles, then shut off.

Is this possibly a key fob battery issue? We've had the vehicle since Oct 2017.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Feb 10, 2019 at 6:50 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Take the battery out of the remote and check it with a volt meter. If they are under 3.1 volts you can start to see problems. If it’s over 3.1v swap keys and use one of the other ones. If the problem is gone the issue is with the key, if the problem continues the issue is with the vehicle.

Then again it’s a 2018, go bring it to Toyota. This why vehicles come with a warranty.

3. Feb 10, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    carmyc

carmyc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blue 4Runner
    Thanks....I'll try that.

4runnerloks likes this.
  4. Jun 23, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    4runnerloks

4runnerloks New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monk
    Vehicle:
    4runner
    So wat happened??

5. Jun 24, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    J A C O

J A C O New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey 4Runner SR5/2011 Red Tacoma TRD Sport
    4runner: Trd Pro Roof Rack... its new, I'll add more :D Tacoma: Trd Exhaust, Trd Intake, Trd Pro rims, Cali Raised Fogs, Spyder Headlights, KO2 265/70/17... most importantly: Trd Shift Knob
    Most likely the key battery, about $6 from any dealer. Alot of Limiteds have this issue, best way to not have it is to not have a Limited :devil:. The range is already pretty stubby, Limiteds are shipped to dealerships and will already need new batteries, they loose charge even a little bit and they're gonna give you trouble. If this happens push the Toyota emblem on the key fab directly to the push-to-start button.

Products Discussed in

To Top