1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016 4runner 7 pin wiring

Discussion in 'Towing' started by jonseim, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    jonseim

jonseim [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 4runner sr5
    air bags on rear springs, front hitch installed
    I have some LED lights with short pigtails on them and want to use them on my 4 runner SR5.
    I have a few places I want them and think that having them movable would be great.
    My plan and questions:
    I've got the 7 and 4 pin connectors and it's wired up front for a brake controller. I plugged one in and it's working great.
    On the 7 pin, there says there is a positive tab.
    I'd like to buy a 7 pin plug and wire a positive and ground wire to it and attach a connector to it, something like a battery tender plug.
    Then run a switch close to the lights and then the other connection and be able to plug them in and stick them on anywhere I want. Going to attach magnets to the LED mounts.
    Then all I have to do is plug in my alternate 7 pin, connect two connections and have light.
    (Does that make sense, if not please let me know and I'll attempt a better explanation)

When I put a test light on the positive, I got nothing, is it wired? Guessing no as it should light up, but wondering why the tab says there is a positive if it's not wired that way?

Is my idea crazy? I'm a new guy, but love by 4runner and have read some threads and learned a bunch already.
    If there is no positive, should I run one from the battery, put a fuse close to the battery and run it to the 7 pin in where it says it is
    Or
    Run a positive and a ground and maybe just straight to the battery tender plug and attach a junction somewhere or to a 4 flat or 7 pin as described above.
    If running from battery, come in the firewall or run along the frame in some form and double wrap it somehow to keep it from wearing, etc.

You guys are great.
    Next up is moving the attachment per another post on here that dribe posted, would love it closer to the bumper. https://www.4runners.com/threads/trailer-wiring-is-it-just-me.3875/

Thanks in advance,
    Jon the new guy

2. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Nov 19, 2020 at 8:03 AM
    jonseim

jonseim [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 4runner sr5
    air bags on rear springs, front hitch installed
    Many thanks, hoping to get some advice on a project.

To Top