1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Starter Replacement DIY?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by granny juicer, May 27, 2021.

1. May 27, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    granny juicer

granny juicer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver 4Runner Trail
    Background: Got my 4runner a bit wet running through deep puddles a few weeks ago. Had troubles with starting immediately after. Would take significantly longer than normal to start, but would usually crank and start up the first try. This week it refused to start. I turn the key and it clicks, but no crank..

I know there are a few threads on replacing starters for older generations, but I can't seem to find any posts on here (or anywhere) for 5th gen. Does anyone know if this is something I could do in my parking garage with basic tools? I know where it is located and seems like a pain in the ass to get to.. Anyone here have experience doing this themselves?

2. May 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Might be dumb to ask but did you verify that your battery isn’t dead? I honestly wouldn’t think some water would damage your starter, especially a 6 year old one. When it’s pouring rain everything that isn’t in the cab is wet on the vehicle.

3. May 27, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    WOW! Amazing that a new Toyota 4runner (2020) has starter problem.

I had starter failures in my 2005 4runner. Replaced about 4 of them, with the last one coming with a lifetime warranty purchased from Amazon.com.

I kept all the receipts and box on the last one. Called the company once recently, and they said just let us know if it fails and we'll send you a new one.

The last starter has been in there over 4+ years - longer than the OEM or any of the other replacement starters.

Rest of the 4runner has been trouble-free for 15 years. Engine and tranny work like when I bought it off the dealer lot.

I've got my fingers crossed.

I've got cash if I have to buy another 4runner. I've had GM products (from brand new) and never again is all I have to say about GM junk. Rusted away, whereas 15-year-old 4runner is 100% rust FREE... all around!

Note: Amazon does not offer a lifetime warranty on the starter now!

Amazon.com : new toyota 4runner starter 4.0l

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. May 27, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    granny juicer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Verified battery isn’t dead / cleaned terminals. Tried jumping it just to be sure. Battery was replaced in March, so quite new. Checked all the fuses as well, made sure key wasn't dead, All electronics are acting pretty normal. Tried the old “beat the starter with a wrench” trick and still didn’t start, so leads me to think it may be a gunked up or lose connection somewhere.

To be honest, it was a DEEP muddy puddle and way deeper than I should’ve been. Upper wheel front well, water in footwells deep lol. (Dipshit deep) Drove it around for a few weeks after and started on the first try everytime (slow starts). I’m thinking either a muddy / lose connection -or something completely different.

5. May 27, 2021 at 10:41 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach struts/shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    OP has a 2015.

A&P likes this.
  6. May 28, 2021 at 2:28 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    To the post above... it's not related to the year of the 4runner IMO.

You need a new starter.
    I've replaced 4 in my 2005 4runner

OEM lasted 4 years

160,000 miles I have one from Amazon that came with a lifetime guarantee.
    Amazon.com: New Starter Replacement For 2010-2018 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L, 2011-2014 FJ Cruiser 4.0L, 2010-2014 Tundra 4.0L V6 28100-31131 428000-6841: Automotive

Just replace your starter with the correct one you'll be up and running again

Don't look for one with a lifetime warranty. They aren't offered now on Amazon.

check the battery first.

Let us know what fixed the issue.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    granny juicer [OP] likes this.
  7. Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM
    granny juicer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update: Spent Saturday replacing it. Now it starts up perfectly. I definitely got lucky on this one!

Had to use a lift & all. Needed to remove exhaust manifold where it connects to the engine & piping all the way down to the midpoint of the car. About 2 or 3 electrical components needed unplugged as well. Kind of a pain in the ass job for a non-mechanic such as myself, but definitely do-able with the right tools.

Now that it’s repaired,heres a good picture of what not to do a week after buying your stock 4runner lol

6A3B8125-7519-4734-99D8-C5F0773D76FE.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top