1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 SR5 Dome Light Trigger Wire

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Fourth_4Runner, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Apr 11, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    Fourth_4Runner

Fourth_4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Basically cosmetic. ICI Magnum step-boards, Plasti-dip front grill. Just got this one
    I recently purchased ICI Magnum Running Boards for my 2014 SR5 4Runner. These running boards come with LED lighting that needs to be tapped into the dome lamp trigger wire. For example, when the keyless entry is activated, the dome lamp and mirror lights will illuminate. Can anyone tell me what color wire and location controls this? All my wiring diagrams indicate a red wire, but none of them will trigger the light tester. There is one diagram that indicates blue/grey, but that sets off the horn. If you know what wire this is, please let me know so that I can attempt to finalize the install. Thank you.

2. Apr 12, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    this may help

Attached Files:

3. Apr 12, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Boy how I wish 90% of that was not like trying to read Chinese!
    I truly envy those that have electrical abilities. Some of the dual battery setups I have seen on here & the attention to detail.
    I can wire in most accessories, amps & speakers (always a kid) & do a lot of my own work but that is it.
    I just realized I add nothing to this conversation. Sorry! Lol
    Good luck btw.

4. Apr 12, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    Fourth_4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Basically cosmetic. ICI Magnum step-boards, Plasti-dip front grill. Just got this one
    Hi J Cat, thank you for the response and the schematic. I see that it's for a 2010, but it gives me another option and support for the option. I will give it a try this weekend.

5. Apr 12, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    its is the 5th gen wiring .. also I am not an expert on how these are wired but from info I got the door switches and the PCM / ECM controls the dome lamp and puddle lamps .. so looks like the dome has 12 volts on it then the ground wire is the turn on wire which the door ground switch and also the PCM / ECM..

so my guess is wire the LED lamps to 12 volt fused feed and then the ground should connect to the dome ground from the PCM/ECM..

6. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:06 PM
    Fourth_4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Hi J Cat,
    I am new here and it took a bit to find how to respond to you. I have tested every wire in the diagram, and I could not make a solid determination. There is a shop that is local that will complete the electrical connection for me, and I am planning to take it to get it finished.
    Thank you for al your input, I super appreciate it.

7. Apr 21, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    those diagrams are 5th gen runner wiring . the hard part to find the ground wire on the dome lamp . info I found is the door switches and the computer control that lamp circuit .
    dealership may give you the exact location of that ground control wire.

also try using the driver door switch .. remove switch and use meter to find the ground and the wire to lamp. see if that will ground the circuit lamp when switch is pushed in / closed position.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top