1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 head gasket blown- help!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by EP2008, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Apr 3, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    EP2008

EP2008 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner
    We have 2008 4Runner Sport and it only has 116,000 miles. We take it to local Toyota dealership for repairs. 5 months ago we had to replace Left rear axel seal and back brakes. Now today I was told the Right rear axel seal needs replacing and rear brakes again (??) and also front CV boot. The big whammy was found to be leaking coolant during multipoint inspection. Apparently we need head gasket too! So this is a very unexpected cost. Total estimate was $5500 for everything wrong today. We were quoted $3500 parts/labor just for head gasket costs.
    We are a family of Toyota’s. Camry that went above 250,000 miles, an Avalon that lasted until 225,000 miles, a Highlander that’s still going over 100,000 currently and so this 4Runner is starting to make me wonder if this generation is flawed? Is it worth putting that much into it? Am I starting the “beginning of the end”? Is this a know problem in 4th generation? Do I just trade in?? Thinking of calling around for more quotes. Hard to swallow putting all that money into it at this point?!?! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:40 AM
    Large

Large New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Did you buy it used? Previous owner might have been doing a lot of donuts.
    Axle seal and CV ain't bad to change on your own with the proper tools, the head gasket would be a pain though.
    Not a flawed generation, but shit happens to all vehicles. If you think the dealer / mechanic isn't yanking your chain go ahead and get it fixed and you should have a pretty reliable vehicle for a long time. Wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion though imo.

3. Apr 4, 2019 at 4:57 AM
    Benny123

Benny123 Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    OP, Most of that stuff is maintenance. I did most of those things on my 4runner as well. You are over 100,000 miles, so stuff wears out. The rear axle seal is a rare one (reader note: make sure your rear diff breather is working or it will occur again!), and so is the HG on an 08. The bad head gasket was changed for the 07 production year.

I also blew a HG on my Taco last year. 05. One year after I bought it. It was a major issue in 05 06. I searched for 3 weeks, and could not find anyone reputable who could do it for under $3500. Many shops admitted they could not do it. It is a major procedure. The entire engine comes out on a hoist. Now you could hire a private mechanic, but then that has its own risks too.

Ended up taking to the dealer and they did the water pump, alternator and thermostat for free, since they had to take them off anyways. I already had the parts. It dulled the pain slightly.

As far as trading it in, tough call, depends how much you love the vehicle. I love my Taco, so I bit the bullet. It fucking sucked, but it runs like a champ now. Dealer also gave me a lifetime warranty on the gasket and repair. Private mechanic could not do that. Thats how confident they were in their engine team.

Ill tell you, youll eat the $3500 either way, whether you trade it in or have them fix it, so you just have to decide how you'll take it. I know, it sucks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. Apr 5, 2019 at 6:20 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Yeah definitely sucks but I'd shop around or if you know another capable garage get a quote. Personally I wouldn't worry to much about it not being guaranteed for a long time the vehicle is already 11 years old chances are 10 other things will go before a fixed head gasket. Depends on your tolerance for chance and how much you want to gamble. Myself if my local garage (who I like) quoted 4 or 500 less I'd go with them on a repair like that. If you sleep better at night having the dealer do it let them...

Products Discussed in

To Top