1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 runner runs normal except at start up plus OBD Codes

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Mabann, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Nov 27, 2019 at 9:31 PM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    At cold start it idles weird the check engine light flashes about four times and then levels out and drives perfectly.
    While driving the temperature gauge intermittently goes up all the way to hot and then right back down to the middle, mostly at idle and sometime just while driving. The check engine light is on constant as well as the swervey car icon and the VSC Trac light. There is also a gurgling noise coming from behind the middle of the dashboard. The heater takes forever to warm up and I live in Arizona and it's doesn't really get that cold where I am at..(but I still run it in the morning)
    My OBD is reading a misfire in four, six and a random misfire. P0304, P0306, P0300
    There is NO smoke coming from the exhaust and NO water/coolant in the oil.
    I have
    Checked all fluid levels and they are optimal.
    Changed the spark plugs and coils.
    Changed the gas cap.
    Replaced the fuel pump relay.
    Replaced the thermostat.
    Cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
    Replaced the air filter.
    Burped the radiator to remove any air bubbles.
    Added seafoam to the gas tank.
    And it is still showing the codes and having trouble during cold start.
    I am not sure where to go from here. Anyone familiar with this? I feel like it is falling apart and everything is breaking all at once but I am unable to find the culprit for the misfires. Please help before I have to send her to the junker. Also it has 228677 miles on it with regular oil changes of Mobile 1 synthetic high mileage.

2. Nov 28, 2019 at 2:01 AM
    Libagui

Libagui New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Librado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4runner limited.
    Fuel pressure?

3. Nov 28, 2019 at 4:19 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    blown head gasket?

Libagui likes this.
  4. Nov 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    Possibly the fuel pump. I will check that Friday.
    Don't think it's the head gasket. It doesn't have most of the symptoms....

5. Nov 28, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    Allaboutfamily

Allaboutfamily Regular Hound Dog

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner trd off road premium
    Instead of throwing all this money at it, you should read the codes and start there. Many auto parts stores will read the codes for free or you can buy a good obd adapter from Amazon for $20.
    Sounds like you possibly have a blown HG or maybe even a clogged heater core (the gurgling sound behind the dash). Not all blown HG will result in contaminated oil or detectable loss of fluid.
    You'd be money ahead even taking it to a reputable mechanic for a diagnosis verses throwing money at various components hoping it'll fix the issue.

Ooos my bad, didn't see the part you read the codes with your reader. Sounds like a HG to me.

6. Nov 28, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    Benny123

Benny123 Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    2005 was a higher risk for a blown head gasket. I would take it to a dealer to do a pressure test of that cylinder. Cylinder 6 misfire is the most common OBD code when a HG goes.

I know it sucks but if you dont find out you can damage your catalytic converter as well.

Mabann[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 30, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    99.99% certain you are very low on coolant. Gurgling and erratic heater/temp gage are the giveaways. The question is why are you low on coolant. Failed head gasket is a leading cause. Head gasket is supported by your report of rough running, then smoothing out.

Fill the cooling system up, it may take several gulps as it fills, in ingests the coolant. Be sure you get the system 100% filled, including the reservoir. Then watch it for a period of a few weeks. It cannot be emphasized too strongly, that you need to fill the system completely.

The 4Runner heater system performs poorly with anything less than 100% coolant level.

Other things to check:
    - chocolate milk looking substance in the oil fill neck
    - inconsistent spark plug color when looking at all cylinders. They should all have a consistent light dry color, with no moist gunk or buildup.
    - steam from the exhaust at startup or idle
    - leaks on the side of the engine. If the engine is too dirty to see leaks, pressure wash it thoroughly and observe over a period of time.
    - gradual reduction of coolant level
    - sweet smell from exhaust
    - drain the oil and look for coolant

You might also be low on refrigerant, as the TXV can also make sounds audible in the interior. The evaporators on these vehicles are known to leak slowly at high mileage. So fill up the coolant, and fill the refrigerant (one can should do it), and observe closely.

8. Nov 30, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    I wish I could say you are correct, but it is not low on coolent. The coolant level is optimal. I am going to do a leak down test to confirm. But I have been checking my coolant like a crazy person and it is clean and full. The oil is also very clean. Others have said that the coolant will leak into the heads very slowly around the mileage I have, and that it is a common problem. I just don't see any coolant loss at all...

9. Nov 30, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    Compression check is a good test. Another test would be to check for a coolant leak. “Borrow” a cooling system pressure tester from a parts place (a parts place that loans tools will charge you the purchase price of the tool, then refund your money when you return it). Make sure the coolant system is completely full (the radiator itself, not the coolant recovery tank, water is fine). This may take a few cycles of running and topping off. With the engine off and not hot, put the pressure tester on the radiator opening and pump it up so the tester gauge reads whatever the radiator cap is rated at (14psi is common). Let it sit and watch the gauge over 10 or 15 minutes. There should be zero pressure loss. If there is loss, there is a leak somewhere that you can now look for.

If you can’t find an external leak, re-pressurize the system several more times letting the pressure drop each time. Then pull all the spark plugs. Crank it over for a few seconds then check the spark plug holes. If there is any water around one of the holes, that cylinder has a has a head gasket leak.

Mabann[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 2, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    Compression test confirmed head gasket leak in cylinders 4 & 6.

chassis and Libagui like this.
  11. Dec 3, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    How prevalent is a blown Hg on the 2005 4runners? Is high miles an indicator? 150,000?

At 140,000 miles mine runs like new, starts up on first crank.

in 15 years from new I’ve never had a check engine lite on the dash.

She does eat up starters - about 1 every 4 years.

Mine has seen all short trips as I live in Nassau Bahamas an island just 28 miles long.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  12. Dec 3, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    Benny123

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear that OP, now you have to make the difficult decision to keep and fix or think about another vehicle. When my 05 Taco HG blew, very few shops wanted to do it. It became dealer vs a good friend who can help you do it, if possible.

Had the overflow gurgling and dash waterfall sounds. No check engine light came on. That happens later as it progresses. Dealer pressure test failed at 7 hours, cylinder 6. This is why you have to test them overnight.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  13. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    From my research it looks like the 2005 has an issue with the blown head gasket. They changed the design for the 2006 model and up. I didn't have an issue until I was over 200k. You should still have a good 80k at least left on it.

captsolo[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    I had no choice but to put the blue devil head gasket sealer in and I am going to drive it until it won't drive any more. It has seemed to have fixed the problem. No more codes, no more gurgling, no more skipping during acceleration, the heater comes on fast and hot. My buddy owns a mechanic shop out here and he said it was good stuff and to at least try it since I really can't think about getting a new vehicle right now or paying for new head gaskets. And so far I am pleased with the results, fingers crossed.

15. Dec 4, 2019 at 1:53 AM
    Benny123

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    That'll likely further damage your engine or rad but its your truck. Lots of info on that online. Good luck.

16. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    YES. But does blown head gasket happen to every 2005 and up 4runner 10% of the time? 50%? 90%?

17. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    :(
    Trust me I didn't want to do it and am not happy about having to.

18. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    Mabann

Mabann [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 4runner
    I am no expert so I don't know. I am sure it depends on how you drive it, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top