1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 4Runner with hard shifting transmission

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by ATX4Runner, May 13, 2016.

1. May 13, 2016 at 10:10 AM
    ATX4Runner

ATX4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2005 V8 4Runner with 73k miles. I am experiencing very hard shifting when traveling 60 MPH and above. It is very evident when descending and ascending the rolling hills outside of town. It occurs on both down shifting and up shifting. The shifts are very hard and "clunky". A passenger was with me the other day and was startled by how hard the shifts were so, I know it is just not me. I took it to a transmission shop. They drove it around the corner a few times and did not experience any clunking. I told them it happens on the highway only. They said if something was wrong it would be throwing off a code on their machine and when they hooked it up there were no codes. I love this truck but, I need to get this fixed or I will have to sell it. It is just too annoying and I drive out of town regularly and cannot afford to be stranded.
    Any suggestions on the cause of this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. May 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM
    Chris

Chris New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Ltd
    This and that
    Find a better shop. It's just not true than transmissions will throw a code when shifting hard. I suggest changing the fluid as a starting place assuming it has the original fluid.

3. May 14, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    yeah your transmission isn't going to generate a DTC, id change the fluid as chris said, thats the most logical place to start

4. Jun 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM
    ATX4Runner

ATX4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Update on my transmission problem. While the symptoms pointed to a transmission problem, it turned out to be a defective ignition coil. The defective coil resulted in misfiring. The misfiring manifested as really clunky shifts. Gotta give kudos to the dealership on this one. They figured it out. After the fix my 4Runner is running great.

Products Discussed in

To Top