1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 4Runner intermittent problem- engine sluggish

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Quicksilver05, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    Quicksilver05

Quicksilver05 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver 4Runner
    Thanks for the welcome. I recently changed the oil in our 4Runner with Amsoil about 1000 miles ago in November. I ran an engine flush through it first...good idea bad idea I don't know. However, here recently I've noticed that my Runner doesn't seem as peppy at times. I can go turn it on to go somewhere and it responds quite nicely with just a little touch to the accelerator. I can shut it off, go into the store, come back in 15 mins or less, engine still up to temp, take off and it's a little sluggish not responding the same. Sounds a little differently too. Not really bad sounding. Idles great. No engine codes. Had a friendhook up a hand held computer diagnostic...nothing.
    It can do just the opposite...seems sluggish at the start, gets up to temp after just a few miles...no change. Still has decent power, but you have to push accelerator down a little further to down shift to really go. Turn it off, start it back up, and responds normally. Just purchased Runner in May 2017 from dealership with 152k on it. Great condition. Tune up, not sure?

2. Jan 12, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    do you know what maintenance has been done on it? are the spark plugs in good condition. if theres a fouled plug temp can play a role there as well. Not sure if that would solve your issues but it could be a starting point

Bob likes this.
  3. May 4, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    Please describe the engine flush you performed.

Products Discussed in

To Top