1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 rear tailgate issue

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Omer, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Oct 5, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    Omer

Omer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Omer
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2004 v8 limited
    Hey all,
    4runner 2004 v8 limited, having this guy for more than 2 years with no issues.
    4 days ago I couldn't open the tailgate door. Opened the tailgate panel from inside and released the hatch manually. Then I disconnected the ECU cable to restart the system. It worked perfectly, but only for 3 days.
    Today I did the same procedure but with no success. I can close the tailgate door, the lock making his sound but can't open.
    There's only one way I can open the tailgate gate door (not manually from the tailgate back panel) - remove the ECU-B fuse (10A), connect it back, lock the car with the key fob, unlocked with holding the unlock button (key fob) for 2 seconds and then the door opens, but when I close it again it locked.
    I noticed as well to a different mechanism / vacuum sound.
    I did lubricated the whole mechanism.
    Please, someone had the same problem and can assist? All youtube videos are the same and my case is a bit different.

2. Oct 13, 2022 at 12:54 PM
    Omer

Omer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Omer
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2004 v8 limited
  3. Dec 9, 2023 at 12:42 AM
    apitbullgirl

apitbullgirl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stacy
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport
    Hello, did you happen to find out what was happening? Im having similar issue with my 06 sport. Hatch stopped working and could only access by putting the window down. The key would only turn to the right and not the left. If I pushed the unlock/lock you could hear movement but no opening. I read on one of the forms about the ECU-B fuse so I tried switching it with the extra 10A fuse and it would work for a few days. Then every time I would want to get into the back I would have to take out the fuse and replace it to reset the hatch lock. Ended up taking it to the dealer and the foreman at Toyota said he has no idea why removing the ECU-B fuse was resetting the hatch lock assembly. Told me my key was worn and needed to rekey my 4runner because it was too worn. However after telling showing him about the fuse the key turns great. So not the key. Now he wants to tear apart my back door, replace the lock and check the wires one by one. No. I decided to stop at autozone on my way home and picked up two new 10A fuses and so far for 2 weeks I havent had a problem with the hatch opening. So I am curious what you found out.

4. Dec 9, 2023 at 7:01 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Switching the fuse is just resetting the ECU-B, which is the little control unit that is in the rear hatch. You don't need to replace the 10A fuse every time, just pull it out and then put it back in. Unless the fuse is blowing, then you have a different issue. Pull it out and look at the fuse to see if it's blown and I bet it isn't.

I think the real issue you are experiencing is a failing ECU-B. Toyota part # 8922235010, you can buy it from partsouq.com for $161 plus shipping.

You have to take the rear door panel off the rear hatch to access it but it's not difficult, just awkward working on the rear hatch when it's open.

As for the dealership telling you that you need to re-key just because of worn keys, that's utter BS. Just buy a new key and have them cut it for you based off your VIN. A re-key is a waste of time and money otherwise.

ecu-B-rear-hatch.jpg

5. Dec 10, 2023 at 3:16 PM
    apitbullgirl

apitbullgirl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stacy
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport
    You are correct the fuse isn't blown and I would take it out and push back in and it would work for a few days. Got the new fuse to see what would happen and so far it has worked. If it starts again I will look into the ecu replacement. Thanks for the tip.

Yes definitely a money grab with the key. Works fine when there is power to the hatch.

xtremewlr likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top