1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 v8 4x4

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by hutty, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Mar 31, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    hutty

hutty [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Hello everyone! I have been looking to buy a 2nd gen tacoma or a 4th gen 4runner recently. I just found a 2003 V8 4x4 4runner sr5 with 130k miles. I know these engines are pretty much bullet proof but was wondering what peoples experiences with the engine and transmissions lifespans are. The car is listed by a local dealer for $17k and is unbelievably clean with some modifications. This is pretty much my dream car and am just looking for some peoples experience with the early 4th gen v8 engines. Thanks!

2. Mar 31, 2021 at 11:05 AM
    importman

importman The mountains are calling and I must go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    While I don't have the V8 I can still attest to their longevity. I had two 1st gen Tundras with that engine and they're like you said, bulletproof. Keep the oil changed and replace the timing belt on schedule and don't abuse it and you will have a good chance of getting 500K+ out of it. I know I've read about more than one that reached 1million miles. Don't know about the tranny. I know the one behind the V6 is good for a lot of miles and I would expect no less from the one in the V8 vehicles. My 2nd Tundra had close to 200K on it when I sold it and never had any engine or transmission, (or any other) problems.
    Edit to add: With all that being said, 17K seems kinda high for that vehicle. Even with the low miles and great condition, that's a lot of money for an 03. I would expect more in the 12-13K price range.

SlvrSlug and hutty[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 11, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    jonzn4suse

jonzn4suse New Member

Member:
    2003 Sports Edition V8

Products Discussed in

To Top