1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 4R Console Astray Lid Popped Apart - Any Fixes?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by JLouis, May 13, 2024.

1. May 13, 2024 at 4:05 PM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    Hi, can anyone please tell me how to reassemble the console ashtray lid? Pics would be hugely helpful. I'm new here and haven't found a thread pertaining to this assembly.
    Thnx!

2. May 15, 2024 at 6:05 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport 4WD @ 256K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    Can you post a pic of what you've got going on? That would be helpful.

3. May 15, 2024 at 10:16 AM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    Hi, it was not working correctly when I bought the vehicle and in removal to work on it, it just fell apart. I don't see any broken plastic. Just understanding how it is supposed to be assembled is what I'm lacking.
    Thanks!

4. May 15, 2024 at 10:18 AM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    The picture didn't show up so trying again.

TOY AT.jpg

5. May 15, 2024 at 10:38 AM
    gkomo

gkomo New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    I tried taking a photo of my 'working tray' but you can't really see how its assembled without taking it apart. Do the 'gears' need to be on opposite sides or do they mesh together somehow? I think the tricky part will be figuring out how the springs get seated on each side, where i think the bigger spring would go on the side with the bigger gear and the smaller spring on the side with the smaller gear (unless both gears mesh together).

4runner Tray Assembly.jpg

6. May 15, 2024 at 11:26 AM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    Hi, the gears must mesh and also they appear to need the correct indexing to operate properly. Also, that larger spring has to seat a certain way for it all to work correctly as you've surmised.
    Thanks for checking!

7. May 15, 2024 at 4:25 PM
    Muggsy71

Muggsy71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2003 4runner
    58811E
    https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/4runner/grn210l/2839/body/5855/58811E/

Take more pics of both ends. I’d say you have some missing parts down in the console underneath. Try to put it together, don’t worry about the springs till you figure out how it goes together. The gears would have to go together. The Phillips screw with a collar type thing on it fits in that round hole. The little tit thing looks like it rides in that narrow curved track.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  8. May 16, 2024 at 8:10 AM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    use 1.jpg use 2.jpg

So after fiddling with this assembly, I was finally able to assemble it to working function again.

Trial and error for the tension spring.

Problem was, the Phillips head screw with a shoulder for pivot had stripped the threads in the plastic housing. Thus it falls apart.
    I found a longer screw of that thread-type and some very small steel tubing to make a replacement shoulder bushing. I found it necessary to drill a small pilot hole in the housing to accommodate the longer screw.

There is a very small pin that tracks in a grooved swing-arm which allows for the cover to open and click shut.
    That pin was bent. It was in not so good condition seeing how it's made of mild steel, and measures 0.88 mm diameter and 5 mm in length.
    I found a medium size paperclip to be a perfect diameter and cut a longer one as replacement. Roughed up its surface and epoxied it back into position with a little extra length.
    Also, I noticed the assembly at both ends has spread at both ends which makes the pin fall out of its track.

I was wrong in thinking the gears had to be meshed in a particular fashion - doesn't seem to matter just as long as they mesh.

On the other end, there is a larger metal pin for pivot and it was 'backed out' of its hole and so I pushed it in beyond it's normal 'flush' position considering the weakening of the ends over time and put a dab of epoxy on it as well.

Now the whole assembly works as it's supposed to.
    For how long will it last? Anybody's guess, but at least it can be touched up again.

(BTW, the little spring pictured is for the cig. Lighter lid and is not related).

Since it's right in line-of-sight, I wanted it to look good. Don't smoke but can store change.

If this happens to yours and you need any other info, let me know.

Muggsy71 likes this.
  9. May 18, 2024 at 3:58 AM
    Muggsy71

Muggsy71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2003 4runner
    Sounds like you did a good job McGyvering that thing back together. I suspect someone was trying to cram too much stuff in there and force it shut. Ny 12v door broke long ago but I always kept something plugged into it because I didn’t want change to fall inside and blow the fuse.

10. May 18, 2024 at 5:56 AM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    Thanks.
    Yeah, it would be easy to short out that socket - never thought about that.

11. May 21, 2024 at 6:07 PM
    Socal Sam

Socal Sam New(ish) Member

Member:
    So. Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Limited V6
    Remove shift knob and pull up shifter surround. You can access ashtray mech from the inside.

12. May 22, 2024 at 5:04 AM
    JLouis

JLouis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner Sr5
    Cool, thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top