1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 4Runner acceleration

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by donutman2, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Oct 2, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    donutman2

donutman2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner
    none
    New member from Florida
    Just started, trying to identify problem with either traction control or VSC

When I press on the accelerator, the vehicle is very slow to move, I can put it in neutral accelerate and put back into drive and it will proceed ok. This does not happen all the time. The mechanic cannot trace problem since it does not happen all the time and no code shows
    I have seen articles where they mention calibrate the VSC system. Is this viable or will it do damage to the system. Another fix I saw was cleaning the throttle body.
    Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Oct 6, 2017 at 3:57 AM
    Heavy26R

Heavy26R New Member

Member:
    Is this after a cold start? From a complete stop to starting to move? Or is the engine slow to respond to the gas peddle? Does the engine race a bit, but truck not move? I had a 1990 4Runner do this when the transmission needed a rebuild. Problem goes away after the transmission warmed up. I had the transmission rebuilt. Hard to have a mechanic witness it because when you drive to the shop, the transmission is warmed up.

3. Oct 6, 2017 at 5:34 AM
    donutman2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner
    none
    I believe this does not have to do with the transmission, since none of the problems exist as you mentioned, except for the slow response. As previously mentioned this seems to relate to a problem with the VSC system/traction control. I am wondering if other 2002 4 Runner owners have experienced the same problem, if so what did they do to correct the problem. I came across a article where owners re-calibrated the VSC system and this corrected the problem.
    Thank you for your response

4. Oct 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM
    Heavy26R

Heavy26R New Member

Member:
    What are your RPMs doing? When you stomp on the gas do RPMs respond to your peddle push and then the car response is delayed? Or are RPMs delayed in response to peddle push? If responding, do the RPMs go up in a smooth manner or do they jump up and fall down some? Any check engine codes?

5. Oct 6, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    donutman2

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner
    none
    No check engine codes I have noticed the the traction control icon sometimes will flash briefly. Which indicates the traction control is activated. This acts if the traction control system kicks in and lasts as long as it takes the system to reset. When this happens the car will move slowly then will proceed normally.This based upon when the traction control has activated in the past before(wet roads or snow) I have not paid attention to the RPMs.

Products Discussed in

To Top