1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 SR5 Cranks but Won't Start

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Kato, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Nov 13, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Kato

Kato [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Hey guys, I'm hoping someone could help me out with a problem. This started a couple of months ago when the truck began topping out at around 70 mph. At this point it began to hesitate shifting gears, most noticeably taking off from a stop. I'm talking old ladies would be honking at me slow. On any kind of hill it would hit 55 mph max. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran perfectly for a week, no problems whatsoever. I used the old fuel screen because it didn't come with one, and the old still looked pretty clean, so did the inside of the tank. After about a week, it started to randomly lose power on the road and drop to about 10 mph, then fix itself (sometimes quickly and sometimes it took hours). It did this about 5 times on and off, then it got to where it would only rev up but not move. I ran some Seafoam through it, which helped a little but not much. The only other insight I can give is that it turned all the new spark plugs black within a month, but I've replaced them again. It's been sitting in my driveway ever since. I removed the battery to have it recharged, and when I put it back on it would crank over but not start. That's where I'm at now.

Things I've replaced; everything is OEM where I could find it:
    New fuel pump.
    New fuel injectors, all 6.
    New fuel filter.
    New plug wires.
    New spark plugs.
    New air filter.
    New MAF sensor (was throwing a code for this but the new one didn't seem to change anything).
    The O2 sensors on the exhaust were done last year.
    Someone thought it might've been the catalytic converter because it was trying to backfire through the air filter box, so we removed the catalytic converter to test that but nothing changed.
    The battery isn't great, but when the car was running it never went dead on me.

The only code I have stored is for a random cylinder misfire, I believe it is P0300. If I can get it to idle I'll search for new codes.

2. Nov 13, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    Kato

Kato [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I forgot to mention that I cleaned the throttle body as well.

3. Nov 14, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    Which Engine do you have? So now it turns over but will not start now? :notsure:

4. Nov 14, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    Kato

Kato [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    It's the 3.4L V6. And yeah, the engine turns over just fine but it doesn't want to start.

To Top