1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 4Runner sitting for 3 years

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Khaleahsi, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Jan 14, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    Khaleahsi

Khaleahsi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Black 4Runner
    I know little about cars in general so I hope I won't get torn apart too bad here.

I got my 2000 4Runner Limited in 2013. It was my daily driver for 5 years. Now, it has been sitting in the driveway for the past 3 and a half years. Before I stopped driving it, it was having some issues. It was stalling and dying while driving, and there was a rapid clicking sound coming from the relay.

At the time I didn't have the funds to take it somewhere to get it fixed so it just sat there. My eldest son will be 16 soon and I feel like it'll be good to try to work on it with him in the hopes we can get it running so he can drive it. I have my fiance, who knows more about cars than me, has the tools for us to use and can help when he can, so we won't be going in completely unknowledgeable.

My main question is what should I do first since it's been sitting there for 3 years? I know I'd have to change all fluids, get a new battery, and what else?
    What could the issue be with the relay?

Thanks in advance!

Nic1996Toy likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    With Me being a much more technical Person who has worked on many types of Toyota's and machines (doing Robotics now) One of the First things I do with something I know a little about is to get a service manual for that particular year and model to have something to look at.

Second Identify what relay the rapid clicking sound is coming from and ask yourself the question did the rapid clicking sound come first then it stall? possible fuel pump issue But wait! Do not start Tearing Anything apart to try this and try that! because that is how to make things worst! it could be a loose electrical connection and that is where if you take the time and it does require patience's and care.

So it has been sitting 3 years outside in the weather? I would not count on the Gas in it to be good so a fuel treatment is in order there, plus you may find a mouse home or two and hope they did not mess with the wires.

Personally It may be best in look at the help option... Here are some ideas for that. Does the school that your son's is in have an Auto Mechanic Class? it never hurts to ask or a Vocational School associated with the School? there are lot's of students that take Auto Class that do not have something to work on and contact with the Shop Teacher can be helpful. Harder to do is local Toyota 4 X 4 groups but never hurts to try because there are amazing number of great people in them who have excellent skills with your kind of issues that you are looking at.

But Like I stated here Do Not start tearing things apart and throwing money at the "try this and try that" parts swap outs since many times that only makes something simple turn into a ugly expensive mess.

Prove the problem out Know what it is then fix. and Good Luck!

3. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:25 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

4. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    GodOfDirt

GodOfDirt New Member

Member:
    STL, MO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray ORP
    GOBI Ranger & Ladder RSG Flat Rails WeBoost Cell Amp
    Well put wdsteven.

I would suggest starting a note book (paper wont loose charge). Start with all the vehicle specs and numbers so they can be on hand when searching for parts or such.

Detail the issues your attempting to resolve and keep track of what attempts have been made to fix.

negusm and wdsteven like this.
  5. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    Superdave1.0

Superdave1.0 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    #1 is drain the gas tank all the way and start with fresh fuel. New battery. Maybe turn the engine over by hand to make sure it rotates freely. Oil change and any other easy maintenance items like air filter. Then get to diagnosing the issues you had before letting it sit.

suaveflooder and wdsteven like this.
  6. Jan 20, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    change fluids for starters..check electrical...and look for dry rot in tires, etc welcome to the forum

7. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome from Arizona!

8. Jan 21, 2022 at 1:27 PM
    FixinMy4Runner

FixinMy4Runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Exact same issue with exact same vehicle. I bought my 2000 4Runner about 4 years ago at an auction. I planned on keeping it for my camping vehicle but found a 1999 Jeep TJ a week later and started wheeling it instead. I owned a dealership at the time so wasn't paying insurance or tax on it so left it at a friends lot until I decided if I should fix it and have 2 camping vehicles. Life went by and it sat for close to 4 years ago. New gas, gas filter, oil change, power steering pump, and tires (very dry rotted) and it fired right up and has been driving fine. The power steering pump was the only surprise. I guess the fluid did not like sitting that long. It also has developed a leak that I think is the rack and pinion. Rubber seals and gaskets don't like sitting that long. Surprisingly, the belts seem fine. I need to change the diff oil and AT fluid to but so far so good. I am amazed at how well it drives and kinda wished I had built it instead of the Jeep 4 years ago. Enjoy it.

Products Discussed in

To Top